PDA

View Full Version : Did some drag racing

SpeedBump
09-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Well, I am really impressed with my Tecate4. The engine is all stock except for the pipe and reeds. A bunch of the local guys round here are gettin together for a day of drags. Eveyone been flappin their gums about who is the fastest, so a few of us decided to set up some racing. If you don't show up and race, then you can't talk smack ANYMORE. That is our new rule. Kinda funny eh? Anyway, a few of us been going back and forth for the last few days, and couldn't resist the temptation to go out and do some preview runs. The one guy in particular has a Banshee with a good bit of engine work done. Lotsa name brand stuff, really a sweet machine (for a Shee). His is supposd to be the quickest quad around. We ran about 500' across open field. Bit of grass, bit of dirt. he had trouble with traction. I didn't have nearly as much trouble. I beat him EVERY run. By the time he got the power to the ground, I was long gone. I won by at least 3 lenghts each time. We ran both directions, and the only time we ran with a rolling 2nd gear start, he edged me out, but he got a jump on me at the start. He never pulled away anymore than the initial jump. Tonight, my buddy on a 88 R couldn't take it anymore. He was talkin HUGE amounts of smack, about how HE would wipe my ***** up. Well, he didn't. We ran same place, we were about dead even, with the guy who jumped first winning. his R is a full race ported, Paul Turner piped, heavy carbed machine. He was not happy. Not one word of smack outta his mouth after we ran. He quitely said good nite, and headed home. Another one of our friend had his brother's 406EX. Either one of us could barely beat him. If we did, it was not by much. The thing is really impressive, considering it is breathing through a STOCK exhaust and a STOCK carb/filter. The engine has lots of internal mods, but the quad LOOKS stock as can be. Hope he decides NOT to pipe and mod it. If he does, we gonna have to do some more work to ours. If anyone lives close to Ebensburg and wants to come out and watch/race the big day will be OCT12th. There will be a trail ride too, kinda to keep guys from settin up for drags.....lowering struts, shorter shocks, big extended swingers.....this isn't about who can build a DRAG quad, it is about who has the fastest everyday trail/play riding machine.

cabex
09-24-2003, 09:38 PM
that sounds funny how a heavy moded R and Shee couldnt hang with you, but yet a 406Ex could?:huh that sounds kinda funny

Trx4Life
09-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Its all about traction. My brother use to have an extreamely modded banshee and in a grassy field he could bearly beet a 300ex. If they got one the road or some hard pack dirt completely different story he would whip everyone (includeing other modded shes and rs) by 4-5 bikes at a couple hundered feet.

SpeedBump
09-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by cabex
that sounds funny how a heavy moded R and Shee couldnt hang with you, but yet a 406Ex could?:huh that sounds kinda funny but guess ya missed it. :rolleyes:

BTW a 406EX done right is a VERY impressive ride. It is running stock tires, and the ONLY change to gearing it a 16 tooth front. This particular 406EX was run up the road with a GPS and clocked an impressive 76mph. A buddy that rides with us has a full blown you can't add anything else to it, 440. It clocked 83mph. The R that I just raced got 71MPH. Also running that night was a Cannondale Canibal, (remapped to the Moto specs) he got 77mph. It was the same night, and the same rider for all 4 machines to keep it consistent. As TRX4Life said, traction is a huge factor. go back and re-read the post, think about it for a minute and then tell me if you are sticking to your initial comments.