PDA

View Full Version : xr400 cam

dempsey400
09-23-2003, 09:59 AM
I was wondering about the xr400 cam. How much difference would it make on my 400? I have heard its better than the hotcams. I now have a e-series slip on and no airbox lid with a k&n and dynojet kit. Is a high compression piston and cam the next thing I should do. What brands of piston should I use. Thanks.

Slayer
09-23-2003, 11:59 AM
I think you'll find that most people on this board would agree that a piston and cam should be your next mod as far as your engine goes. From what i've been told the XR cam is pretty much the same as a hot cams stage1,good bottom & midrange. As far as pistons go get a Ross or JE 10.8 to 1 and you should be able to run pump gas. These are the same mods i'll be doing this winter to my 400. Good luck and welcome to EX riders :)

papaw
09-23-2003, 12:32 PM
as far as trail/woods riding goes this cam rocks.it keeps the power in the mid-low range.less fatigue when racing gncc's.thats just my opinion...

09-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by papaw
as far as trail/woods riding goes this cam rocks.it keeps the power in the mid-low range.less fatigue when racing gncc's.thats just my opinion...

Yuuup

It seems to work great for me..:cool:

UglyMotha™
09-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Yuuup

It seems to work great for me..:cool:

do i hear a hotcams in your future:eek:

hehe:cool:

dempsey400
09-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Are the hotcams crapppy. Ive read mixed reviews.

foxhonda_400ex
09-23-2003, 08:47 PM
what do you think is better for cost and power

the xr400 or the hotcam stage 1

if i'm going to buy one i want to hear reviews of people who've used them, and what they thing is the best cam for the money

UglyMotha™
09-24-2003, 05:08 AM
hotcams is by far the best bang for the buck yes they did have some issues earlier but they did address and the problem is now gone useally the only reviews you here about the cam are the bad ones, and thats why they have such a bad rap i've had mine in my bike for bout a year now, and it's still unstopable and i ride hard and rev the piss outta my bike it's really tanken a beating and shows no sign of failure

09-24-2003, 06:31 AM
if your gonna run a stage 1 then i'd just go ahead with the Honda cam. There about the same price and spec. and i've not read 1 review about quality problems with the XR400 cam.:D After all it is a honda part..

Ugly runs a stage 2 which is not a XC friendly cam I don't think..

UglyMotha™
09-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Rico

Ugly runs a stage 2 which is not a XC friendly cam I don't think..

i wouldn't say it's not friendly but it's not the best for xc i have no experience with the stage 1 the stage 2 is a mid to top cam and does not like to be lugged if you want it to go you have to keep the rpms up high it's almost like riding a two stroke

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I don't have any experience with the stg 1 but with my stg2 I would not say it is not a xc cam the other day when we were riding trails and what not I was in 4th gear went throug a tight section it boged for a little I gave it more throttle and no problems at all. I think for the money hotcam is the way to go :)

09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Come race a Midsouth Harescramble or GNCC out here and I can almost bet you'd stop to pull that stage 2 out during the race..:D

Or you'd burn up your clutch and God knows what else from trying to keep it from stalling out..:(

I was in 4th gear only 1 time per lap on a 9 mile course this weekend....if that tells ya anything.

The trails at hatfield for instance are paved highways compared to most riding/racing around here..:eek2:

UglyMotha™
09-24-2003, 08:36 AM
i think rico is calling dusty out :eek2:

09-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i think rico is calling dusty out :eek2:

Nope........I"m callin you out sucka....:macho

We'll discuss it in the boxing ring at Hatfield in 2 days...http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/boxer.gif

UglyMotha™
09-24-2003, 09:12 AM
i'll bring me spinach it'll be just like popeye and bluto only i'll let ya keep olive oil she was never a looker anyways:confused2

hotex
09-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Wow. I'b be willing to bet on that one. The reason the XR cam is less tiring is because it doesn't have the throttle response, torque, or HP that the Hot Cams have, especially the Stage 1 at low to mid rpm levels. Running the XR cam, it's not as hard to hang onto because it doesn't make as much power, ANYWHERE in the rpm range.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a box and a triangle can have the same height and width dimensions but they don't have the same volume!

Why take a half step with an stock XR400 cam when you can go a full step for less money with the Hot Cam?

09-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hotex

Why take a half step with an stock XR400 cam when you can go a full step for less money with the Hot Cam?

My answer would be do a search on hot cam problems and XR400 problems. Let me know what you find out...;)

I prefer reliable products that don't need to be inspected every 6 months for failure. Cough...hot....cough.....cams....cough..:D I also got my xr400 cam for LESS than a hotcam.

hotex
09-24-2003, 01:15 PM
That's OK, it doesn't perform as well, seems fair to me.

As far as the reliability goes with the Hot Cams, the design has changed, it's no longer an issue. Besides if one of the old styles fail, they take care of it.

foxhonda_400ex
09-24-2003, 09:58 PM
thank you for the advice on the cams. i'm hoping to do a 416 kit on my 400 this winter, i think i will go with a hotcam stage 1 due to the fact i like the low end power, if i wanted to ride a two stoke i would have bought one. if you think that i need a stage 2 with the bigger bore, let me know.

JD400exrider
09-24-2003, 11:35 PM
HRC Cam (Honda Racing Corp.) :muscle:
Honda Quality Little more money but well worth it.

I ride the woods 90% of the time. Not as tight of woods that Rico rides but she climbs the hills just fine.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Hotex you have alot of good points that I agree with:) Rico I am having trouble seening your point or (opinion) on the hot cam when you have never tryed one. I alway base my recommendations to my customers on facts and hands on experience, not just what someone else told me. Where do you come up with that a stage two cam will burn up a clutch in tight woods this statement is way off base. and as far as never being in 4th gear in a gncc course I disagree but that is not the point that silverfox was making the point is if a bike will pull out of a bog in fourth gear with the stage 2 hot cam it will do the same thing even easier in a lower gear thus proving that the cam has good bottom end power. There also is not a quality problem all problems have been addressed. Hell the hot cams are made with equiptment that they bought from honda. So in my professional (opinion) the hot cams are the best bag for the buck.:)

UglyMotha™
09-25-2003, 10:25 AM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/boxer.gif

hotex
09-26-2003, 01:29 PM
running a Stage 1 with a 416 piston is going to give you big bottom end power and low rpm pull. The midrange will be favorable as well and the top will be good as well. There are better top end cams out there but none that will give you better low end with as good a midrange.

rhandw69
09-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Ive been running an XR cam now for about 2 years, and overall im happy with it. Now ive talked on several occasions with Colby on the improvements that a Hotcam can make as well as the concerns about the quality. I really have no idea how it performs all i can base my guess off of is how someone else liked it. SO far, alot of people like the hot cams. Trinity I see is now selling the hotcams as well, so in my opinion something must be ok with them. This could be said for about 20 other cams out there as well. I do not race on tracks, nor woods, i primarily ride the sand dunes. THe way ive built my bike is to be a top end bike. Quick, high reving, built for sand drags, and tree shots. Now if you have a bike that will bog down in 4th gear, it could be perhaps other issues other than the cam. I guess in a round about way what im trying to say is, the more you ride with it, the more you will be apt to keep the motor running and pulling strong.
Im going with the hotcam.

Crowdog
10-20-2003, 07:54 AM
First off, I run at Sand Mountain, NV. Not any tight woods stuff. 3/4 to full throttle all the time.

I have:
FCR 39mm
416 10.8
XR400 Cam
cleanup up head
Pipe
Air filter
PPD Oil tank
Air scoops

Will I get a better dune machine with a Hotcams II or a HRC?

Is there any issue with the Hotcams not having a decompression mechanism?

Is this a do it yourself upgrade?

MotoXC33
10-20-2003, 11:58 AM
I like my xr 400 cam. I'd rather have a web cam, but the xr cam seems to pull pretty good. I have a 14 tooth front and it with the 426 and the cam I can run a gear higher and not have to downshift. It's less shifting so you don't get tired as fast. Make sure you clean your K and N alot!!! Dirt went through mine and messed up my 416 so bad i had to get a new sleeve. I run a wiseco piston. Seems alright, hasn't blown yet. lmao

JD400exrider
10-20-2003, 11:14 PM
crowdog. I have never rode with the xr 400 cam. I do have the same mods as you except the cam. I am happy with the HRC. Pulls very well at the mid to top end.

What main jet are you running on your fcr 39 up around shingle springs.

I will be at sand mountain on Nov. 7-9.

Crowdog
10-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by MotoXC33
I like my xr 400 cam. I'd rather have a web cam, but the xr cam seems to pull pretty good. I have a 14 tooth front and it with the 426 and the cam I can run a gear higher and not have to downshift. It's less shifting so you don't get tired as fast. Make sure you clean your K and N alot!!! Dirt went through mine and messed up my 416 so bad i had to get a new sleeve. I run a wiseco piston. Seems alright, hasn't blown yet. lmao

I can't remember what jet I have in there....

FYI. BLM will start installing closed signs next weekend at Sand Mountain. :(

10-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Rico I am having trouble seening your point or (opinion) on the hot cam when you have never tryed one. I alway base my recommendations to my customers on facts and hands on experience, not just what someone else told me. Where do you come up with that a stage two cam will burn up a clutch in tight woods this statement is way off base. and as far as never being in 4th gear in a gncc course I disagree but that is not the point that silverfox was making the point is if a bike will pull out of a bog in fourth gear with the stage 2 hot cam it will do the same thing even easier in a lower gear thus proving that the cam has good bottom end power. There also is not a quality problem all problems have been addressed. Hell the hot cams are made with equiptment that they bought from honda. So in my professional (opinion) the hot cams are the best bag for the buck.:)

I"m comparing the stage1 with the XR. Main difference..XR400 cams never had and never will have problems,,Hot cams has. End of story, that's my opinion on which one is better. The part about burnign up a clutch. Run a stage 2 for a full GNCC series and run a stage1. You'll get more miles from the clutch running the stage 1 than the stage 2 because your not gonna have to WORK your clutch as hard with the stage 1. I"m guessin you assumed i meant 1 GNCC race will burn up a clutch with a stage2.. Sorry for the lack of wording to explain myself. Not from experience but i've rode several topend quads in the woods,,,no thanks.. I guess my point is that you'll prematurelly wear your clutch out with a topend cam racing in the woods compared to a bottem end cam. :cool: Colby come race a midsouth XC race and you'll see what i mean. ;) :)

Pappy
10-21-2003, 12:12 PM
HELL RUN A TOP END CAM IN THE TREE'S...JUST LET ME KNOW SO I CAN BUY STOCK IN A CLUTCH COMPANY:eek: lmfao

if youve spent time tree bashing at all you will know why its not the best choice(top end vs a low or mid ) but for those that prefer it i say ride on.

as far as hot cams and thier problems. think of all the time and wasted money that was spent on a rebuild that ya just rebuilt only ta have to do it over again. im glad they fixed the problem...maybe a bit more research and developement would have prevented the issue. not to mention the poor people that trashed an engine and still to this day think it was thier fault. no hotcams for me....and rico's POS runs pretty damn good on the xr cam.

knighttime
10-21-2003, 12:21 PM
there have been lots of complaints with the hotcams. I installed and xr cam and it works great and you will notice a big difference. I think people like the hotcam cause of the fancy name.:eek2:

pnut420
10-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Poor Rico is getting bashed on, when he is really right in many ways, just cause you work or own a shop doesnt mean that you are the know how on everything. A stage 2 cam will wear out a clutch much faster than a stage 1, why do people tend to upgrade clutches when they run stage 2 cams and web cam's with hardened rockers.

I also got done with a huge arguement with hotex over the whole hot cam issue. Their were people that suffered damage to their engines due to the cam flange being loose, I dont care if it was 30 or 200, it did happen and it shouldn't be denied. Like Pappy said thier should have been more research and development. What i dont get is they are trying to say that the people that had the bad batch of hotcams had this problem because they didnt grease the flanges when they pressed them together, well why didnt the 200 before that batch have the problem, that just pinpoints that their was indeed a bad batch of cams, not improper installation.

howboutchaw
10-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Never owned a XR cam so I can't say much, but the stage 2 will be a lot harder on the clutch because it makes a *** load of power! The newer hot cams have the flange built into the cam, so there is no way that it is going to give trouble. As with any motor more duration and over lap will reduce low end cylinder pressure.
The happy medium is to up the compression ratio. Maybe I have been hitting the pipe too much, but I think my 416 has more low end than it did stock. On top it's pretty unruly. I don't race cross country so I don't know anything about what cam to run there. But I am damm happy with the hotcam for mx or just shutting up clowns on raptors up in a drag race.