PDA

View Full Version : turf tammers / ice tires?

vroom
09-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Hey guys , when i bought my 2001 400ex off this guy he gave me 18 inch turf tammers, i donno if they are tammy's but im assuming they are .. anyway he said i can drill ice studs into them and use it in snow and aice and what not... if these are the right tires to do this with ... where can i find ice studs and are they hard to install? are they good in snow also? oh... and he gave me some mudtrackkers too, are they better in snow? thanks alot for your time

09-24-2003, 01:04 PM
18 inch tamers will be the worst tire in snow ever. I couldnt even move with them on my quad. They are also to soft of a compound to stud with, even though they have a good pattern. The studs will just rip out. Cheng shin makes a good tire for snow and ice and made for studs.

Killefitt
09-24-2003, 01:25 PM
I've seen 1 guy put 3/8" studs in 18" tammers and a lot of studs would rip out, they must be soft rubber. If they are almost new you might be able to get away with 1/2" screws which might not cause any leaks, and also might not rip out.

For ice racing I would get a real ice tire like the chen shing which looks just like the tamer, it will hold 1/2" screws and is hard rubber. Some tricks: pump it up rock hard for more traction, and skip some knobs here and there to get more weight per stud for more bite. The guys who get serious run an extra layer of rubber inside the tire, bolt studs through it, and use a tube.

For snow, bigger is better, a tall mud tire will give you ground clearance, and the big lugs would probably hold studs well too.

Normal sheet metal screws work fine for playing around, carbide studs are basically the same shape but are harder so will last a little longer.

vroom
09-24-2003, 01:36 PM
mhmm well thanks for the input guys.. maybe they aren't tammy's im not really sure but he said you can drill screws into them for ice racing or snow... would a mud tire be good i nthe snow at all?

ZSK
09-25-2003, 07:40 PM
A lot of it has to depend on the type of snow, in light fluff it will bite right through and probably go right to the grass or the dirt, in heavy wet snow it will act just like a mud tire and clear itself of the snow. Mud tires work good in the snow, depending on the height of the tire and the tread pattern you will more than likely need to gear down to turn them.

ZSK
09-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Also it will probably ride a little rough on hard packed snow, mud tires usually do on hard pack, I just run my stockers in the snow, and they do fine.

speedy400
09-25-2003, 08:44 PM
BAD, turf tamers +ice/snow= sucky!!-darren

TheX1992
09-26-2003, 10:14 AM
just look on the side of the tire if you know know if they are turf tamers or not. sometimes people can get fake tamers. but i dont think they make them in 18" (around here they dont).