PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Chemistry Experiment:

310Rduner
09-23-2003, 09:04 PM
hey, i just need a couple ideas for a chemistry experiment if you guys can help.

It cant be anything like comparison related ( like a normal product experiment, or anything like that.).

I need actual experiments that relate to chemistry..?

Just ideas, we are just going through talking about it right now.

So far i have; effects of temp on metal malleability, effects of evaporation caused by other substances, and combustion rates and how the energy source affects it. ( like in an engine and spark plug)

If you guys have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Props to ya if ya werent scared to open this topic and read it.

lol.:D

Quad18star
09-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Do an acidity test . It's old skewl like grade 8 stuff . Take different soils or different substances like milk , water, orange juice and run an acidity test on them . Teachers will be IMPRESSED . HAHAH Its easy also .

310Rduner
09-23-2003, 09:21 PM
I kinda got the feeling from my teacher, that if we tried anything that basic we'd get a less than desirable score.. lol.

I mostly just need brainstorming ideas.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try the malleability, or the gas and current idea.

I just have to have 10 ideas written down.:grr:

Narly R
09-23-2003, 09:23 PM
show how a spark egnites the fuel inside an engine or sumthing, explain that stuff..... I dunno, were still making graphs....:confused2

Quad18star
09-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Hmm well then . Have you ever played with that stuff that burns like 100 times faster than anything else and is REALLY bright?? Its a metal which I can't think of the name . It's expensive stuff. A black powder . You have to mix it with some other stuff and it burns like hell . Seen it crack the window on a class that you do experiments in which takes all the vapours out . The color purple is always a BAD thing in chemistry . The teachers in College tell you that if you ever see the color purple , you better run . HAHA

JOEX
09-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Blowing stuff up is pretty cool!:devil:

Woodsrider
09-23-2003, 09:45 PM
What about a conversion? Like converting chemical energy to elctrical and visa-versa.

Quad18star
09-23-2003, 09:53 PM
If you can get ur hands on some plutonium , show them how to make a nuclear bomb ;) . Sorry dude , I'm all out of ideas , the last time I had a real chemistry class was back in grade 11 , so like 5 years ago . College stuff is more related to your field of study . I can show you how to mix concrete or asphault. LOL And you'll be damn certain it'll last YEARS. :D

310Rduner
09-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Lol thanks for the help guys. It generated some decent ideas for me to use.

Narly, i had that idea for doing that with a spark plug, and showing how the spark effects burn rates, and consumption of a gas.

I was thinking to eithe use a battery to ignite a spark plug, or most likely using the cdi and spark plug cap plus all the electricals on my R to fire a spark into a container of some kind, and showing how the different heats of the sparkplug burn the gas i inject.. hehe.

I was thinking to use some sort of clear container, like a lexan or plexi-glass, and covering a large portion of the inside with that heat reflective tape that looks like tin foil so that in will be less likely to melt....:eek: And i would inject some sort of substance, like spray paint into the closed container through some sort of metal like straw with a tiny hole cut in the side. and fit caulking or something around the strawy so none of it leaks out, and comes back to burn me lol.

Basically be making a cylinder out of some material, making a hole for the sparkplug, seal it around it or however, and do the same for the substance injector..

Would make an extremely kick-*** experiment.:macho

danney f
09-23-2003, 10:19 PM
I just typed "Chemistry Experiments" into a search engine and this is what it came up with

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results 1-15 of about 230895 containing "Chemistry Experiments"

Surely you can find something pretty cool by doing the same.:cool:

310Rduner
09-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by danney f
I just typed "Chemistry Experiments" into a search engine and this is what it came up with

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results 1-15 of about 230895 containing "Chemistry Experiments"

Surely you can find something pretty cool by doing the same.:cool:

i went through google directory into science, and then chemistry and searched Experiments.

Came up with much the same, but when going through them alot are crappy, and most are based around dissertations, and college to AP level long term experiments to write your thesis about lol.

JOEX
09-23-2003, 10:29 PM
I could be wrong but from what I remember from high school autoshop, the spark plug fires with 20K to 30K volts. A bit more than what the battery puts out.

Joe

Woodsrider
09-23-2003, 10:32 PM
I got it! you want to do a spark plug thing? make an acetelyne cannon:D My dads uses a single throw magneto to ignite the gas charge and boom!

310Rduner
09-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
I got it! you want to do a spark plug thing? make an acetelyne cannon:D My dads uses a single throw magneto to ignite the gas charge and boom!

This sounds like something i want to do regardless of it being an experiment..

Any more info on this, sounds like something a pyro (thats me)would enjoy:D

Joe:

I guess I'll just have to use my bike to kick it over. Just use some wire to lengthen the sparkplug cap and all that, dont want to be igniting volatile chemicals near my Bike!:eek:

VIC
09-24-2003, 12:43 AM
did you try www.howstuffworks.com theres alot of cool stuff in there about everything

blondie69
09-24-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Hmm well then . Have you ever played with that stuff that burns like 100 times faster than anything else and is REALLY bright?? Its a metal which I can't think of the name . It's expensive stuff.

ooooh that stuff is pretty, we've used that stuff before last yr in science. sry i can't help w/ the name...i still have my binder from last yr...but that was in 1st term, i threw out all the 1st term stuff, but i looked for it. then there's one where u put a gummy bear in this liquid and it catches on fire and like goes POOF!:eek2: its cute:blah:

sry i can't excatly help w/ ideas tho....i could probably think of some of the stuff we did last yr...but i wouldn't be able to remember any of them chemical names:huh

Quad18star
09-24-2003, 03:41 PM
How about the old Draino and Tin Foil experiment . Dont try it at home for all you young kids . It's a good way to lose parts of your body . It's amazing the amount of heat those two things put together can create.