PDA

View Full Version : Chain Removal and Gearing lessons

CG400ex
09-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Ok I have a 2000 400EX, I've had it for like three weeks. This is my first bike. It has a 16 tooth front gear, and I think a stock 38 tooth rear, haven't actually counted it.Probably should do that before posting this but oh well. A stock front sprocket for the 400 is a 15 th sprocket right?! So does going bigger in the front make a higher gear ratio, similar to going smaller in the back?! how does it work
would a 14 increase accelaration and decrease top end...
or how does this work.
Also...I find no master link on the 520 O ring chain on my bike, how do you get the thing off?! Sounds stupid maybe but it's new to me, can anyone help with this!?
p.s. Teach me something about this gearing!!!:confused:

foxhonda_400ex
09-23-2003, 08:28 PM
first with your sproket, the 16t is a favorite of some, like myself, but some feel they need more torque. if you go down to something, do a 15t in the front and try that to see how it feels. if you still want more try the 14t.

this chart can give you the different ratios
http://www.phatmatts.com/Gearing_Chart/gearing_chart.html

in the honda service manual to get the chain off you have to remove the entire swing arm, i got my first one off by using a chain breaker to push out one of the pins to take it apart. or if you don't have access to one, and is going to get a new chain, just cut it in half any way you can.

hope this helps, just ask if anything is unclear

CG400ex
09-23-2003, 08:32 PM
I was hoping surely you wouldn't have to take the swing arm off, but, I have some a chain breaker tool, so I guess I could do that, the chain is in pretty bad shape anyways. Ok what about when I get a new chain will I have to custom make it to length and then use a master link or what
also so a 15t sprocket would give more take off speed that the 16 right, just less top end?

foxhonda_400ex
09-23-2003, 08:40 PM
with chain length, just get a stock size chain for the 15t, get two larger for the 16, and two smaller for the 14t, the master link will make up the diffence,

here is a better site for gear ratios, the one i gave you was chit

http://hondaex.com/techtips/gearing.htm

you will have faster take offs with the 15, but its not that big of difference, you gain 3 to 4 mph on top end with the 16t, i have a 16 and prefer it over all sizes

foxhonda_400ex
09-23-2003, 08:41 PM
this is also a good source for you gearing questions

http://hondaex.com/techtips/gearratiosfaq.htm

hope all this helps

CG400ex
09-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks yeah that helps me out a bunch I appreciate it.
This is my first night on this deal and I see it's pretty cool on here.
Thanks again.

bmw500hp
09-23-2003, 10:41 PM
If you are going from stock (15th) to the 14 tooth, just back off your chain for some slack at the carrier and pull the front off. Slap the new sprocket on and re-adjust.

Takes only Minutes. You have to ride gearing combo's to know what you like and what your terrain calls for. 14 looses top end but pulls well on hills, 16 fly's if you riding is top end oriented.

good luck and welcome to the site man!