PDA

View Full Version : Computer Builders.....

JOEX
09-22-2003, 09:56 PM
It has come time to upgrade my computer. So I went to the electronics store and picked up these parts:

AMD Athalon XP 2000+ prcessor
ECS K7s5A Motherboard
256MB DDR Ram
BTC 52x32x52x CD-RW
ATX case w/ 300watt power supply
U.S. Robotics 56K PCI modem

I'm using my current 17.2G HD
CD-Rom drive
Floppy drive
ATI Rage 128 video card
Sound Blaster Live x-gamer 5.1 card

I put everyhing together but the monitor wont fire up. The light blinks as it is in "sleep" mode which is normal when the tower is off.
All the fans and drives have power and it sounds like the HD is working (maybe) I think I might have one of the switch wires wrong. The manual is kind of vague to me.

Can someone tell me where to start trouble shooting this or point me to a web site that can? This is my first time doing this, probably should of paid someone to put it together:rolleyes:

Joe

batgeek
09-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Joe,

i would dump that ATI Rage and get a real vid card :)

does the board have LEDs that tell if the board boots ok? does it POST correctly. like one nice beep.

i dunno much about this board but i did find a nice page for you to look at http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/k7s5aguide/

Castor-426ex
09-22-2003, 10:20 PM
unplug the modem and reseat the video card...make sure that you are getting a bios beep if you are and you hear processor activity it is a video card or monitor issue

jumpers on the motherboard are very important get all the info you can on that mb to figure out whats going on

JOEX
09-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the link:) I'll be spending some time there.

This is a budget rebuild so a new video card will have to come later:rolleyes: I haven't done any gaming for quite some time anyway.

I didn't hear any beeps but the LED and switch wiring is where I think I might have messed up:confused:

Joe

batgeek
09-22-2003, 10:26 PM
no beeps = not getting to POST correctly.

check if the processors is in there good. check if your RAM is seated correctly.

a computer will POST with just a proc and RAM in it. you can just disconnect all peripherals and see if it POSTs. next attach the vid card. then see if it POSTs again.

just keep adding cards til it doesn't POST any more.

if it doesn't POST bare bones(ie-just the proc and RAM) then you most likely have a bad mobo :(

JOEX
09-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
unplug the modem and reseat the video card...make sure that you are getting a bios beep if you are and you hear processor activity it is a video card or monitor issue

jumpers on the motherboard are very important get all the info you can on that mb to figure out whats going on
Jumpers......
That is another thing I may have done wrong:(

I didn't have the modem installed yet, actually it is this tower i'm using right now. What really sucks is having to move the drives back and forth between this computer and the new one:(

Joe

batgeek
09-22-2003, 10:35 PM
watch them jumpers....dont wanna overclock that proc on accident and blow it up!!:eek2:

Ballistic Atv
09-22-2003, 10:39 PM
Make sure that when you re-seat the video card or change the jumpers, that you only do one of those things and then re boot. So you can narrow it down by a process of elimination.
Also, dont forget the little possibilites, like the monitor cable not being properly installed or not installed at all. Study the manual and make sure you have the jumpers and that no cables are installed backwards.
I did have a computer I was building give me trouble exactly like you are describing, and I eventually narrowed it down to the motherboard and sent it back for a replacement. Turns out the replacement was faulty also so I talked to the tech department and they determined the whole batch of mobo's were bad. I hope that is not the case with your motherboard, but do not rule it out as a possibility.

Ballistic Atv
09-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Also, if nothing else works, try taking the processor out and check all the pins in the back to make sure non of them are bent, if they are bent only slightly you can straighten them with a very small coffee straw( a trick my a+certification teacher showed me).

Got Huevos?
09-22-2003, 10:46 PM
only 128 MB of DDR? :huh hope you dont plan on running windows XP that thing is a RAM hog.

JOEX
09-22-2003, 11:16 PM
I have 256MB DDR ram. Typed in the wrong numbers:rolleyes: I'll edit first post.....

Still no beeps with just the processor and ram.
Checked the processo pins, no bends. I lke the straw trick though:p

Clearing the CMOS..... Do i start it up when the jumpers are set to short (clear)? The manual says to remove all power cables and put the jumper cap into the CLEAR setting for a few seconds. Nothing about turning it on so I didn't. Maybe I need to let it "clear" for a longer period of time?

Joe

batgeek
09-22-2003, 11:21 PM
i wish i was sitting in front of your computer :(

JOEX
09-22-2003, 11:28 PM
If I had a digital camera i'd take picture of it for you:p

There is a guy at work who knows how to do this chit. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if can help. It is much easier when you can actually see what your working on instead of going off of word on the screen.

Thanks for the help, Joe

Rip_Tear
09-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Seriously try flipping the direction of the floppy disk cable, if its in the wrong way the computer wont boot... Computers can be really annoying. I just started building another computer and it wouldn't boot and I have gone though so many things to get it to boot up. :( I figured out what it is but its still annoying (I wont get into it because hopefully you wont have this problem...)

Have your reset your CMOS? That could be it too.

stace609
09-23-2003, 02:51 PM
i don't wanna scare you but when i had my old 133 i was messing with it and i switched the power cords up to the motherboard and it was done. i forget what the cords are called...it's been awhile. for some reason i keep thinking ps2 or something but i might be thinking of playstation:p

anyway, it did the same thing you are describing, or at least what is sounds likes from your description. it would start and fans would run and lights would be on but noone was home. good luck and i hope you can get it to work. but check those cords.

JOEX
09-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Well. I found out what the problem was........
I'm a dumb-chit:rolleyes: I didn't have the processor and heat sink properly seated. Me being the typical male I made it fit the wrong way.:huh Didn't read the right directions......

I'm using the new comp. now:cool: :macho Still need to get a couple of minor things set up though.

Thanks for all the help, Joe

coryatver
09-23-2003, 04:45 PM
ot but The new athlon chip coming out is gonna be awesome. Pentium also has one coming out to compete but its a lot more money.