PDA

View Full Version : air filters

Toadz400
09-26-2003, 06:37 PM
which do you think is the best air filter for any kind of riding condition?

Bill Fuller
09-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Loved my Uni never let me down.

ReconRider25
09-26-2003, 07:00 PM
K&N:D

AtvMxRider
09-26-2003, 07:03 PM
I have a K&N now but my next will be a UNI.

nacs400ex
09-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Uni

09-26-2003, 08:47 PM
K&N shows performance above all other filters...try any other filter then strap on a k&n and i can promise u...u will notice a complete and totall difference..even from a uni

Toadz400
09-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
K&N shows performance above all other filters...try any other filter then strap on a k&n and i can promise u...u will notice a complete and totall difference..even from a uni

what would you rather have? more air going through and dirt, or less air but better filtration?:blah:

my K&N w/ my outerwear still lets dirt through and there are no holes anywhere in the filter or outerwear. i checked the boot and there's dirt lining it. my uni on my banshee never let anything besides a little oil through, and i rode in worse conditions with the banshee...;)

i'll be switching to my Uni soon:D

09-26-2003, 08:56 PM
K&N doesn't let dirt in dude...that is just a huge @$$ rumor so uni and foam filters can make money...K&N has been around longer and has way more experiance than any of the other companies around...and i wouldn't say that foam filters have better filtration...seeing it took out my whole engine from sand getting through...K&N all the way

Toadz400
09-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
K&N doesn't let dirt in dude...that is just a huge @$$ rumor so uni and foam filters can make money...K&N has been around longer and has way more experiance than any of the other companies around...and i wouldn't say that foam filters have better filtration...seeing it took out my whole engine from sand getting through...K&N all the way

:huh that's all i got to say...:huh

my K&N lets dirt in, i didn't read it anywhere, i just figured it out for myself. my Uni didn't let ANY dirt in, even sand. and my K&N is basically an open gateway for sand....because it got sandy here awhile back, and that's all i saw inside my boot, and it never happened once with my Uni.....so i'm just telling you the facts. i'd rather have a Uni, cheaper and it seems to filter better for me.

09-26-2003, 09:37 PM
never happened to me or my dad and we both run K&N

carbonfiber440
09-26-2003, 09:53 PM
I have had a K&N for the life of my 400ex and it has never let in dirt and i ride in sandy dusty conditons out here in AZ. Also ridin in areas where the dust is like silt, and still no dirt. i run a K&N with and outerwears that is oiled with foam filter oil and has never let in dirt at all. and just recently rebuilt my top end and the cylinder walls were find, when i upgraded to a 416. So i guess there is nothin wrong with the K&N if you take care of it!

JOEX
09-26-2003, 10:15 PM
I rode in a dusty area earlier this year using a K&N filter w/outerweras that was just serviced. When I got back and took off the filter there was a thin layer of very fine dust on the intake boot. I'm not overly concerned about it because of the fineness of the dust, but I don't like it. I think i'll be getting a UNI for the dusty conditions.
I even took pictures of it but they didn't come out good enough to post.
Sand is quite abit thicker than dust, an outerwears will prevent any sand from getting into the motor if the elastic is snug around the intake.

Joe

Greg Z
09-26-2003, 10:33 PM
what would be better for like dirt and dusty condition like mx type

Woodsrider
09-26-2003, 10:42 PM
I run a K&N in my cars and my truck, and I run Uni, or a White Bros foam in the quad. Heres my two cents: For the simple fact that the foam filters are easier to clean, I wont run anything else in my quad. If you clean a K&N filter properly it takes forever. You have to clean in filter cleaner, then rinse in water and let dry. DO NOT WRING!! DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR!!
K&N's are gauze and if you blow air into it it seperates the filter material, and creates holes allowing grit to get in.
Foam filters on the other hand, rinse thoroughly in gas to clean, wring it out, blow it dry with compressed air, re-oil and install. all in about fifteen to twenty minutes.
Its all about time, how much time do you want to spend waiting for your filter to dry?

Hope this helps.;)

Diedrich
09-26-2003, 10:42 PM
i got a k&n and have never had a problem, but i would like to purchase an uni just to see if i like it better. i think both of em would be a good choice though

JD400exrider
09-26-2003, 11:31 PM
I run a UNI. During VERY dusty conditions i have had a very thin film of dirt in the intake boot. I run a filter skin now if is is really dusty.

AndrewRRR
09-27-2003, 12:10 AM
I run K&N, and I ride mostly in sand, but i wouldn't run a K&N without an outerwears. I did suck sand in a motor once but it wasn't from the filter, a wreck caused it to take a gulp of sand in.
If you take care of a K&N and keep it cleaned and oiled it should work (won't filter hardly at all without oil). I had a UNI on my CR250, I suppose for dusty conditions it would filter a little better, but it seemed much more restrictive than a K&N.
Right now i'm running no airbox on my R, just a K&N with an outwears and it doesn't show any traces of junk getting in.
A note if you are running a 250R with the stock airbox: GET AIRBOX SUPPORT RINGS!!! That $20 can save your motor. If you overtighten your filter or boot you'll distort the mounting surface (it's rubber) and it's like inviting dirt in for a party. All the rings are are 2 stainless metal rings to give you the support to crank the filter and the boot down without distorting it.

flyin#5
09-27-2003, 10:43 AM
uni hands down. thats what i run on all 3 of our quads.

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-27-2003, 12:27 PM
UNI!:macho

ride300exrider
09-27-2003, 01:11 PM
k+n

ATVer14
09-27-2003, 03:59 PM
carbonfiber440- You run an outerwears that is oiled with foam filter oil? I'm thinking that that is more restrictive than a foam filter anyway because the holes in the outerwears are so small that they probably just get clogged with the oil. What does everyone else think?

AndrewRRR
09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ATVer14
carbonfiber440- You run an outerwears that is oiled with foam filter oil? I'm thinking that that is more restrictive than a foam filter anyway because the holes in the outerwears are so small that they probably just get clogged with the oil. What does everyone else think?

You are supposed to oil the filter, not the outwerwear. It's a fine enough mesh it will stop sand, etc. on its own.