PDA

View Full Version : Mini Trail 50 Engine Troubles...

Fender Bender
09-25-2003, 07:28 PM
I got a Mini Trail 50 the other day because some guy got tired of letting it set in his garage. He was going to throw it away, so I took it home. I see that the tank is sealed on the outside with some cauking, so there was obviously a leak. The inside of the tank looks fine, no rust or anything. I put some gas in it and it just slowly drips, barely enough to make a 4" puddle in the floor overnight. Finally I got everything sealed up and went to start it. It hasn't been ran in 10 years supposedly so I didn't figure it would run. To my suprise it started up in about 10 kicks and ran great. The problem is after you ride it for about 15 minutes it starts acting like its loading up..(all I have is 2 strokes). When I twist the throttle it tries to die. I have played with the needles, the big one is screwed all of the way in, and the little one just to the bottom right of it is about half way (I'm guessing thats the idle screw). After I let it cool off for a while and get back on it it runs good again.

Does anyone know whats wrong, or do you know of any forums that I might be able to get more help? Thanks:cool:

09-25-2003, 08:32 PM
clean your carb check out the point, change the oil, buy that tank sealer that coats the inside of the tank and ull be set

crazybuffalo
09-25-2003, 08:37 PM
i dont know the old fitty i got does that too but after you ride it for a while it goes away(weeks not hours) but it comes back again and again. oh well i just gave up on the POS.

09-25-2003, 08:43 PM
always gotta be workin on the pts with them

lil400exman
09-25-2003, 08:46 PM
yes points need adj. about every month to keep it in tip top shape!;)

Woodsrider
09-25-2003, 09:06 PM
I am not familiar with the term "loading up" but my 1970 trail fifty acts up as well after about ten minutes of riding. And I know its not the points, its a carb issue. about mid throttle it wants to die, like its getting too much gas. Let off the throttle a bit and it gets better. I havent tinkered with it to see whats wrong yet but I need to get on it, my daughter rides it and is getting pretty frustrated that it wont run right. I say its not a points issue becaus I bought and installed new points and a condensor in order to get the thing to run again after not riding it since I was 10. The current points have less than 2 hours on them.

As far as forums on the classic minis, I haven't found any to date. But I do know of a place here in town that restores them. If you need any info on parts or get the itch to restore it PM me.