PDA

View Full Version : polished aluminum

bradley300
09-25-2003, 09:59 AM
how long does the polish last if i polished my bumper and grab bar? would i have to re-polish after every ride or what? anyone reccomend a certain polish, where do i get it?

foxhonda_400ex
09-25-2003, 10:14 AM
well if you use a good polish, plan on a long time if you want a good shine. any small scatches in the surface will ruin a polish job, so if you do it right you have to get a fine sandpaper and sand them all out. then you have to polish out all the scratches you made with the fine sandpaper. if you have a DA sander and a electric or pnumatic polisher. you could probably get them done in a couple hours. repolishing is usually just touching it up. you dont have to repeat all that. you can get clear coats to put on top of the polish to seal it up and keep the shine longer. por 15 makes a clear coat for polished metals, i haven't used it yet, but i hope to when i have time to strip my motor and other things to polish them. hope this helps ya some.

bradley300
09-25-2003, 08:35 PM
these are going to be brand new parts, never mounted

09-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by foxhonda_400ex
well if you use a good polish, plan on a long time if you want a good shine. any small scatches in the surface will ruin a polish job, so if you do it right you have to get a fine sandpaper and sand them all out. then you have to polish out all the scratches you made with the fine sandpaper. if you have a DA sander and a electric or pnumatic polisher. you could probably get them done in a couple hours. repolishing is usually just touching it up. you dont have to repeat all that. you can get clear coats to put on top of the polish to seal it up and keep the shine longer. por 15 makes a clear coat for polished metals, i haven't used it yet, but i hope to when i have time to strip my motor and other things to polish them. hope this helps ya some. a few hours to do a bumper and grab bar..i dunno what method your using....but i could get the, both done in about 30 minutes total

310Rduner
09-26-2003, 04:57 PM
If they are going to be brand new parts, like an Ac bumper i would just whip out the Mothers, and put about 5 coats of that on, then switch to some Mothers Billet polish, or Blue magic, and finish it.
To keep smudges, and fingerprints off, i put some liquid mothers chrome polish on there, if you touch it, your prints will come off with a rag, or just evaporate off.

Since it is brand new aluminum, I dont see you wanting to really spend several hours sanding it, just slap on some polish and it will look pretty nice. As soon as you wash it, its gone. But it is MUCH easier to make it shinier the second time as those compounds have still left an effect on the metal.:)

I would not even THINK about polishing it by hand using sand paper, if you don't have a fine sander that can work pretty well around round tubing, i wouldn't waste my time with it.

Anything like covers and stuff tho, dont worry about bringing out the sand paper, and setting to work, it is much easier since it is a flatter surface, and much smaller. When i touch up my throttle, and rezzy covers i just put like two layers of polish on, and then that chrome polish so it doesn't smudge on contact.

bradley300
09-27-2003, 09:57 PM
thanks guys!