PDA

View Full Version : Who's racing D23 Quadna/Hill City this weekend?

infantry317
09-25-2003, 07:32 PM
I guess its the first XC race at the old ski resort that is a snowcross track now. Anyone have any scoop on the track? :D

quadnice
09-25-2003, 11:02 PM
I'll be there, trying to recapture 2nd place again on points.
Heard it's a 8.5 mi. loop, race is Sat. @ 2pm - Should be a lot of fun! New course this year, I'm sure there will be a good mix of terrain. Hills - wooho!!!

infantry317
09-26-2003, 05:54 AM
Sport Quads are at 3:30pm Quadnice, see you there.
Scott

http://www.armca.org/QuadnaMountainHareScrambles.htm

quadnice
09-26-2003, 07:29 AM
I'd be there well before 2pm. To me it looks like the peewee/premier class starts @ 3:30
Later Jerry!

PhilMoore
09-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Hey guys.

How did you like it?

I raced quad B. I wasn't expecting a 2 hour race, and I didn't bring extra gas! I had to borrow a little bit of gas on the last lap, because I ran out right at the checkpoint, but I finished the race. (Thanks again, sorry I didn't get their name)

It was my first Hare Scramble, and I am still beat. I had to call in "sick" yesterday!! :rolleyes:

My wife got a good pic of the start.

It is a huge picture, so I won't post it here, but here is a link:

www.atvpix.com/hillcity2.jpg

I am the furthest to the right (looks like I am last), next to the Banshee.

I ended up with 6th place.

I don't think I am going to try that again on stock shocks. I sold my works shocks a couple weeks ago, so I had to run stock. Plus, I had my DuraBreak +2 axle on. Luckily my front end is still stock width. Definately need a steering stabilizer too!

I flipped over backward on that hill where the trail went right between two trees and that big boulder was right in the middle. It got dug out more and more as the race progressed, and somebody lost a wheel right there. I think it was a 250R. My left front wheel went up the tree and I flipped over backward and the quad landed right on me. The guy that lost the wheel helped me get going again (thanks). It was very slow speed, so nothing broke, and I didn't get broke myself.

I haven't even washed my quad yet. I know I hit some of those rocks pretty hard, and I am afraid to look under there. I have a full set of PRM armor, so hopefully it is ok.

What quads were you guys running? I had a Red '99 400EX with nerfbars and number 173 on the back.

infantry317
09-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Hey Phil,
Congrats, I am the red trimmed fender 400ex #73 on the left side of that pic, forgot my dang ignition was off :rolleyes: then fired her up hauled arse up the hill passing about 8 or more guys on the way up, then about 1/3 through the course a bolt fell out of my front brake lever clamp, my slow ride to the pits/pit took 10min of my first lap, but I still got 13th of 21, I was happy with it despite it all.

What a great track! Most fun I've had in the year I had my quad. My new 416 engine ran great. I got to meet Jerry (quadnice), he's a good guy. Nate Wettland is an animal, he passed me twice. He then raced bikes the next day with his thumb-throttled CR250R :blah:

PhilMoore
09-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Thanks,
Congrats to you too!

Thanks for coming. I am glad there was a good turnout. I hope they will have more ATV racing there in the future (because it is close to home for me :) ).

atvrulz
09-30-2003, 10:55 AM
all summer i had been looking forward to racing the hill city hairscramble, then a week before the race i broke a crank shaft bearing in my cannondale quad at staples. I hope they have it again next year. I watched, and it looked like a helluva good time. Especially with those huge ski hills.

quadnice
09-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Phil ........ahhhhh.............. That was me who caused your wreck their :huh Yeah my stupid Duracrap X-33 system failed me 2 times in the race!!! 1st time I sheared the bolt, I managed to limp back to the pits in 1 wheel drive, still in 2nd place. Got out of the pits started passing guys for 1.5 laps & the ole pin drive took a crap again, right before the place I was hung up on the BOULDER. -(Z400 BTW) No problem for the help, It was the least I could do for blocking the way!!!
Nate is a machine!!! I took the holeshot, had a lead going, then took a wrong turn, where the bike guy sat shortly after pointing us up the hill :mad: Nate snuck by, I was giving him the business for 3 laps, overshot a turn or 2, then he just checked out, like he did ALL season, & every race!!! He's very FAST!!!
That course kicked ARSE!!! Next year WSA is talking about having 2 races their, w/ possibly one giving away some $$$ to draw more guys!
Easily - that was the best course & race all season, though Mazeppa (Oct. 18) is a lot of FUN too!!!

PhilMoore
09-30-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey thanks for getting me going again. I was in an exhausted delerium. When I got hung up on that tree or stump or whatever it was, I was thinking; "gee I should just get off and push this piece, but I think if I would have gotten off the quad again, I probably wouldn't have got back on!:o

That is a bummer on the X-33... I snapped an X-33 off a couple years ago on that big double in front of the grandstand at Brainerd. (don't know if you've been there before or not) I haven't been there since 2001.

I did that same mistake on the gravel road. I was following another red 400EX and he went left, and I was right on his bumper. (I know, not supposed to do that...:rolleyes: ) anyhow, all of a sudden, he is doing a 180 in the road. We kind of bumped into each other, and I hope I didn't slow him down too bad. I think after that first or second lap, they put that log across the road and those guys were there arm waving after that.

Did you see that guy on the red 4x4 utility quad? He flew past me, and I thought Crap!, I am getting passed by a 4x4. I tried to keep up and I was able to until the biggest mud hole. I trashed my goggles, so I was going around the water and mud on that little side trail. It lost me time though, and I never saw him again!

Hare Scramble is a lot of fun. Everybody should try it!

Next time I will bring my OWN DAM GAS!!! I am going to bring extra in case I need to return the favor!

Infantry317,
You have a 416, what gear were you going up the main ski hill? I had to take the bottom corner in 2nd, I could barely shift to 3rd and pull it. On that little hump in the middle I could catch air and shift to 4th, and pull 4th to the top.(just barely) On most of the steep hills I had to use low gear and just wind the crap out of it. Up shifting was nnnno good. The last couple laps, the poor motor would just barely get me to the top in 4th, it was getting pretty weak.

quadnice
09-30-2003, 09:45 PM
The tree that flipped you was like 4" round, It looked like you were trying to go over it, Glad I could help, since my day was over.
John konig - Utility quad - Bombardier ( ??? ) He's a NUT on that thing & FAST
Our D-23 rep. rides the (decked out silver Grizzly $$$$) He's FAST also. That Grizz rides like a Cadillac!!! They always say some B riders never want to move over when the Tractors catch them. :eek2:
HS racing is ADDICTING & tons of FUN! All the racers are extemely helpful - Heck when I was broke in the pits, 4 guys I barely know were helping me wrench ( maybe that was my 2nd mistake - lol )
X-33 - I just wish I knew then, what I know now about building a quad!!!

infantry317
10-01-2003, 05:59 AM
I took that corner at the bottom in third, probably should have been in 2nd, but that 416 has enough low end that I ran third, pinned it going up the big hill and shifted to 4th pinned at the halfway point. I was in 3rd for the majority of the race, 2nd in the technical stuff, 4th in the longer stretches. I am very happy with my 416(JE 10.8:1) thus far (only had it built for 2 weeks). I'm already getting pumped for Mazeppa. :D

PhilMoore
10-01-2003, 08:08 AM
My friends are telling me if I rebuild, I should go to a 416. I haven't ridden one, so I was wondering how much difference it would make.

Thanks,
Phil

infantry317
10-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Yeah I know two guys that did 440 kits, and both kept blowing head gaskets like a mofo, they tried everything still nothing but troubles.