PDA

View Full Version : why the price difference between 4stroke and 2stroke pipes?

lil400exman
09-28-2003, 07:25 PM
I mean in fact a 2-stroke pipe is more expensive and time consuming to make unlike a 4 stroke pipe but a 4 stroke total system costs well over 500 bucks. Why is this? Could someone please elaborate please? thanks pj!:) :confused:

ATVer14
09-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Supply and Demand? The 4-stroke pipe makers are just trying to make a large profit off a hot item. Also, since 2-strokes are becoming rare, prices probably need to be dropped to keep people from going to a four stroke. Just my .02 cents.

Jeffksf
09-28-2003, 08:27 PM
I agree and it's not just pipes look at A-arms now. Plus figure in all the competition out there, you would think with all these manufactures out there the prices would come down. Look at all the pipe manufactures, I think dirtwheels had 25 different pipes in there last shootout, and that wasn't even all of them! Heck 6 years ago I bought a complete Supertrapp system for my Mojave for $185, granted it was a Supertrapp but still. I guess thats what you get for being involved with a very booming hobby right now:rolleyes:

Chanman420q
09-28-2003, 10:27 PM
i think that the 4 stroke pipes cost more because not only does the header give performance, so does the slip on. On a 2 stroke, u just ad the slip on or silencer, ur basicly only changing the sound. But on a 4 stroke ull get performance.

whoblegear
09-28-2003, 11:05 PM
some of the materials in 4 stroke exhaust systems are more expensive (ex. titanium,stainless steel) where as most of the two stroke systems are just mild steel, or polished aluminum, silencers for two strokes are also smaller, and they do make a difference on your powerband, they are not just to make it sound cool