PDA

View Full Version : GIBSON long travel*NEWS*........

jlhughes750
09-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Did you guys see the race report from the last MX GNC round at MX338?????

Natalie left the Pro Production class behind on his YFZ450.. Johns always been a great racer, and i know he's been training but........
Did u notice his frt. end on the yami??? it was a GIBSON long travel with AXIS shocks. Now thats a rough track, and he was able to pull away from the field. I recently purchased an XC GIBSON long travel frt. end for my R. and was really impressed!! I have noticed a definite difference in tracking and stability. I feel less fatigue than ever before and more confidence in the rough off camber stuff.... the advantage is not the additional travel (1 inch) but the increased tunability in the shock. With the shocks being 3 inches longer theres more of a sweet spot there for the shock tuner to hit. And let me tell u they got it right on the money. I have had everything out there, and this is the best i've had yet....This thing worked so good, i am a lil reluctant to even let anyone else know about it. For now i have an edge over anyone else that does not have a Gibson LT XC frt. end and until everyone realizes how good they really work i'll use it to my advantage. I'm no post whore or spammer, i just like to let everyone know when i find something good. U can look back and find old posts about how i thought they looked a lil funny, and they do!!but man don't judge a book by its cover, they work awsome..........;)

notice to any old sponsors: these things rule!!made by racers for racers!!!!:blah:

lil400exman
09-25-2003, 12:51 PM
just wondering how much did this setup run you roughly?:confused: ;)

jlhughes750
09-25-2003, 01:10 PM
$2400 WITH SHOCKS(AXIS) WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!HONEST, I'M A CHEAP *** THAT HATES BLOWIN $$$ BUT I HAVE NO DOUBT WITH THESE THINGS I'D DO IT AGAIN. AS A MATTER A FACT I AM!!HAHAHAHA ON THE YFZ!!!

QuadRacer041
09-28-2003, 05:34 AM
j, i know your R is a roll bike.are you saying u put these gibson's on that bike?
if so are u also saying that the gibson l/t uses a 3" longer shock then your roll l/t??????

jlhughes750
09-29-2003, 09:26 AM
my ROLL XC bike (smileys old bike) uses 16 inch frt. shocks!!

My ARENS R with the Gibson frt. end uses 19 inch shocks..

the Gibson frt. end is superior to anything i have ridden... I used to think like everyone else!! but guess what?? they work better than anything i've had!!! I'll stand behind them from now on!! forget anything that happended in the past!! if u get a chance try them out!!!there great!!
041oing to the Jersey HS on the 18th???? iTShe same day as the GNCC

QuadRacer041
09-29-2003, 09:46 AM
yea, j i had a very bad experience with gibson so......who knows maybe.
yea ill be at the h/s race down there on the 18th cant wait my last race was at jack in july i think, urrr
i put all my xc parts on my arens frame bike too, cant wait to try it out.

jlhughes750
09-29-2003, 10:54 AM
041 great i'll see u there. i'll let u check out these GIBSON arms on my Arens when i see u..
Your experience with them was ****ty i'm sure, but they corrected the situation, which is good. Plus i'm sure your happier now, so maybe it was for the better!!! ironic???

later, J

slosh13
09-29-2003, 01:15 PM
burgard LT all the way...........:devil:

09-29-2003, 03:44 PM
the 18th huh? hmmmmm...

Lou, stop by the store!

by the way guys, last year when the H/s was over I rode my bike around the track and pit. the association that rents the property rents it for the day, so you can actually ride after the race. I played around last year, it was cool no one minded.

QuadRacer041
09-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by BeeeRock!
the 18th huh? hmmmmm...

Lou, stop by the store!

by the way guys, last year when the H/s was over I rode my bike around the track and pit. the association that rents the property rents it for the day, so you can actually ride after the race. I played around last year, it was cool no one minded.

dont even tell me your bike runs????

lil400exman
09-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by quad041
dont even tell me your bike runs????

LMFAO! It runs on sugar, spice and love:rolleyes: lol bee you said u werent fixin her until this fall.........:confused: well i guess with isabel the danzi's season was knocked short:eek: :p l8er man!

Dave400ex
09-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Do you have any pictures of the Gibson front end on your R?

T-R-X
09-29-2003, 08:40 PM
I have the Gibson +3 a-arms, and axis long travel shocks, that are fully adjustable, that i bought from K and K atv. They work excellent at Southwick. I also race at Jolly Rogers, and practice at Uxbridge. After almost 2 seasons on them already, they are holding up great.

jlhughes750
09-30-2003, 08:41 AM
I'm gonna try to get a pic on here tonight for now u can go to ECATV's site and check out the GIBSON section, my bikes on there.
Or check out www.motorcycleracingaction.com go to photos and then to recent events, then go to BP race and the Dutchmen last week, there some pics towards the end of my bike!!before the race, theres a good shot of the frt. end.

later, J

jlhughes750
10-02-2003, 07:17 AM
I'll get Harlen to snap a pic and post it on here at the race this weekend... no camera for me yet!!
later, J

ScreaminZ400
10-04-2003, 11:01 AM
i have a gibson/axis front end as well

jlhughes750
10-07-2003, 11:03 AM
mx or XC?

Evan
10-07-2003, 12:43 PM
jlhughes750-arent you the guy that used to push Herrmann products heavily?-what happend?

I thought Natalie rode for Legacy-and had Legacy LT a-arms:confused:

These things work better than the t-pin? 1100$ for a-arms is pretty steep-they better work good

ScreaminZ400
10-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
mx or XC? mx baby lol

bmw500hp
10-09-2003, 09:53 PM
J, why don't you post some pics of the new setup. It sounds real nice. Right now Doug Roll says his new setup which is forthcomming in January will "blow everything away". Sure the price will too...lol :cool: but "ya get what ya pay for"....

YLW400
10-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Whatever you do....make sure you Loc-tite the allen screws in that go through the ball joints!!!!! First time I took mine out, I was at Budds Creek. I came off of a huge downhill, and one of the bolts fell out.....Thank god I saw the spindle flopping and was slowing down.....Just make it easy, and use Loc Tite..lol Also a good idea to spray brake cleaner in there (and on the bolt) initially to get any dirt of oil out of there, let it dry for a few minutes then apply Loc-Tite and tighten....... Have any of you guys been noticing any slop in your ball joints at all????????

bmw500hp
10-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
Whatever you do....make sure you Loc-tite the allen screws in that go through the ball joints!!!!! First time I took mine out, I was at Budds Creek. I came off of a huge downhill, and one of the bolts fell out.....Thank god I saw the spindle flopping and was slowing down.....Just make it easy, and use Loc Tite..lol Also a good idea to spray brake cleaner in there (and on the bolt) initially to get any dirt of oil out of there, let it dry for a few minutes then apply Loc-Tite and tighten....... Have any of you guys been noticing any slop in your ball joints at all????????

your talking about the "cup" designed to hold the sphericals? yeah, when i clean and lube I change out to new c-clips, and use loc-tite. Why not take the extra measures for safety?:)

jlhughes750
10-10-2003, 11:47 AM
I admit i am a computer retard, i don't have the means to post pics, i gotta get someone else to do it for me. theres a pic of the frt. end in the race section in the Taylortown pics post...

yes, i used to use other products, things just didn't work out.thats all i'd like to say about that. not here to bash anyone.

once i tried these GIBSON XC long travel arms, i couldn't use anything else. they are superior to anything i've had. I have a pretty hooked up EX with Axis, i raced it last weekend for the first time in a few weeks. I couldn't wait to get off that thing and get on the R with the Gibson frt. end, that lt 19inch shock set up is really smooth and plush i love it!

as far as JN and Legacy, i no nothing!!!! all i know is he was whoopin arse on his YFZ and he had those Gibson lt MX arms on the frt. He whooped riders who he normally struggles to beat, and the only thing he change was the frt. end.

YLW- yeah i know what u mean about the loc-tite. its real important, glass beading, carb cleaner and loctite are fool prove!!!

jlhughes750
10-10-2003, 11:52 AM
also go over to there site. www.eastcoastatv.com

go to Gibson section, thats my bike in the pic. blue Arens frame with black Gibsons. its an XC quad.

NTPRacing#19
10-12-2003, 05:30 PM
you do know that natalie loves that track right? that makes a huge difference into whos going to do good there or not.

suspension setup and all is key but gibson and axis arnt the top notch stuff anymore.

ScreaminZ400
10-12-2003, 08:39 PM
what is then?

YLW400
10-13-2003, 06:23 AM
Gibson my not be the "best", but I would certaintly say Axis is ONE of the best.......

NTPRacing#19
10-13-2003, 03:56 PM
i would have to say that pep has out done axis lately, look at what suspension is on most of the pro quads, its the PEP big dogs, they really perform.

YLW400
10-14-2003, 06:20 AM
Ok...and what are the two or three best a-arms manufacturers...in your opinion.....

forum
10-14-2003, 07:30 AM
my opinion is. LT is LT. Well all gull wing 19 inch shock setups are. as long as they got the same range of motion theres no difference other then price and stickers. Aparently gibsons main reason for the extra bend is to keep doug roll of his arse. I believe it.

YLW400
10-14-2003, 08:14 AM
I don't agree there........Look at the different type of ball joints out there for one...., geometry...

10-14-2003, 08:37 AM
I have been able to ride ELKA, PEP, and AXIS.

I have also rode quads with T-pin, Gibson, Roll, Herrmann, Houser, JRD.

Im not pro, But would choose Axis over anything.

When it comes to arms, nothing will ever out do that T-Pin.
Roll and Gibson are very close. Along with JRD. Houser just seems to be a Laeger copy but no t-pin and handles worse:(

Theres just no bump steer on the T-pin. It was on a 2 smoke and i didnt even get tired riding it.

The gull wing is all about perfecting the geometry. Ball joints are another key factor. I think Doug Roll will have a new "product" coming out soon. That will turn some heads.

bmw500hp
10-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Curt

The gull wing is all about perfecting the geometry. Ball joints are another key factor. I think Doug Roll will have a new "product" coming out soon. That will turn some heads.

that's putting it mildly!

jlhughes750
10-14-2003, 11:56 AM
the bend on the Gibsons is for ground clearance.. it makes a lil difference on the MX track cornering through ruts, but the real advantage is in the woods on the Xc track. I have a ROLL XC bike with 3 left lower a- arms on the shelf and 1 right lower, just from rocks and stumps. I don't think the GIBSON's will have that problem... The Roll arms are the ones i have seen bent the most. Mybe not for MX but at the GNCC and Harescrambles nearly every Roll arm out there is tweaked on the bottom and for the $ its tuff to replace them. The left lower on our ROLL is bent now, but i'm not spending another dime on Roll stuff.

Also PEP does not have AXIS beat at all. thats a matter of opinion!!!!! there are nearly no PEP shocks left at the GNCC's!!!!!none!!! the entire Pro class is on AXIS!!!!!

later, J

user101
10-14-2003, 02:29 PM
[i]
there are nearly no PEP shocks left at the GNCC's!!!!!none!!! the entire Pro class is on AXIS!!!!!

later, J [/B]

lets think about that. i agree with peps not being as popular w/ the xc croud

the statement about the entire proclass being on axis is wrong. yokley,duvall, and many others run a elka/roll setup.

NTPRacing#19
10-14-2003, 02:57 PM
im a mx racer and i see more pep suspension on the pro bikes than anything, as for my opinion on LT a arms is the walsh and leager setups.

Dave400ex
10-14-2003, 03:09 PM
This new Vector stuff is what I'm watching. I think they are going to get very big.

jlhughes750
10-15-2003, 07:08 AM
yea i forgot about Yoke and Duvall on their Elkas!! sorry

jlhughes750
10-17-2003, 11:05 AM
:confused:

400exBro
10-17-2003, 03:30 PM
has anyone got the kit from K&k or east coast, they come with gibson lt, axis shocks for 2500 for the yzf450?
is that a good deal?
i am thinking about doing that for the yzf450/crf 450 which ever one i get..
Also do they have kit for the rear as well, gibson swing arm and axis lt shock?
thanks

EX 80
10-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
i would have to say that pep has out done axis lately, look at what suspension is on most of the pro quads, its the PEP big dogs, they really perform.

J. Jones, J. Byrd, J. Natalie, just to name a few use AXIS from what i saw.

forum
10-19-2003, 09:52 AM
i said. as long as they use the same type of ball joint (equal range of motion) then theres no diference. If the shock used for both is setup exactly the same it doesnt matter if theres a million bends in it. Offcourse yes the ground clearence may make a difference, But i personaly don't believe it would make much differnece. (i race mx though) To me the extra bend would add extra material/weight. two guys I know pretty well use them and love them. Good deal I would say. I just don't like the looks of them for some reason.

jlhughes750
10-19-2003, 06:45 PM
yeah, Forum, i said that same thing myself, on one of these threads i think, then i tried them, mine work nice i like em'.
the do look different but they work great,

pnut420
12-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Santo says Axis and Roll, and Walsh are right there with them. He knows he stuff and doesnt just tell you want you want to hear. I would get Axis if I ws buying new, but I got a good deal on my PEP, the a-arms I will go with whatever I get a good deal on.

I think one thing we have to remember is not everyone likes the same geometry, etc.. That is why they make different bend handlebars, etc. Some people say 2 strokes are faster on MX tracks, other will argue 4 strokes, it just matters what you like, I have a 400ex and think I would have been better off with a R, but I dont go around saying R's or 400's are better, it is all opinion.

I judge what I buy alot by the durability, but most important the customer service. From what I know Roll, Laeger, Walsh stand behind their product more than alot of the others and their arms hold up great.

jlhughes750
12-10-2003, 11:52 AM
I liked the ground clearance on the(GIBSON) arms themselves. I repalced a few lower Roll arms because of hitting rocks and such. I have not had any scaring on the Gibson's.

Kilabanshee
12-10-2003, 01:54 PM
I went to John. Natalie's atv camp at rausch it was pretty awesome.

YLW400
12-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Does he still have that camp there??

Kilabanshee
12-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Iam not sure i went to it i think it was 2 years ago when i first got my quad.