PDA

View Full Version : 650ex conversion

whoblegear
09-28-2003, 10:57 PM
I am currently building a 650ex , in a stock 400ex frame. i have the motor in place and square but am having some minor problems. the stock oil tank dont really fit and the intake boot has the wrong angle, any suggestions on where to get an aftermarket tank that will fit and where i can get an intake boot that will have the correct angle to use the stock air ducting
has anyone done this yet any suggestions would be great :devil:

TheX1992
09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
what type of 650 motor is it? maybe you can put a 400ex tank on it or rig up something else. ive seen people take small tranny coolers from cars and use them for oil coolers on wheelers. so anythings possible. for the airboot, well, if you can find something to work...make something. cut a few angles and piece it together with soemthing. who knows. maybe you could take a big piece of radiator hose or soemthing. keep your mind open for crazy ideas

MITrail400EX
09-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Hey, I think the radiator hose idea would work best for the intake boot. Just find a universal style hose and cut it to fit. As far as the oil tank, you could probably take some measurements, mock one up using cardboard and have a metal/ custom shop make it up for you. It shouldn't cost any more than a pingry or other aftermarket tank. Plus, I would find a small trans or oil cooler from a car and mount it on your frame for the extra cooling. You'll need all the help you can get with that thumper on there. My big question is this: What did you do to your frame to allow it to handle the added stress from the big motor. I know that Service honda had to brace the 400ex frame for when they install the 250r motor into it. I'd imagine that the 650 makes equal if not more power than the 250r. It sounds to me like you know what you are doing if your already at running the intake and oil lines, but I'm just curious to see how you did it.

mikesutphin
09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
is it an r motor or l motor i want to do the same thing where did you get the motor id like to see some pics i seen a warrier with a xr650l motor in it and he spanked my 250r very bad

Bad Habit
09-29-2003, 07:13 PM
I also ran against a guy with a XR650L motor in a warrior at Little Sahara in OK. He had a +3 swinger and still could not keep the front end down. But once he got it on the ground, he was gone. It was very impressive. He severely spanked every piped Raptor he ran against, only a Raptor with a bottle and another on alky could beat him. Oh ya, he handled most of the 250r's as well.

swamprider7
09-30-2003, 10:31 AM
A few pics would be nice:) :) :)

whoblegear
10-01-2003, 02:56 PM
thanks guys, here is the info,
it is a 1997 xr650L, i will not have a problem with the oil cooler it is the tank i am having trouble with, when i get this monster done i will try to post some pics, man this thing is going to rip some s*** up!!:D

whoblegear
10-01-2003, 02:58 PM
i do wish i had the R motor though, alot more juice ,He He

Bad Habit
10-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Ya but with the L motor being air cooled, most people won't know any different. The ulitmate sleeper.:macho

whoblegear
10-01-2003, 09:09 PM
ultimate slepper is right that engine dont look much different from the 400, you cant tell unless you look close:devil:

Butters
10-01-2003, 10:33 PM
its gunna be awesome. make sure and post pics. i can't wait to see it. :D

hondarider2006
10-01-2003, 11:51 PM
I think you should put some 300ex fenders on it, with 300ex decals....it will be great to look at the peoples faces as you blow them away doing 90+mph....2