PDA

View Full Version : yamaha banshee question

400EXcrazy
09-24-2003, 08:21 PM
i am thinkin about tradin my 400ex in for a banshee. are they high maintenance? what is the regular maintenance? when do u need to replace the top end? and how fast are they stock?

Trx4Life
09-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Maitenance isent too bad. Stock ive heard every thing from about 69 up to 80 mph. I think its around 73 though, but dont hold me to that. Banshees are fun if all you want to do is go very fast in a strait line (which a 400ex can be moded to do very well) if you plan on doing more than that dont trade the ex. just my 2 cents.

RIDER11X
09-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Crazy Honda traded his modded 300ex for a Banshee to get the big HP. I rode both and it would be a cold day in H*** before my 400ex for one of those POS! The trannies are poor in comparison, and they don't feel good at all in the air.

WyoDuner
09-25-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't think it is necessary to call a Banshee a POS, Rider11x.

Anyhow... Rebuilds are a determined how you keep care of it. I'm past 4 years on my original top end and compression is very strong still and it runs perfect and always starts right up. Maintenance has been discussed many times but in short, besides mixing gas and oil it's the same as any other quad pretty much.

Stock speeds are low/mid 70 MPH range. With pipes you will get into low/mid 80 MPH range.

Banshees aren't for everyone but neither is any quad. Banshees are for people who like a good strong 2 stroke hit and screaming 2 stroke engine. Best suited for dunes or any other fast riding. OK on trails but certainly not the best trail machine. Trust me, once you get addicted to the engine you will be hooked. Handling is fine but it's not top of the line of course - that's something that is of different importance to different people.

RuffRyder400ex
09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by WyoDuner
I don't think it is necessary to call a Banshee a POS, Rider11x.

Anyhow... Rebuilds are a determined how you keep care of it. I'm past 4 years on my original top end and compression is very strong still and it runs perfect and always starts right up. Maintenance has been discussed many times but in short, besides mixing gas and oil it's the same as any other quad pretty much.

Stock speeds are low/mid 70 MPH range. With pipes you will get into low/mid 80 MPH range.

Banshees aren't for everyone but neither is any quad. Banshees are for people who like a good strong 2 stroke hit and screaming 2 stroke engine. Best suited for dunes or any other fast riding. OK on trails but certainly not the best trail machine. Trust me, once you get addicted to the engine you will be hooked. Handling is fine but it's not top of the line of course - that's something that is of different importance to different people.
i totally agree

RIDER11X
09-25-2003, 10:36 PM
OK I was a little out of line with the POS comment, but you have to agree that Yamaha could and should have done something about the trannies on them since their introduction.
If you ride eastern woods, you had better enjoy sitting in the woods waiting for it to cool after the rad boils over in muddy or technical sections though. This machine is not well suited to my kind of riding, and I was mearly stating MY honest opinion.

Sorry if that offended anyone.:o :(

WyoDuner
09-26-2003, 08:10 AM
The Banshee is definately suited for mud bogging or very technical situations that's for sure. Basically, if it isn't moving forward then it isn't cooling. Regular trail riding is not a problem just when it gets to the point of little or no forward motion.

The tranny isn't the best but it's OK... It's certainly not as smooth as the newer bikes.

The Banshee has stood the test of time - 16 years of production. It could use some upgrades but we know it will never happen especially with the 2006 2 stroke laws coming soon.

It is what it is, I guess.

ledofthezep
09-26-2003, 11:42 AM
I rode both and it would be a cold day in H*** before my 400ex for one of those POS! The trannies are poor in comparison, and they don't feel good at all in the air. :o :rolleyes:

With a little $ you can make a banshee suitable for any situation...mine's setup for MX now, and I mainly ride dunes. I can see why you'd say that though...you just rode one,...haven't ridden one. Hell, I feel outa place on the EX's...but I'm not going to talk **** on them, they're honerable bikes...especially with some mods. So if they're POS's...then let's race & see what kind of POS they really are.:devil:

Not wanting to start a war,...but don't talk **** when you can't back it up.:macho

RIDER11X
09-27-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ledofthezep
:o :rolleyes:

With a little $ you can make a banshee suitable for any situation...mine's setup for MX now, and I mainly ride dunes. I can see why you'd say that though...you just rode one,...haven't ridden one. Hell, I feel outa place on the EX's...but I'm not going to talk **** on them, they're honerable bikes...especially with some mods. So if they're POS's...then let's race & see what kind of POS they really are.:devil:

Not wanting to start a war,...but don't talk **** when you can't back it up.:macho
:mad: I just said I was a little out of line with the POS comment, and to be honest the reason I posted that was to prank Crazy Honda because we just rode Sunday, and he was having alot of bad luck. :rolleyes: We should all know that 90% of this game is skills when on reasonably comparable machines, so what does it really matter? Yes, Banshees are very formidable race machines and deserve respect, I just feel that the quality of the tranny is lacking in comparison to similar purpose machines.

NO FLAME INTENDED------------------------JUST MY OPINION:confused2

RIDER11X
09-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by ledofthezep
:o :rolleyes:

East coast woods racing anytime!:devil: :devil: :devil: ;)

Cheese_Head
09-27-2003, 09:44 AM
I just feel that the quality of the tranny is lacking in comparison to similar purpose machines

The Banshee tranny aint the smoothest outhere but it aint near as bad as you portray it...On top of it the tranny you seem to dislike so much is bullet proof it will hold its reliability till you reach about 140+ rwhp...Name me just one other quad transmission no matter what brand that will still be reliable once it has to deal with this type of power.

RIDER11X
09-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Cheese_Head
The Banshee tranny aint the smoothest outhere but it aint near as bad as you portray it...On top of it the tranny you seem to dislike so much is bullet proof it will hold its reliability till you reach about 140+ rwhp...Name me just one other quad transmission no matter what brand that will still be reliable once it has to deal with this type of power.
Well I must admit, you do have a really good point there that I never considered.:ermm: Like I said, to be honest the reason I posted that was to prank Crazy Honda because we just rode Sunday, and he was having alot of bad luck.:p

Cheese_Head
09-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Well I must admit, you do have a really good point there that I never considered. Like I said, to be honest the reason I posted that was to prank Crazy Honda because we just rode Sunday, and he was having alot of bad luck.

No biggie, i was just pointing out the fact that yes the Shee aint the smoothest shifting ride outhere but what it gives up in comfort it gains back in toughness and reliability... :cool:

Crazy Honda
09-30-2003, 09:53 AM
Dont count out the shee yet rider11x you rode it when it wasent all together right there will be a few mods for spring then you better get full body protection and get thoes lights on the 400 covered. (ps try to keep it on the wheels and dont tell me it your pushing the envlope we all know your just top heavy ...lol):devil: see you in the spring green county anyone;)

RIDER11X
09-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
Dont count out the shee yet rider11x you rode it when it wasent all together right there will be a few mods for spring then you better get full body protection and get thoes lights on the 400 covered. (ps try to keep it on the wheels and dont tell me it your pushing the envlope we all know your just top heavy ...lol):devil: see you in the spring green county anyone;)

See YOU at Yukon! :devil: I have a feeling you don't know just how much you will miss your 300ex. Vucina didn't need no Banshee, did he?:p Skills, skills, skills. Can't buy'em, gotta learn'em.:D

RIDER11X
09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
):devil: see you in the spring green county anyone;)

If you are going to do so well, then why don't you leave the security blanket of D class and ride with the big boys the way I did. We didn't have no D class. :p

Crazy Honda
09-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Iv got a first place pro class thropie hear what you got:rolleyes:
one race and wernt you there what did you get that day?
:devil: dont give me security blanket. slow poke...lol
:blah:

RIDER11X
09-30-2003, 11:35 AM
I wish I could win a.............................. THROPIE?:huh :p :devil:

THIRD PLACE PRO CLASS ............................OVERALL. As in over ALL. Where did you come in overall?:macho

Crazy Honda
09-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Rember I only raced one race didnt want to take away the only thing you had going just rember one more race and yould have nothing :devil:

RIDER11X
09-30-2003, 11:46 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p631aa076621f9b573c6c5914e8129010/fafc3164.jpg

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

hawiianpwr
10-01-2003, 06:56 PM
nice bowling trophy!:D

Just kidding!

RIDER11X
10-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
nice bowling trophy!:D
Just kidding!

:blah: :D

400grl
10-06-2003, 10:51 PM
I just bought a Banshee after I sold my 440 (I have to take a break from racing until spring, so I wanted a good dune quad in the meantime!).....I've never had a two stroke (or ridden one!) - but I have to say I love my Shee!!!! It's piped and jetted and all that - and it's an 04 - I'm actually really surprised at how smooth the tranny is!!! I can even shift it without the clutch like I used to on my Honda! It starts first kick and it's a blast.........and all this coming from a die hard Honda girl!!! :) (can't wait to see the 450r in action!!!)

RIDER11X
10-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I just bought a Banshee after I sold my 440 I can even shift it without the clutch like I used to on my Honda!

:eek2: Why would you do that?:huh That clutch is there for a reason, and that is just a bad practice! No flame intended, as I usually agree with your opinions on here, but no time is saved by not using the clutch. I powershift off of the gate by doing full throttle shifts WITH the clutch, and gain positions that way, but ALWAYS use it unless you really love splitting cases to replace bent shift forks and chipped gears.;)

400grl
10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Well - if you know you're in the right rpms and there is no force being exerted in shifting - that shouldn't hurt anything, should it? I don't jam it into gear or anything (I'm a toe shifter)and I usually only do it between 3rd and 4th - or 2nd and 3rd (and not all the time, just sometimes when I need to shift and I have arm pump and don't really think about it).......to be honest - it was just a habit I got into while racing - so maybe it's a bad habit? I never had any tranny prob's with my 440.........hmmm.......well.....I'll try to catch myself and make sure I use the clutch all the time if it's that bad! ;)

But I was still surprised that I could even do that with a Yamaha tranny - usually they are so "notchy" and spaced farther apart (I hate Rappy trannies)........so.....it was a nice surprise to have such a smooth shifting Yamaha! :)

RIDER11X
10-07-2003, 10:05 AM
They are a sweet machine for Dragging and hill climbing, for the fact that the front end doesn't get so light like a fourstroke, you can really get on them and they seem to want to spin rather than pull up in the front. They got to be a blast in the dunes!

And honestly, I don't know of anyone that doesn't like the signature sound of a banshee twin! They sound so cool!:D :D

400grl
10-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Yeah......only I am getting endless crap from my friends who know what a Honda fanatic I am!!! :) I'm going to try racing it at a big local TT race coming up in Prescott!!! Should be interesting! :)

RIDER11X
10-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Yeah......only I am getting endless crap from my friends who know what a Honda fanatic I am!!! :) I'm going to try racing it at a big local TT race coming up in Prescott!!! Should be interesting! :)

Yea, Crazy Honda switched from his 300ex to a bashee not long ago, and we've been doggin' him quite a bit about it as I intended in my first post in this thread.:D
TT should be natural territory for your Banshee. Good luck with your racing!
Are you getting a 450R when they come out?

LTandRaptorider
10-07-2003, 10:46 AM
But I was still surprised that I could even do that with a Yamaha tranny - usually they are so "notchy" and spaced farther apart (I hate Rappy trannies)........so.....it was a nice surprise to have such a smooth shifting Yamaha!

I do too! Big difference between how my LT shifts, and my Raptor. The Raptor feels like the throw is about 8 inches!!

Like everyone else said, it's all in what you like and how you use it. Crazy Honda just hasn't found the 'right' quad yet!! I hear he isn't much better with his r/c car!!!
:devil:

400grl
10-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Yeah - why do they make them like that anyway?? :) (not bashing on Rappy's - I've had one!)

Yeah - I PLAN on on it getting a 450, anyway! I will be getting a 450 for racing - and I really don't see me getting the YZ450......I'm going to watch them both for a little while, though..... before I buy one......just to see what I'm choosing between! :)

RIDER11X
10-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Crazy Honda just hasn't found the 'right' quad yet!! I hear he isn't much better with his r/c car!!!
:devil:

Yea he is looking for an unmanned drone to to complete the big double jump mission!:devil:
Ever see a remote controlled Banshee? You might !:p

LTandRaptorider
10-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Yeah - why do they make them like that anyway?? :) (not bashing on Rappy's - I've had one!)

Yeah - I PLAN on on it getting a 450, anyway! I will be getting a 450 for racing - and I really don't see me getting the YZ450......I'm going to watch them both for a little while, though..... before I buy one......just to see what I'm choosing between! :)

That's a good question! I put a Roll Design shifter on to eliminate the crappy linkage, it helped. I bought the Raptor on a whim, like I do with most of my purchases! I like it, but I'm like a fish out of water riding it. I'm used to my LT, and like it so much better, especially after the total rebuild I did on it last spring. 2-strokes can be much more tiring, however. And I ain't gettin' any younger! I was in a cycle shop the other day eyeing up the YFZ450... Maybe on implulse... :devil:

Good luck with racing the Banshee! :)

LTandRaptorider
10-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Yea he is looking for an unmanned drone to to complete the big double jump mission!:devil:
Ever see a remote controlled Banshee? You might !:p

I'm betting the drone will be smarter and ride better!!

By the way Clyde, your support check is a little over due...:mad:

86350x
10-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Hit the weights girly hands, power aerobics isn't gonna cure that arm pump by itself:p

J/k

You had a rappy?:huh

It's not the best for it to shift without it. I shift wide open but pull the lever in just enough to engage it, It just takes practice. IF you dl any of those dune vids just listen to how he's shifting it (kinda stupid but you'll see what I mean) Thats the way to do her though. I haven't had any clutch or tranny problems yet, and I'm cranking out alot of ponies also.

On down slopes launch it in second, and on some flat and hard surfaces. Going right into an uphill use first. I'll shut up now for everyones sake.

01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
get raptor 660r astock that and the banshee are about the same and its a 4 stroke and u can be hard on it and banshees u have to change the plugs alot

04limited
02-01-2005, 12:07 AM
I have a bone stock 04 banshee, We were out on the river (ice) with it, Stock close to 80mph.

yamahonda
02-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
:eek2: Why would you do that?:huh That clutch is there for a reason, and that is just a bad practice! No flame intended, as I usually agree with your opinions on here, but no time is saved by not using the clutch. I powershift off of the gate by doing full throttle shifts WITH the clutch, and gain positions that way, but ALWAYS use it unless you really love splitting cases to replace bent shift forks and chipped gears.;) i been riding quads and driving a pete for yrs and i never use a clutch to shift ..i only use my to take off... its called skills..... it maybe a lil faster to slip the clutch when dragging but i never use mine... and my clutch will last a long time too... and never bent a shift fork on my quads or on my pete with 130,000 lbs and 18 gears....:eek2: :eek2:

Got Roost?
03-09-2005, 08:40 AM
It's ALIVE!!!

Man, you guys kicked up an old thread.

rippen_honda400
03-09-2005, 10:25 PM
im doing the same thing, but im selling the 400 to buy one, the one im getting has a K & N air filter, toomey T-6's, v-force reeds, jet kit, durablue +2 and 4 ply tires, its pritty sick, how fast do you think that goes??