PDA

View Full Version : 450R great but PLEASE READ on why 400 ex still rocks....

tahoe97
09-27-2003, 12:09 AM
The 450r looks great and its liquid cooled and everything new motor and i mean we all know honda had to do it to keep up with the market coming out all you ex riders know what i am saying...

But the 400ex might just be a sleeper kinda like the 250r (NOTHING of that sort we all know in the long run 250r is probably king) but the 400ex keeps that kind of 250r look and with race plastic could pass for one an if i am correct one of the best thing about well not best but high points of the 250r PART not all by for of the reason why it is so good on the TRACK not on a straight away like banshee, raptor or whatever is how it sits so low the ground and seight height ... I maybe and if i am wrong on that dont scald me... anyway we all have the agree to 450r has a raptor TYPE front end... But honda had to do it and if i had the money i would own one the day it came out but like my post said i thing the 400ex maybe a sleeper especially maintenence and durabilty and other things i mentioned..

Later

09-27-2003, 12:18 AM
uuhhh yfz is the king right now if u ask me the 250r is a lil beeyatch sweepin the floors

Narly R
09-27-2003, 12:26 AM
The r is like metallica, it will always be king and is most defently the bike everyone looks at before making a new one, shure the yfz might be a better bike stock for stock, or modded for stock, but in the long run......;)

AndrewRRR
09-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
uuhhh yfz is the king right now if u ask me the 250r is a lil beeyatch sweepin the floors

I use YFZ's for traction :D
I do want one for a fun backup/trail bike though

09-27-2003, 12:36 AM
in the long run the yfz is still better if u ask me, they just do everything awesome so much power , corner good , awesome seat and ergos, i dont know, the r is kinda like a lclassic like a old corvetter and the yfz is like some new badass car thats does everything better or some ****

310Rduner
09-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Orrrrr not.

If ya ask me the yfz is the r's beeeyatch...

It is a sweet bike tho, and i also wouldn't mind having one, but only for the fact that it is 2-strokish.

I think in the long run, the yz is going to be another 400ex to the R, a good contender,and awesome bike, but still not the crowd favorite.

There's no replacing Perfection.;)

RuffRyder400ex
09-27-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
The r is like metallica, it will always be king and is most defently the bike everyone looks at before making a new one, shure the yfz might be a better bike stock for stock, or modded for stock, but in the long run......;)
well said. i agree completelty;)

JTRtrx250r
09-27-2003, 08:21 AM
every quad will be compared to the R...,the yamaha has a good motor...but thats it,even the new "R" will even be compared the 250R :macho

400ex1999
09-27-2003, 08:48 AM
u cant be saying these things about the yfz already, its only real competition is the trx450r and thats only like 2 weeks old

AlaskaSpeed
09-27-2003, 08:59 AM
The YFZ is a step in the right direction, if you ask me. I think we are some time away from seeing a true perfect quad come from a factory....Cannondale has been the only one to come close to doing it and most of the people on this site did nothing but *****, complain, pick it apart etc....all without EVER riding or seeing one in person for the most part.

All I can say is thank God that the pros pretty much all chose to race 250R's....if they had chosen the LT500R as their "favored" quad; most of the people that start threads like this would be hailing it as the ultimate quad. I would venture a guess that most of the members that start threads like this have no clue what the advantages are of great handling...hell...a lot of you ask questions about flipping your wheels which is a total contradiction to great handling..........:rolleyes: :D

JTRtrx250r
09-27-2003, 09:06 AM
I hear what you are saying Jim...

for the last 16 yrs...the R has just been a great unit,I do think alot of its rein was great handling,aftermarket parts ,and a very experimented motor,it ..being a 2 stroke has been pretty damn reliable tho.....but nothings perfect haha:blah:

09-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
every quad will be compared to the R...,,even the new "R" will even be compared the 250R :macho
:)

Narly R
09-27-2003, 10:48 AM
All the new bike frames are being bassed on the r, 400ex,Z,yfz,trx... The yfz stands out to be so good cause it is the best stock bike (besides the dale:ermm:) to come out, it has sweet suspention and great looks,power and durability. Its a four stroke, its a kick arse bike!:eek2: But....... this argument has been fought over and over..... if it WASNT for the r, I dont think we would have the yfz.......

The 400ex is still a legend of its own too....:cool:

AndrewRRR
09-27-2003, 12:17 PM
I don't know about all of you but I am praising the "quad gods" that we now have a bike that is so good we can compare it to the R! woohoo
I remember back in 1990 when Honda announced it wasn't producing the R for 1990. Since that day there hasn't been anything that has come close to it's performance until now. I think things will keep getting better, as long as the 2005 emissions standards going into effect doesn't cripple power like what happened with musclecars in the early 70's when cars went from 450hp to 195 :eek:

NTPRacing#19
09-27-2003, 01:01 PM
as much as some of you may want to believe the R isnt good anymore, thats your opinion but everything in that has to do with quad racing the R in some way or another has crossed every racers mind wether it be fear of gettin smoked by it or the confidence of riding it.

Glow Plug
09-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Imo the yamaha is the "new" king because why? It would abostly distory a stock R becuase last time I checked most of you sigs who were saying "the r will never be beaten blah blah blah" You all have after market suspension, motor work etc etc and your still compairing that to a stock quad? Doesn't make to much sence to me. Mabye if you threw a few grand in mods into the yzf we might have a real compaison on our hands. Until that happens still and apple to orange comparison.

AndrewRRR
09-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Yes a stock YFZ will beat a stock 250R. But it's also a 17 year old bike that cost $2700 new. Kind of hard to compare.
It's just fun to beat up on new hot-dog quads with our "old technology" machines :D

twisted threads
09-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
Yes a stock YFZ will beat a stock 250R. But it's also a 17 year old bike that cost $2700 new. Kind of hard to compare.
It's just fun to beat up on new hot-dog quads with our "old technology" machines :D

Well said Andrew!:D

Narly R
09-27-2003, 04:40 PM
You guys know in the movies, when there is an old grandpa, and he knows everything, and then there is an younger "stud" who is the crown favorite... Carate Kid is the best example, where lets say the 250r is the grandpa, and the new bikes are that one guy. So maybe from a couple of runs and apperance, the new bikes appear to be better, when the r can come to life and whoop anything. If you where to COMPLETLY modd both bikes out to the max it would be really close.

I think maybe in the long run the new bike might be a little better then the "average" are, is what is mOST amazing is how the r has lasted soo long. It didnt need anymore than the 3 years to prove itself...

cool 300ex
09-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Ya i say yfz450 is like the king right now.The good old 250R is an awsome wheeler with some mods they are sweet as hell.I want one too bad i don't have enough money.:mad:

cool 300ex
09-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Ya

GrInDeR400ex
09-28-2003, 04:35 PM
well i like the 400ex its simple reliable and all around good feel to the machine it well balanced, you can throw it around in the air with ease, its just a good machine in my book with some cash flow it can be a great one, yeah i know every one is going to liquid cooled machines which is great i just prefer my old school air cooled design, les to work on i guess, and when i sit on it i feel like im on a quad not a dirt bike likr the raptor and the yfz 450, ...so thats just my opinion

Martin Blair
09-28-2003, 07:41 PM
I agree, somewhat, The new 450s the yzf and 450r will be the best bikes in the pro classes, but at the local tracks, hairscrambles and even the 4stroke C,B,and A class in gncc and mx will still see alot of rs and 400ex manly because theya re reliable, pretty cheap, and the aftermarket is huge, so for 99.9% of us the 400ex and 250r will still be dominating bikes in hairscrambles and local mx event which most of us go to. But yeah the pros classes will probably be dominated but the new 450s.

do i want a new 450, hell yeah, will i get one, hell no, I know my 400ex i no how tor ide it what it and I can and cant do, and i like it its a great bike, and it does have along with the r, a feel that it is " glued" to the ground, ride a new z400 or yamaha then hop of a 400 or r you wsill feel the difference

09-28-2003, 08:09 PM
what have u guys been smoking, the 250r was great when there was nothing else out , my opinion of them is just a big headache,and they suck, who wants to mix gas rebuild top ends constantly,replace nearly everything on the quad so u can ride it without it breaking when you can buy a stock yfz which is better than any onld r and faster and better handling, better ergos , less maintence and not 15 years old

yeah the r was great but so was the first cr 125 but is it still good?

at southwick it was weird to see the whole pro class cept 4 all 4 strokes , 250rs time is up, yfzs and 450rs will take over

AndrewRRR
09-28-2003, 08:24 PM
what have u guys been smoking, the 250r was great when there was nothing else out , my opinion of them is just a big headache,and they suck, who wants to mix gas rebuild top ends constantly,replace nearly everything on the quad so u can ride it without it breaking when you can buy a stock yfz which is better than any onld r and faster and better handling, better ergos , less maintence and not 15 years old

Some of us who are into engines and mechanical things actually enjoy working on our bikes. The only time I've had to get towed back to camp with my R (which is very modded) was when I broke a chain. If you know anything about maintenence you can make a R as reliable as a YFZ or any other quad. Let the 2 strokes go up to 440-450cc like the 4 strokes and see what wins.

09-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Some of us who are into engines and mechanical things actually enjoy working on our bikes. The only time I've had to get towed back to camp with my R (which is very modded) was when I broke a chain. If you know anything about maintenence you can make a R as reliable as a YFZ or any other quad. Let the 2 strokes go up to 440-450cc like the 4 strokes and see what wins.

JUNK

09-28-2003, 08:34 PM
:rolleyes:

AndrewRRR
09-28-2003, 09:00 PM
JUNK

very eloquent

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
:rolleyes:

I'll second that.

Let's not argue with ignorant people, it's a waste of our time.

09-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
I'll second that.

Let's not argue with ignorant people, it's a waste of our time.
agreed

stocktires
09-28-2003, 09:31 PM

at southwick it was weird to see the whole pro class cept 4 all 4 strokes , 250rs time is up, yfzs and 450rs will take over

Freeride, I think you truely said it best:

who cares dumb people will kill themselves off, its good cuz i dont wanan deal with them anyway

I just wana say...I really don't like you, never have, probably never will. Why? Because you an aggrivating little opinionated ****** who just talks crap on the computer to only FEEL like your actually a man.

Anyway, The "R" IS king, that is a fact. When another quad comes out thats priced under $3k, can win hundreds of championships, thousands of races, and still be highly competitive with other quads that are over $6k new and advanced by over 15years. Then, and only then I may re-consider that statement.

I like what Narly R said bout Karate kid, lol

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 09:40 PM

hey retard, remember when you said this?:rolleyes:

yeah there are more 400ex out there than anything else, the 400ex and r will always be the basis for any good quad

JTRtrx250r
09-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Ive learned he likes to argue and " stir the pot" haha,I'd love to have either of the 450's....but like I said before....that dont mean I'd get rid of my R,if thats all he has...thats all he knows,to each his own I suppose

09-28-2003, 10:22 PM
ahahha you bunch pussies, you guys get all riled up , prob typing in tears because of what I THINK, you guys need to stop being a bunch of whiners and go ride if you cant handle one persons opinion, god im beginning to think you guys have vaginas

the r has and will always be the basis for any good sport quad but its no longer king, ive ridden z, 400ex and 250r and yfz

yfz,250r,z400,400ex in my book

come to think of it the yfz isnt even 250r based so i guess i was wrong all along

i rode a z 400 with a ct exhaust, tcs rear shock, a 250r with long travel front end , elka suspension, lrd pipe, porting, carb, reeds, axle, my 400ex and a yfz with spark arrestor removed

out of all of em i pick the yfz hands down, i cant wait to ride a new 450

at one time or another most of the people i know with rs have had major motor failures not true with any of the 4 stroke owners and u cant say lack of maintence because its not

so stop *****ing and relax

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:28 PM
ahahha you bunch pussies, you guys get all riled up , prob typing in tears because of what I THINK, you guys need to stop being a bunch of whiners and go ride if you cant handle one persons opinion, god im beginning to think you guys have vaginas

the r has and will always be the basis for any good sport quad but its no longer king, ive ridden z, 400ex and 250r and yfz

come to think of it the yfz isnt even 250r based so i guess i was wrong all along

i rode a z 400 with a ct exhaust, tcs rear shock, a 250r with long travel front end , elka suspension, lrd pipe, porting, carb, reeds, axle, my 400ex and a yfz with spark arrestor removed

at one time or another most of the people i know with rs have had major motor failures not true with any of the 4 stroke owners and u cant say lack of maintence because its not

Does somebody need a hug?:confused:

AndrewRRR
09-28-2003, 10:29 PM

When you bash the greatest quad ever produced you have to expect to catch some flack.
The people you know with R's must be pretty stupid because of all the R owners I know that take care of their machines, failures are few and far in-between.
When YFZ's are 17 years old and never have problems then you can talk about reliability. You probably weren't even alive when R's were new.

09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
ahhaha, you guys even ride?

09-28-2003, 10:31 PM
When you bash the greatest quad ever produced you have to expect to catch some flack.
The people you know with R's must be pretty stupid because of all the R owners I know that take care of their machines, failures are few and far in-between.
When YFZ's are 17 years old and never have problems then you can talk about reliability. You probably weren't even alive when R's were new.

yeah im 10:huh

nope they do all the regulare maintenece they just RIDE hard

you only think its the greatest because its all you know

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:32 PM

ok.

*huggles*

AndrewRRR
09-28-2003, 10:32 PM

Yeah but I ride a lowly 80hp 350r, not a bad *** piece of machinery like a 416ex. lmao

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Yeah but I ride a lowly 80hp 350r, not a bad *** piece of machinery like a 416ex. lmao

Be nice.. the only speed he knows is slow:devil:

JTRtrx250r
09-28-2003, 10:34 PM
haha...hey man,tell us how you really feel about it lol..j/p

we each have our own opinions...its cool,not pissin' in your cornflakes so dont sweat it,I spoke my mind for the 1st yr and they all thought I was an *** too haha,if only I could say what I really wanted to haha,if I could...I'd have 1 of all the units I like,but you cant deny you start chit freeride..its been proven haha;) :D

09-28-2003, 10:38 PM

yeah, but you suck, you just ride around in the dunes and a straight line , and you think your all cool with your 1987 neon pink and green and white helmet and some jean shorts and a beach race 87 shirt , and you think becuase your sparkly easter egg has 80 hp your cool

see you guys can take a r ride it all day in the dunes and drag racing, you think your riding it hard but your not when u do get back to me

09-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
haha...hey man,tell us how you really feel about it lol..j/p

we each have our own opinions...its cool,not pissin' in your cornflakes so dont sweat it,I spoke my mind for the 1st yr and they all thought I was an *** too haha,if only I could say what I really wanted to haha,if I could...I'd have 1 of all the units I like,but you cant deny you start chit freeride..its been proven haha;) :D

true but the only reason its starts chit is becuase people cant handle an OPINION they over react and start an argument, i dont intend on starting chit people just got stop being babies

AndrewRRR
09-28-2003, 10:43 PM
yeah, but you suck, you just ride around in the dunes and a straight line , and you think your all cool with your 1987 neon pink and green and white helmet and some jean shorts and a beach race 87 shirt , and you think becuase your sparkly easter egg has 80 hp your cool

see you guys can take a r ride it all day in the dunes and drag racing, you think your riding it hard but your not when u do get back to me

Umm, yeah you sure got my number :rolleyes:
My R isn't built for going straight. How old are you anyway? I'm guessing 13.

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:43 PM

haha, hey man, that might be your idea of a fun night with your "pals" but thats not how we do things over here.

Chanman420q
09-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Lets face the facts, the 250R went from Pro racers to Local Racers. Its a great quad but Theres new technology out there and it just cant keep up anymore. The 250R and the 400ex arent out of the ball game yet..... just out perfessionally.

09-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Umm, yeah you sure got my number :rolleyes:
My R isn't built for going straight. How old are you anyway? I'm guessing 13.

seriously you guys got upset becuase i think 250rs are junk, you started this whole thing because of my opinion?

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
Lets face the facts, the 250R went from Pro racers to Local Racers. Its a great quad but Theres new technology out there and it just cant keep up anymore. The 250R and the 400ex arent out of the ball game yet..... just out perfessionally.

I don't think this is accurate, i think it mostly has to do with where the money is at for them, and what is going to be a cheaper bike in the long run.

If J.J wanted to, he could stay out there this year on his "tired out old technology bike" and whoop on them just as hard as he did the year before. Sure it's rider skill, but that just shows how the R is still a perfectly viable contender for pro racing, just a question of whether that racer has the desire to race it.

The R still decimates almost every single bike out there still:D

09-28-2003, 10:52 PM
I don't think this is accurate, i think it mostly has to do with where the money is at for them, and what is going to be a cheaper bike in the long run.

why would it be cheaper ?

JTRtrx250r
09-28-2003, 10:53 PM
LMAO...I know he wasn't talking to me...Ive only been to the dunes 1 time lol,my fav is mx(bikes or quads),flattracked for many yrs and have been XC'n for many yrs..definitly got more XC under my belt tho over the yrs,I also used to ride trials...been kinda missing it actually..its alotta fun also,...thats just my dirt experiance,Im no pro but have done a bunch haha;) :D :blah:

Its your opinion man..Im not holding any grudges ,just gotta defend my unit haha:blah:

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:54 PM
why would it be cheaper ?

Good point.. they replace every single possible piece on those bikes before they race them anyways.:)

09-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Good point.. they replace every single possible piece on those bikes before they race them anyways.:)

thats odd since tavis cains yfz only had a axle wheels, shocks a arms and handle bars

no i wsnt talking to u jtrx

AndrewRRR
09-28-2003, 10:55 PM

seriously you guys got upset becuase i think 250rs are junk, you started this whole thing because of my opinion?

No, YOU started this whole thing by bashing a great quad that a lot of us ride. You have a habbit of starting crap on this forum for no reason. You either like to start crap or are just an *********.

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:58 PM
thats odd since tavis cains yfz only had a axle wheels, shocks a arms and handle bars

no i wsnt talking to u jtrx

Lets not forget that it is a $7400 dollar bike, over 11 grand after all of those items, prolly closer to 12-13. I could build an R just as fast if not faster than his Yfz for that much.:rolleyes:

09-28-2003, 11:01 PM
No, YOU started this whole thing by bashing a great quad that a lot of us ride. You have a habbit of starting crap on this forum for no reason. You either like to start crap or are just an *********.

i didnt start chit
i just said what i felt and i still think there junk just a huge money pit, you guys take a friggin internet forum too seriously , i dont care what you ride , its not like no ones ever bashed a 400ex, you guys got too much quad pride, stop crying because someone thinsk your quad is junk, if you liek it you like it, why do you care what i think

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 11:03 PM
i didnt start chit
i just said what i felt and i still think there junk just a huge money pit, you guys take a friggin internet forum too seriously , i dont care what you ride , its not like no ones ever bashed a 400ex, you guys got too much quad pride, stop crying because someone thinsk your quad is junk, if you liek it you like it, why do you care what i think

Could that be because we actually HAVE a bike worth defending from retards who know jack sh*t about them??

09-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Lets not forget that it is a $7400 dollar bike, over 11 grand after all of those items, prolly closer to 12-13. I could build an R just as fast if not faster than his Yfz for that much.:rolleyes:

odd, 6800 msrp and my buddy paid 5800 for his, they been selling for 6300 -6500 go buy a used r and replace everything on it mod it to run the 250 class and see whats worth it

well hey, you guys are running in circles so im going to sleep

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 11:07 PM
I'm done arguing with ya I think, and i could careless about your ignorant opinion anymore.

Doesn't matter, at the end of the day, i'm still the one who has the BEST bikes ever made in our sport.

09-28-2003, 11:10 PM
I'm done arguing with ya I think, and i could careless about your ignorant opinion anymore.

Doesn't matter, at the end of the day, i'm still the one who has the BEST bikes ever made in our sport.

BIKES?!?!oh you silly goose that explains it i been talking about quads the whole time! omg do you beleive , im so sorry

the cr 250r is a great bike , im sorry man i thought you were talking about quads, what a misunderstanding

AndrewRRR
09-28-2003, 11:13 PM
i didnt start chit

It's just interesting to hear from someone so ignorant they consider the most popular race quad every produced "junk".
And you are right, I don't give a rat's ***** about you opinion, the stares I get verify my position.
I'm sorry about going so far off topic. I think the 400ex is still a great quad too.

09-28-2003, 11:16 PM
It's just interesting to hear from someone so ignorant they consider the most popular race quad every produced "junk".
And you are right, I don't give a rat's ***** about you opinion, the stares I get verify my position.
I'm sorry about going so far off topic. I think the 400ex is still a great quad too.

talk to the hand