PDA

View Full Version : 3 angle valve job on a 416

brianC400X
09-24-2003, 07:21 PM
has anyone done a 3 angle valve job to their 416 and got power?

chad502ex
09-24-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by brianC400X
has anyone done a 3 angle valve job to their 416 and got power?

get a 5 angle BIG BORE valve job then you'll get POWER!!!!!!

FastByGast.com does 5 angles,....

:)

Chad502EX.com

bmw500hp
09-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Chad, noticed the velocity stack on your airbox lid..how bout some info on it...never heard...thnx

PHIL_B54
09-25-2003, 05:27 AM
your 400ex came from the factory with a 3 angle valve job. companies just say they're putting a 3 angle valve job to make it sound expensive. so enless your valves are worn, i wouldnt think youd gain anything from it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13091&highlight=angle+valve

chad502ex
09-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
Chad, noticed the velocity stack on your airbox lid..how bout some info on it...never heard...thnx

hey bmw, my velocity stack is a standard 3" to 2" stack you can buy just about anywhere. do a search for them on the internet, they only cost a few bucks. Drill a 3" diameter hole towards the front of the lid (above the filter) so that the accelerated air flows right into the filter and into the intake. a rubber gasket holds the velocity stack in the lid; plus, the rubber gasket can be siliconed or hot-glued to help in securing the stack to the lid. Whats great is that the stack fits perfectly under the seat (below about an inch or two) and the curved design of the stack prevents water from entering the stack- even while stream crossing. As far as performance, it definitely helps to accelerate the air, which is what the motor prefers. Most ppl think that opening up their airbox completely gives your motor more air, but in fact more air (volume) is pulled in by the motors vaccuum on an intake stroke. The best thing about this velocity stack is that you can essentially bump up your jetting one size bigger and thus make more power. More fuel, more air, more power,..... and only for a few bucks!

Hope this helps.

:)
Chad502EX.com

chad502ex
09-25-2003, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chad502ex
[B]Most ppl think that opening up their airbox completely gives your motor more air, but in fact more air (volume) is pulled in by the motors vaccuum on an intake stroke.

Correction,....Most ppl think that opening up their airbox completely gives your motor more air, but in fact more air (volume) is pulled in by the motors vaccuum on an intake stroke if there is an acceleration of the air

Opening airbox= less air acceleration
velocity stack= acceleration of air at a given time gives more air in motor

More air, the leaner you are

Hope this isn't that confusing

:confused:

Chad502EX.com

nacs400ex
09-25-2003, 07:14 PM
nope, it makes sense.

chad502ex
09-26-2003, 10:45 AM
KEWL!

Chad502EX.com

bmw500hp
09-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Chad:

Thank you very much for full and complete reply. Basically, My quad runs (very) different with different lids or no lid, like this

-full lid....runs horrible..cuts, stutters, hessitates.

-lid with 6 1" holes...stutters a bit but is ok..must do this when alot of slop.

-no lid....runs beautiful...but can't do this all the time.

The way the quad runs with the lid off is so different and more enjoyable it's just a bummer to have to use the lid at all.....

I am hoping your concept of air acceleration may make a difference and is worth a try.

mike

toby400ex
09-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
Chad:

Thank you very much for full and complete reply. Basically, My quad runs (very) different with different lids or no lid, like this

-full lid....runs horrible..cuts, stutters, hessitates.

-lid with 6 1" holes...stutters a bit but is ok..must do this when alot of slop.

-no lid....runs beautiful...but can't do this all the time.

The way the quad runs with the lid off is so different and more enjoyable it's just a bummer to have to use the lid at all.....

I am hoping your concept of air acceleration may make a difference and is worth a try.

mike
Its obviously stuttering like he11 because it is jetted for to be used without an airbox lid, when u use the lid jet it down, when u dont use the lid put in a bigger main jet.:huh