PDA

View Full Version : 440 cylinder to stock cylinder

markvette
09-24-2003, 07:59 AM
we have a 400ex wit the sparks 440 sleeve in it. to put the sparks sleeve in the motor the cases had to be bored. this cylinder has been a pain in the ***** and i want to go to a stock cylinder and sleeve with a wiseco 426 piston. i was told by a local shop that the small gap that would be between the cylinder and cases would not hurt anything and i could put the cylinder with the stock diameter sleeve on this motor. anyone done this or know for sure that it will not cause me problems. i really dont want to go to te expense of buying another cylinder and having the sparks 440 sleeve put in. i also dont want to spend the money for a cylinde and wiseco piston to find out it will not work with the bored cases.

Mark

F-16Guy
09-24-2003, 02:07 PM
You should be fine. Ideally, there should be a little space between the sleeve and case so that when things heat up and expand, there won't be a clearance problem. A little extra clearance should have no negative effects. You ought to be able to find a used jug and freshen it up with a .040-.080 bore for fairly cheap, or you could buy a new one for about $228. I just got done building a 406 (.040 overbore) for my buddy, and it runs great. Good luck.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-26-2003, 07:20 PM
you will be just fine.. I only have 1 recommendation run a JE or Ross 426 not a wiseco. I would feel that you would be happier with the ross or the JE they make better power for this application.

Bill Fuller
09-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
you will be just fine.. I only have 1 recommendation run a JE or Ross 426 not a wiseco. I would feel that you would be happier with the ross or the JE they make better power for this application. I agree 100% except I would go with a 416 instead of the 426.You will NOT be able to tell the difference unless you have a dyno on your butt:D Besides you can always rebore the 416 IF somthing happens.

markvette
09-26-2003, 07:50 PM
i will never buy another ross piston. i bought a 89.35mm from c and d about a month ago and it cost me $ 1000. the oil rings were to big for the cylinder and ross had to send me 3 sets before we found one that would fit right. i done the top end myself the first tme and the quad blew oil into the filter box. i took the qud to a shop because i thought i had messed up the oil rings. the shop had the same problem and had to get 2 different sets of rings before they found one set that would fit. called ross about this and asked that they pay part of the labor since it was a design flaw on their part. they basically told me to go fly a kite. so a $300 top end job ended up costing me a $ 1000 and it still blows oil in the filter box. no more ross pistons for me.

Mark

hondafox440
09-27-2003, 08:20 AM
You don't have to bore the cases to run a 440 kit. I have a Wiseco piston/sleeve in my 440, and we didn't touch the cases. It runs great too.

markvette
09-27-2003, 08:29 AM
you DO have to bore the cases for the curtis sparks 440 kit. it uses a differen sleeve that the wiseco does.

Mark

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-27-2003, 10:00 AM
I agree will Bill I would run the 416 1st..

Sorry to hear about the problem with ross, I have not ran into any problems with the 440 kits from ross. They make 5 different sizes of pistons for their 440 kit

a wiseco 440 kit uses a tapered sleeve (which is not a strong as a non tapered sleeve) this is why sparks runs a non tapered and the cases need to be bored.

sleeveslave
09-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Here's another suggestion:

If you are going to start by running an oversize piston anyway, why not re-sleeve the 440 cylinder to fit the 87mm piston? (or the piston of your choice) Save the cylinder and save some $$$.

Northwest Sleeve
Tech Staff

Waynes400ex
10-01-2003, 10:12 AM
I was thinking of doing the same sparks 440 kit. The cases have to be split to be bored correct? How come the cylinder was such a pain? If you were me would you not do the sparks 440? I dont want to spend alot of money on it tho