PDA

View Full Version : Splitfire problems???

EXfireguy
02-01-2002, 05:01 PM
I am currently running a Splitfire plug in my bike and just heard from a factory JetSki rider that they shatter. Has anyone ever heard this or had dealing with it in any way? Let a fellow EX'er know. Thanx:confused:

02-01-2002, 06:12 PM
I've been running a Splitfire plug in my 400ex.....no problems to date.

And I though Splitfire was the design of the tip, I didn't know it was what happens to them when used.....:grr :blah JK

400MXer
02-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Did you notice any gains from the plug?

02-02-2002, 07:39 AM
I personnaly did not notice any performance gains.

Back in 1997, I ordered a K&N filter for my 300ex, and at that time everyone told me that the filter and "Splitfire" sparkplug was a hot set-up. Ever since, I used the Splitfire in my 300ex.

I have yet to have any spark plug problems....knock on wood. I even use Splitfire plugs in my pickup truck, no problems. As for a performance gain, not that I notice.

RideRed400EX
02-05-2002, 10:21 AM
The splitfire plugs won't do anything for power unless you use a high output ignition. I have found that they don't foul as quickly but it's not worth the extra money.

kc 300EX
02-05-2002, 01:23 PM
I use a split fire plug, I like it a lot better than NGK ones anyway, Ive had the same splitfir plug in my quad since December of 2000, its the most perfectest color imaginable, I dunno, just my preference

Ex'rMike
02-05-2002, 07:45 PM
I don't understand the logic behind the split fire plug. Think about it. Electricity will take the shortest distance to ground. The spark is not going to split, to create a bigger spark. It is simply going to pick the side that is closer. This is my opinion anyway.

ExerMike

Mitch400EX
02-05-2002, 08:09 PM
I've had good experiance with splitfires, had like 15 rides on the same plug! The NGK used to foul on me every two or three rides. As for performance gains, I seriously doubt any spark plug would produce noticible performance gains. About the most you can ask for from a plug is easier cold starting and less fouling

02-05-2002, 08:54 PM
I use the split fire Tripple Platium. The spf (splitfire shortened) doesn't split into to sparks, They put these on there to give the spark more place to jump from. The more sharper angles on a spark plug give it more chances to fire easier with more intensity.
Regular spark plugs wear out beacuse the middle electrode usualy rounds off and the spark has to work harder to jump across. The platium metal in spark plugs lasts longer because it it harder and Platium has less resittance so it transfers eletrictly easier. It's all very complicated and I tried to simplify it a little. If you want ot learn about spark plugs and how they realy work then go to www.ngksparkplugs.com I love NGK plugs but they don't offer a platium plug for the 400ex. I have used NGK for years now and woulnd't put anthing else in my quad. But the stock DPR8Z fouls out too easly in cold weather. Had the Spf and not had to replace it yet, It seems to start a little easier on those cold days too..

Just my 2 cents..

Juggalo
02-05-2002, 09:44 PM
i always thought platinum had a lot of resistance. why don't they make spark plugs with a silver coating or something (silver is a better conducter than even gold i think)

RideRed400EX
02-06-2002, 10:33 AM
Gold is by far the best conductor but it costs to much to be widely used. Because of their similar properties platinum should have a similar resistance rating to gold, both better than silver.

Scott
02-06-2002, 11:37 AM
I've had the same NGK since Jan of 2000, hasn't fouled yet. I understand the improvement of using platinum but don't see the gain of the split electrode designs. While one electrode fires, wouldn't the other three that aren't firing just get carbon build-up? Even if the spark alternates from one electrode to the next, the gap the spark is arcing across is the same length as a normal plug, so where's the gain? If you increase the gap, you're going to need a higher voltage to arc, which (on a stock ignition) would provide spark over a shorter duration of the rotation of the crank.

I'm just thinking outloud, so please tell me if I'm wrong. I don't see where the splitfire (or any of the other multiple electrode plugs) are worth the extra money. Guess maybe I'm just cheap or something...

MOFO
02-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by ExerMike
I don't understand the logic behind the split fire plug. Think about it. Electricity will take the shortest distance to ground. The spark is not going to split, to create a bigger spark. It is simply going to pick the side that is closer. This is my opinion anyway.

ExerMike

BINGO! We have a winner. There is NO performance gain by using these plugs. They are just a waste of $$$. Electric takes the shortest route to ground every time. My advice, just stick with the good 'ol NGK. Ask any engine builder....

Eric

MOFO
02-06-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Mitch400EX
I've had good experiance with splitfires, had like 15 rides on the same plug! The NGK used to foul on me every two or three rides. As for performance gains, I seriously doubt any spark plug would produce noticible performance gains. About the most you can ask for from a plug is easier cold starting and less fouling

If you cant get more than 15 rides out of a NGK, you have carb/engine problems.

Eric

EXfireguy
02-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Man, ask and you shall receive.. Thanx for the info. I build engines for cars all the time and see NO point in running a Splitfire, but since I was given one for my quad I thought what the heck. I see that NO gains are even possible, but I was not too sure about the breakage thing. I will run this one till I need to pull out old reliable NGK. Thanx again...
Chip:)

02-06-2002, 06:14 PM
If I can find the dyno chart on my lt250r I will show you what a platium plugs does.

On the dyno we got an extra 800rpm on top because the platium plug could still fire because of less resistance.

On high comp race motors comp can actual cause so much pressure a spark plug cannot fire properly. It sound stupid but ask any hardcore drag racer. If you go to the dragraces ask about any driver what kinda plug they use about 98% will say some type of platium or palladium plug. I know it sounds stupid but they do work just not on stock stuff as well as performance modified machines..

AS for the multi ended electrode ends. If they didnt work they why would NGK, Bosch,Splitfire, and AC-delco all make some sort of multi angle pug? I don't think they would all waste millions of dollors just to say it works and don't...

I'm not saying it does or doesn't work. I use the split fire platium because they are the only company who make a platuim plug. I have had great luck with platium plugs and will keep using them forever..

Stunz
02-07-2002, 08:40 AM
All,

Go back and read VWVR6 post.

I second his comments.

Bingo

MOFO
02-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by zooterboy
If I can find the dyno chart on my lt250r I will show you what a platium plugs does.

On the dyno we got an extra 800rpm on top because the platium plug could still fire because of less resistance.

On high comp race motors comp can actual cause so much pressure a spark plug cannot fire properly. It sound stupid but ask any hardcore drag racer. If you go to the dragraces ask about any driver what kinda plug they use about 98% will say some type of platium or palladium plug. I know it sounds stupid but they do work just not on stock stuff as well as performance modified machines..

AS for the multi ended electrode ends. If they didnt work they why would NGK, Bosch,Splitfire, and AC-delco all make some sort of multi angle pug? I don't think they would all waste millions of dollors just to say it works and don't...

I'm not saying it does or doesn't work. I use the split fire platium because they are the only company who make a platuim plug. I have had great luck with platium plugs and will keep using them forever..

You can get platium plugs that are not multi-electrode. Bosch makes them (just one example)...I used to run those in my VW. I agree the platium will last longer and under extreme and "not everyday" circumstances they can spark "better". But I still stand behind my split fire theory. The reason other companies are making plugs like that is all marketing to sell more plugs for more $$$. Its a "new & improved" product in the general publics eye, when in real world test's, it doesnt do a damn thing. Every industry has these types of items.

Eric

Scott
02-07-2002, 10:22 AM
I agree with Eric, look at the line of products that popped up after Slick50...

Stunz
02-07-2002, 11:01 AM
read this:

http://ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

read down a few lines in the web site and you can get some good info on spitfire.

02-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Bosch make a platium plug for the 400ex? Do you have the part #. In my statements I said " I'm not saying it does or dosen't work ( implying multi-angle)" I use the split fire because it is a platium plug. I would love to go back to NGK but they don't have a platium plug for the 400ex. If bosch makes one I'd probly buy it next time. But honstly though I have been using the split fire for several months now and can't realy complain..

Don't you think it's kinda funny though Bosch make a 4 angle platium spark plug though? Doesn't that out do split fire by 2 fold?

:rolleyes: Later

All in all just run what ya want> I still say my tire bright gives me 5 extra hp in the straightaways because of less wind resitance!!:huh

MOFO
02-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Nope, I dont believe Bosch makes a platinum plug for the 400EX. I mis read your post. I was talking about car plugs. I'm sure the splitfire plugs work fine....I'm just saying dont expect performance gains....thats all. :cool:

I'll have to check on those plugs though...I'm think my friend just picked up a platinum plug for his LT250 the other day....I'll get back to ya on that....

Eric

02-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Remember those old Splitfire commercials??? They had to stop airing them cause of no "real" gain. Yeah, the law found out the plugs didn't do anything and they had to quit claiming they did. Anyone else know this?

MOFO
02-08-2002, 05:38 AM
Yea, Stunz link talks about that.....dealing with the FTC.

Eric

Guy400
02-08-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by zooterboy
AS for the multi ended electrode ends. If they didnt work they why would NGK, Bosch,Splitfire, and AC-delco all make some sort of multi angle pug? I don't think they would all waste millions of dollors just to say it works and don't... These spark plug companies did not spend millions by splitting the end of the electrode. The math is simple why would Autolite (the company that produces the Splitfire) sell their normal plug for $.89 when they can split the tip of the electrode and sell it as a Splitfire plug for $5.99? I ran a Splitfire one time in my '92 LT. I pulled my old Champion out and gapped the Splitfire and put it in. Took it out and only about 45 minutes into my ride the bike just died and wouldn't restart. Pulled the plug and the electrode looked like it had burned off. Put the same old Champion back in and continued my ride and sold the bike 6 months later on that same plug. I was extremely annoyed and wrote Splitfire telling them that at $6/plug I expected more out of it than what I got and would not be recommending them to friend's that ask about them. I told them that my $1 car plug has lasted me 10x longer. They sent me a return letter sending their apologies and told me that since they're owned by the same company that produces the Autolite that they'd be interested in researching my plug and telling me their findings. They said that if I shipped the plug to them they'd research the plug and send me a voucher for another free SF plug. I told them no thanks, I'll stick with what I know works.

02-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Hey kids, if you're fouling out plugs in a four-stroke, you got a bigger problem than what plug to use. Honda designed your ignition system using an NGK, but what would Honda know about engine design anyway? Think about it. Maybe they would use the best plug for their engine just to uphold their reputation as the best. If I read my Honda service manuals,they all tell us to run a hotter plug if your temperature is below 41 deg.F and a colder plug if you do alot of extended high rpm riding.Fouling a plug in a four stroke usually means you have screwed with the jets, your air filter is dirty, or you have an ignition problem. After 31yrs. of playing with all kinds of engines, I've learned to seperate "hype" from reality when it comes to engine mods. Maybe Mr. Dunlap can offer some input as to what plugs he uses and why?:huh

02-09-2002, 05:45 PM
I had them in my mustang and the car ran like garbage a week or so after the install. I took all the plugs out and found one plug where the porcelain around the electrode shattered. That was in a car so I'm not sure how they react in ATV's. I personally will never use them again.