PDA

View Full Version : Shock Rebuilding

2000ex
09-24-2003, 08:15 PM
I am thinking of refreshing the shock oil and nitrogen in my stock rear, and works triple rates. It cannot be very difficult. I certainly understand that the valving, etc should be left for a professional. How difficult can it be with the correct tools to change the oil and refresh the nitrogen?

I have access to the local shops nitrogen, and have a shop manual from my ATC250r that shows the entire process. Anyone have any recommendations besides people telling me to send my shocks out to rebuilt?

2000ex
09-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Bump....Anyone done this????:confused:

Rip_Tear
09-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Thats cool that you want to do it your self, do you know what weight oil is in it now? That is crucial, and what kind of oil?(brand)

Good luck

2000ex
09-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Not sure about the weights of the oils used, but I would venture to guess since works sells their high performance shock oil on their site....that is what they use. Same with the Honda stock rear I am running.

Obviously running a heavier shock oil will stiffen the ride up a tad, but should not make as much difference as a change in valving.

lil400exman
09-25-2003, 07:55 PM
well also have to think about differences in temputures outside when finding oil for a shock. when its 90 degrees out the shock oil will be thinner than when its 9 degrees. you will have to find a good medium shock oil to work and everything. IMO just leave it to the professionals they know what they are doin!;)

Colby@C&DRacing
09-26-2003, 09:02 AM
The works front shocks use a 10w fluid and te stock rear uses a 7w fluid. if you put a lighter weight fluid in the works shocks they will be too soft.

2000ex
09-26-2003, 09:05 AM
So I should be safe with running the 10w oil all around? I cannot see the 3w difference between the works and the honda oils making that much difference.

Any particular advice or tricks in purging and filling the oil?

BigAl
09-26-2003, 02:22 PM
I have rebuilt my own shocks a few times as well as helping some friends with theirs.

With the manual to follow, you should have no trouble at all.

Take your time , and keep things super clean.

If your works don't have resevoirs, then you want to fill them to 1" from the top with oil (shock is upside down in a vise) then put the sealhead back in.

If they have Resevoirs, fill the res. with some oil, then fill the shock full, then put the seal head back in while letting the extra oil spill out.

It is important not to have any air in a res. shock. A non res. shock needs some air in it to keep it from becoming hydraulically locked.

You can call works, and they will fax you the instruction sheet for rebuildinbg your shocks

2000ex
09-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks Al, just what I was looking for.

I figured since I have overhauled more than a few engines....a little shock cannot be that complex to service.