PDA

View Full Version : Getting new K&N filter!!

erichsen18
09-28-2003, 11:19 AM
alright, im going to buy a K&N air filter with the outerwear and i was just wondering is this is a good decision? and with me puttin that filter on, would i have to adjust anything to do with the carb? thanks alot

ReconRider25
09-28-2003, 11:34 AM
i didnt change any jetting or anything when i put mine on and it runs great.

ride300exrider
09-28-2003, 12:11 PM
yea i like my k+n alot

RuffRyder400ex
09-28-2003, 02:17 PM
do you notice a power difference with the filter

ride300exrider
09-28-2003, 02:27 PM
when i added my filter i also added a pipe and jets so i noticed a big difference, i cant say for just adding a filter:rolleyes2

ReconRider25
09-28-2003, 03:12 PM
i noticed a difference in throttle responce and it accelerated just a little faster.

bigbadbrad
09-28-2003, 06:33 PM
on my 300ex when i put just the k&n on i noticed my motor ran better, and i had a little more power. i liked my k&n so much, i bouught one for my truck

Flip_SideEX
09-28-2003, 06:53 PM
i like my K&N for the throttle response and little power increase, but for filtration it seems to be a poor filter, even with an outerwear. also you have to clean it very very often. i was more satisfied with my Uni...but that's just my opinion, because i'd rather have better filtration than more power.

Glamis400ex
09-28-2003, 08:15 PM
A properly maintained K&N filter is hard to beat for airflow. *Check it every ride.*The most important factor in engine HP/performance is the amount of air the carb can gobble up, the more, the better.

Glamis

pnut420
09-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
A properly maintained K&N filter is hard to beat for airflow. *Check it every ride.*The most important factor in engine HP/performance is the amount of air the carb can gobble up, the more, the better.

Glamis

True. Me and my brother went to the track and with the k&N and outerwear it still seemed to be getting through, Im going to look better tomorrow, they flow awesome, but I think the filtration is pretty poor, I might go with a Uni or Sparks filter, my 426 will have plenty of power, I dont need an extra 1/4 hp out of my filter.

Glamis400ex
09-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Pnut,
I hear what your'e saying about the 1/4 hp thing.

The key is to not run in real heavy dust, that's bad. I only ride the sand so it works very well for my situation. YMMV

Glamis

pnut420
09-28-2003, 08:58 PM
The K&N seems sweet for the sand, if not better than foam cause the sand sticks in the holes of the foam filter, but in a dusty situation,(almost all tracks Ive rode) you cant beat the filtration of a foam filter, thats why they come stock with foam filters...

Diedrich
09-28-2003, 09:34 PM
yeah i like my k&n but i think i might get a uni to use at the track and when its real dry out..but k&n is great for sand

Toadz400
09-29-2003, 10:05 AM
yea, Flip_SideEX was me...i was on my friend's account, but my K&N filters dust very poorly so that's why i prefer a Uni for my riding, which is trails (gets pretty dusty) and the track which is even dustier sometimes.

ATVer14
09-29-2003, 02:39 PM
You may get more power from a K&N, but when you seize your engine from sucking in too much dust and dirt, you'll probably wish you went with a foam filter.

erichsen18
09-29-2003, 03:41 PM
well, after hearing all of the bad things about K&N. I think im goin to get a UNI filter. I just wanna know what all comes with the UNI filter? is is just a foam piece and you use the stock inner filter? or if the UNI comes with the whole inside piece too?

09-29-2003, 03:51 PM
lol...k&n with outerwear over the filter...cant beat it

Toadz400
09-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
lol...k&n with outerwear over the filter...cant beat it

are you being sarcastic? in my opinion, and for the safety of my engine, i prefer Uni because of it's better filtration. i run a Uni on my banshee, and a K&N WITH an outerwear on my 400 and my 400 always has dirt on the inside of the intake boot, and everything is on tight, pretty new filter, no tears/holes, perfectly fine. the intake on my banshee is spotless, no dirt whatsoever. sure K&N gives better throttle response, but i'm more worried about what's going in and what's not....just my .02

please refer to quote below ;)

You may get more power from a K&N, but when you seize your engine from sucking in too much dust and dirt, you'll probably wish you went with a foam filter.

09-29-2003, 04:01 PM
well i have no problems at all...no dirt...no nothing...so maybe urs is mest up or somethin...jus my .02 ;) :blah: ...and my engine was took out by a pos foam filter...so i dont wanna hear jack about how they filter better...cuz they dont

Glamis400ex
09-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Relax ladies...:rolleyes:

This is a free country, ask our opinions, and buy what you feel is the best for your situation. Not every item works the best for every person or situation...

Glamis

northeast400
09-29-2003, 06:09 PM
K&N filters are fine if you clean them after every ride. I run a foam filter. There must be a reason engine builders use foam.

09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
ya that must be y sparks makes foam and gauze...hrmm..?

Toadz400
09-29-2003, 08:33 PM
well i have no problems at all...no dirt...no nothing...so maybe urs is mest up or somethin...jus my .02 ;) :blah: ...and my engine was took out by a pos foam filter...so i dont wanna hear jack about how they filter better...cuz they dont

i have heard about a lot of K&N's and not filtering too well, with dirt and dust. but also i've heard about a lot of Uni's "seizing" up engines, but i think that may be because of other problems that people didn't notice....but who knows, maybe they didn't oil their Uni's, and maybe it just didn't work too well for them. like Glamis said it's all about opinions and not everything works for everything....

09-29-2003, 08:37 PM
ya its all personall preferance and running conditions...but a foam already took out my engine...so i wont do that again :rolleyes:

pnut420
09-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Im going to run K&N in the sand, but not on tracks. my brother has a K&N, we cleaned it and oiled it and out the outerwear on, after riding on the track for 4 - 5 hours, I looked in the intake boot and there was dust.

A properly oiled foam filter cant be beat, I mean how is it going to go throw the oil, then the filter and into the engine, the oil will cling the dust to it. Most people dont change their foam filters enough, because yes it is a pain.:ermm:

Toadz400
09-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Most people dont change their foam filters enough, because yes it is a pain.:ermm:

not true, i think it's a lot easier to clean a foam filter than a K&N. K&N takes longer for me, and with the foam all you have to do is spray it with the foam filter, rinse it out with water, let it dry, and reapply oil.

you have to do the same with the K&N, but it just seems to take a lot longer for me for some odd reason:confused2

northeast400
09-30-2003, 05:23 PM
this debate will never end

JD400exrider
09-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by northeast400
this debate will never end

Seems to come up every few weeks.

I run a UNI and clean and oil it after every ride. On normal dusty trails the uni works fine. I have ridden in some real dusty conditions and yes the foam filter will let a little dirt in. Maybe not as much as a K&N, however never ran one so i cannot say for sure. When I ride in real dusty conditions i run a oiled filter skin over the top of the Uni. Works well, change the filter skin every few hours of riding. These very dusty rides are on logging roads with 5-6 quads haulling ***** where if you are not five feet off the other guys rear tire you cannot see anything. Cannot wait for the first rain

Toadz400
10-01-2003, 03:34 PM
ya its all personall preferance and running conditions...but a foam already took out my engine...so i wont do that again :rolleyes:

if you ever do, just remember to oil it:rolleyes: lol

you told me your instructions said nothing about oiling it, but when i got my Uni it said to apply a light layer of oil on it and i did that, so it never let dust or dirt in. so i'm thinking that's why your engine seized when you went in the sand, because you never oiled it.

10-01-2003, 05:01 PM
well i asked my dad about that also...and he said when he was ordering it and everything...he asked them if it needed oil or if it came oiled...and they said it should be fine when it comes to your door...so i ran it...and look what happened

Toadz400
10-01-2003, 07:40 PM
well i asked my dad about that also...and he said when he was ordering it and everything...he asked them if it needed oil or if it came oiled...and they said it should be fine when it comes to your door...so i ran it...and look what happened

well did you tell them you'd be out in the dunes with lots of sand? probably not....i'd rather be safe than sorry and oil it anyway, even if they said it "should" be fine. key word: should;)

ATVer14
10-01-2003, 08:30 PM
I apologize in advance if I'm insulting you Honda Racer, but you really tried running the foam air filter without oil on it? Thats just asking for trouble, you can't blame that on the foams. You ALWAYS have to oil a foam air filter, or else it doesn't even come close to being effective in filtering out dirt and dust. It would be like running your engine with no engine oil in it and then complaining that it seized up. So try a foam again, and this time USE A GOOD FOAM AIR FILTER OIL, I don't care who you ordered it from or what they said, always oil your own filter.

10-01-2003, 08:54 PM
dude lmao...i ordered it from sparks..i think they kno there ****...and also that was my first time usin foam so how would i kno...and foam=pos in my opinion...poor design...k&n in my opinion is far suppeirior if ran with an outerwear...never really did like foam...only reason i bought it was cuz its all they had atm...and k&n comes pre oiled...y spend money on that **** if u dont have 2...plus k&n gets more air...with the same protection if ran with outerwear...hasnt done me wrong ever...and now i will stick by them 100%

MotoXC33
10-02-2003, 12:08 PM
I'd run a K and N in the winter when there is no dust, But for racing or summer riding, I wouldn't trust it, Mine messed up my cylinder bad, I had to get a new sleeve, he said it was from dirt through the filter, So I run UNI to be safe.

10-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Put grease around the filter were it fits into the airboot. No more openings...:D My filter sat in 3 inche of water at hatfield this summer and no damage.. I"ve rode in mud, dust, dirt, water, you name it and i can look in my airboot when cleaning the filter and it always looks clean..

UglyMotha™
10-02-2003, 12:33 PM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

muwahahahahaah:devil: :devil: