PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem, a real stumper

drummer-on-a-EX
09-26-2003, 07:08 PM
After a long ride we stopped for a break, when we tried to get started again the bike would not start, no nuetral or head lighjts and no click from the relay, I checked everything to no avail, turn the key one last time it started, it has started several times since, until today, turned the key on, lights come on hit the switch every thing went dead, when I started to pull the seat off, lights came on and has started without a problem at least 30 times. I have jiggle, pulled, fondled, molested and checked every wire and connection I can find, can't seem to make it go dead.
Anybody have a similar problem or any suggestions.
Thanx,
Drummer

powerslider
09-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a poor ground connection, run a cable from the battery negative to the motor, this will eliminate the possible problems with the subframe connections to the frame.....

drummer-on-a-EX
09-26-2003, 07:26 PM
I took the battery terminals off when I got home last week and cleaned the connections with sand cloth.

dirtmomma
09-26-2003, 07:30 PM
My 300ex does the same thing, what it is on mine is I have to jiggle the wiring harness up under the front fender by the frame, then everything comes on. We cleaned it up really good & sprayed some contact cleaner on it, it's been ok lately but I do have another wiring harness that I'm gonna replace it w/ before race season, tht would suck tohave it just die on the track:eek2:
It was doing that too me on the trail one day it was VERY irritating!!:mad: Anyway good luck you might want to try cleaning it out(dust ect)

powerslider
09-26-2003, 07:32 PM
But you still have the subframe to frame connections that can cause this problem also. Cleaning the battery cables won't help if the problem is with the subframe. The best cure is to run the extra cable from the battery to the motor, that eliminates the subframe from causing you problems.....

drummer-on-a-EX
09-26-2003, 07:36 PM
I'll give it a try