PDA

View Full Version : Chroming/Polishing Costs: Right cover

310Rduner
09-23-2003, 12:44 AM
Hey, I just dropped my left cover off at the chromer's today, and I was wondering what you guys were charged for the right side?

He is charging me 50 for the left cover ( Esr billet aluminum) and he said because of the nature of the billet it would chrome Extremely well. When i had gone in a week before with my old cover to see what he would charge for it, he said that the metal was pretty pourous, and had flaws which would make it a little more of a flawed chrome job. ( I brought the old cover because it was more convenient at the time to grab it than it was to take off my other one.)

Since the right side is the same as the left was, im just wondering if you guys think i should go ahead and chrome/ polish it, and just see what comes out?

My engine covers are the black year ones, and not the solid gray one's for the other year 250R's. Also it appears that the paint on it is textured, and I'm wondering if that was typical of the 86 year covers. It seems to me that the gray ones are not textured in the paint.. rather just smoothe?

Sorry for the length of this, sometimes i just have a little trouble making something clear in a sentence or two lol. I also tend to give as much details as possible..

09-23-2003, 01:39 PM
yeh dude i know alot of people that have chormed side covers if he is good at all and goes through the right steps itll be fine.

nacs400ex
09-23-2003, 01:46 PM
I have an 86, and it polished out nice, I want to get it chrome but it costs more money then.

CHAUNCY
09-27-2003, 05:06 PM
This is my polished 250r engine.....turned out pretty nice. Did you get yours chromed ? How did it come out ?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p26c7c783eb2da7403e0d97a35f37c892/faf97b9b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pe7d60428b4efcf921e37a6bd4acec8ca/faf97b44.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p7c1f0337212c4f1b9390284a5be4b5f6/faf97aea.jpg

It has been sitting for a couple months so it is a little dull and "scuffed up" but it I think it looks good.

09-28-2003, 08:41 PM
ummmmm.........WoW!!!!!!

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Came out pretty freakin sweet chauncy. I was blown away actually:D

It's my new favorite color..

$55 for the left side ESR cover, triple plate chrome. It is literally like looking into your bathroom mirror, not a dimple or spot on the entire cover. Looking to see when i can afford to do the right side.:)

Nice looking engine man, i wouldnt mind polishing my cases, and cylinder, and chroming the rest out. The chromer's gave the number for a guy who does fine polishing on complicated surfaces ( i brought in my cylinder to ask him how $) and he said the other guy could probably do it for $100 at least, but as perfect as possible.

CHAUNCY
09-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Not a bad deal 310:) Thats the same way my polished stuff is, except I probably have more maintenence then chrome:confused:

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
Not a bad deal 310:) Thats the same way my polished stuff is, except I probably have more maintenence then chrome:confused:

yeah, i know how fun it is re-polishing stuff after every ride lol. I don't know if i could handle a whole motor to do. Well.. if someone offered me free polishing i'm sure i could manage.:)

jamiesel
09-29-2003, 12:17 PM
I don't know if that kind of investment into the stock clutch cover would be worth it, but I would step up on a hinson set up.

310Rduner
09-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by jamiesel
I don't know if that kind of investment into the stock clutch cover would be worth it, but I would step up on a hinson set up.

yeah, good point. I've been looking into the hinsons (of course, i like nice things:D) and i would probably go for it if i found a good deal on a perfect condition used one...