PDA

View Full Version : tighten the chain

ride_red_5400ex
09-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Can someone tell me how to tighten a 400EX chain

Bill Fuller
09-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Lossen the 4 bolts on the swingarm(very back 6mm).On the left side of the bike (chain side) there you can see the outside lip of the carrier,it will have holes in it(not holes all the way through but big enough to put a punch into).Sometimes the carrier might be stiff(hard to roll)so put a wrench in the sprocket and use it to pry against the punch.Use the leverege of the sprocket and roll the bike forward it will tighten the chain.If I'm wrong than roll it backward.Make sure not to tighten it to tight,you should be able to raise and lower the chain about an inch(freeplay).Hope this helps.

ride_red_5400ex
09-26-2003, 06:38 PM
thanks man:D

09-26-2003, 07:47 PM
ok i have to do this now about every 5 minutesb/c my chain keeps comingloose after riding...isit my chain wearing out & stretching? do i need a new one? do i need a new carrier? :confused:

coryatver
09-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Check your bearings. Normally new chains strech a lot and then they just stretch slowly after that. You shouldn't have to tighten it up every 5 minutes. And don't tighten it up to much it will kill your axle bearings.

09-27-2003, 10:10 AM
no this chain is still the stock one from when i first had it & it has around 120 hours on it.

Bill Fuller
09-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Crazy,your chain is probably worn out.I would guess that your carrier bearing are shot as well.When you repalce the chain I would suggest replacing the sprockets also.Since your back there might as well check the swing arm bearings.If you haven't greased the pivot bolt now would be a good time.Remember that you will have to cut the chain of because it was factory installed and has no master link.Get an O ring chain and for bearings check Service Honda for the best prices.

09-27-2003, 11:51 AM
im getting an x-ring chain...so i need new bearings? this is bad as i am really short on cash after a $200 order from DennisKIrk....:( i can get the chain& the sprockets but i dont think i can get the bearings if they are shot....:eek:

Bill Fuller
09-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Not replacing the bearings and installing a new chain and sprockets is like only buying 3 new tires for your quad Crazy.Check to see what is worn out before you go and start ordering.