PDA

View Full Version : Best Filter

250exlogan
09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
What kind of filter to you guys run? Oh ya with or with out Outerwear?
I run my stock filter with Outerwear and no airbok lid.

09-22-2003, 07:46 PM
i run a K&N now...i was running a sparks foam airfilter...and i always run an outerwear...but i took off my snorkle...if u r looking to get a new filter go with K&N...i was down at the dunes and the sand got through those lil plastic gabs in the outerwear(u prolly kno by now that the pos velcro doesnt work)so sand got in and the pos foam airfilter let it right through...so...go gauze...and the best gauze is K&N

ghak99
09-22-2003, 10:23 PM
I run a KnN with an outerwear and no air box lid. I run it threw a huge water hole this weekend took my seat off and the water was just sitting on the outerwear, not a bit of it soaked in, it was only 2 days old though.

danney f
09-23-2003, 12:58 AM
I spray my outerwear with the K/N oil, it seem to help catch the dust better and resist water.

zfire_28
09-23-2003, 01:15 AM
K&N w/Outerwear;)

stupid driver
09-23-2003, 06:19 AM
K & N here. Well oiled outerwear on top of that. Also, i hear those filterskins by PC racing are pretty good as well

Pimpin400ex 15
09-23-2003, 09:47 AM
K&N with outerwear with no airbox lid:D

250exlogan
09-23-2003, 03:01 PM
D you guys think i should put my K&N on? I have a stock, WB Power filter and a k&N. which one???? A olways have outerwaer on it!

ryanh250ex
09-23-2003, 03:20 PM
stock filter with stock airbox and snorkel :(

since i'm currently running lean on this set-up (i'm running a 96, stock is 95), do you think a 102 mj would be good for no lid?

250exlogan
09-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Im runin a 97 and i have stock filter w/ outerwear and no lid!!

ryanh250ex
10-10-2003, 10:34 PM
bump

ewalker302
10-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Uni

This is what engine builder Mickey Dunlap says

4punksdad asks;
Do you suggest a foam air filter, or the paper K&N type and why?

thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I have learned a lot so far.

answer

Although I like the K&N because it flows good, I suggest running an Outerwear on the K&N's at all times and in real dusty conditions a foam wrap around the K&N also. An after-market foam filter will work fine for all that you have done now. It's only when you build the motor up with cams, pipes and port & flow work will the air cleaner hinder you.

Do a search, you will find that lots of people say they have found fine dust-sand in the intake when running a k&n.

& don't pay any attention to the one guy here that keeps posting that a foam filter destroyed his engine. :rolleyes:

:bandit:

Toadz400
10-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302
& don't pay any attention to the one guy here that keeps posting that a foam filter destroyed his engine. :rolleyes:

amen. the guy who says foam will destroy your engine...it's only because he never oiled the filter...

i use uni on my banshee, and never had a speck of dust in my intake boot. K&N w/ outerwear (outwear is oiled too) on my 400ex, and my intake boot is always covered with fine dust from riding on my trail, even when it's not too dusty out!

if you ride in normal conditions, where you get a regular amount of light rain or something to keep it from getting dusty, then i'd run K&N w/ outwear, but if you want to go all protection, and still have good air flow (at least better than stock) i'd go with Uni.

JUST REMEMBER TO ALWAYS OIL YOUR FILTER, remember that one XxHonda_RacerxX ;) :p

stupid driver
10-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
JUST REMEMBER TO ALWAYS OIL YOUR FILTER

Very Very important that you do. If ya dont, you might as well be running a coffee filter rubberbanded onto your intake boot

INFANTRY RACING
10-15-2003, 07:09 AM
k&n and outerwares destoryed my engine. I run a moose filter now

10-15-2003, 03:07 PM
how bout u guys shut it lol...the instructions said pre oiled..so im like ok kool...stuck her on...sand took engine out...didnt kno u had to dump a joo load on it...and mickey and me aint the best of buds after our lil oil cooler war ;) but i got no probs wit em...great engine builder...i just thought his cooler was a tad bit on the high side money wize

ewalker302
10-16-2003, 02:30 AM
OK so always check for yourself if a filter says it is preoiled.

When you touch it, it should feel oily dontcha think??

& you dont need a joo load on it, in fact you should wring our all excess oil when you oil it. I learned this after dumping my little airbox drain tube about 5 times after oiling my uni for the first time, you really only need a small amount of filter oil to completley saturate a foam filter.

I'm not goin after you hondaracer, I just don't want to see others make the same mistake & run a dry foam filter.

& I really like K&N products for cars & trucks that is.

kargaaro
10-16-2003, 05:29 AM
K&N with outerwear....
I clean mine after every race.

bmw500hp
10-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302

Although I like the K&N because it flows good, I suggest running an Outerwear on the K&N's at all times and in real dusty conditions a foam wrap around the K&N also.

Where to get that (foam) filter wrap that you use on the K&N?

Also a outerwear is impregnated with a chemical that repels water and that has given life span. Sounds like re-treating wouldnt be a bad idea.

Anyone know what that chemical is? Wondering if it's similar to a silicone water repellent for clothing?

10-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp

Also a outerwear is impregnated with a chemical that repels water and that has given life span. Sounds like re-treating wouldnt be a bad idea.

Anyone know what that chemical is? Wondering if it's similar to a silicone water repellent for clothing?

I just spraying my outerwear with WD-40 once it's starting to show signs of wear. I usually rip them before the lifespan runs out on the chemical though...:mad: :grr:

TGW_400ex
10-16-2003, 08:20 AM
K&n w/ outerwear and no problems

10-16-2003, 03:18 PM
u have to order those foam wraps str8 from K&N...i got there catalog and they have them in there

bmw500hp
10-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
u have to order those foam wraps str8 from K&N...i got there catalog and they have them in there

Rico and X...thanks gentleman...:D

X man, you got a phone number for K&N?

ewalker302
10-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp

I don't know, that was written by mickey dunlap in the tech articles section. Probably just cut the ends off of a foam filter thats long enough to cover, but I still believe that a foam filter is the best way to go---I know if I was running a k&n I would be thinking about the fine particles getting through.

& I understand what you mean there, probably the same stuff like seam sealer or water proofing spray for tent fabric would work on the outerwear since this stuff dries on the fabric still allowing it to breath but repelling water.

I'm pretty sure they--outerwears are not meant to be oiled

10-16-2003, 05:01 PM
UNI with an EHS lid

bigredfan
10-16-2003, 07:24 PM
just a reply to xxhonda racerxx.My first reply on this board.If K&N sells those foam wrap filters for thers filters I believe you answered your on question as to which filter is the best,cause if they sell it it must mean they know there overpriced filter must not stop the dust.After all the factory uses foam.Save you money and buy a foam filter just make sure you keep it oiled.I clean mine everytime I ride.

310Rduner
10-16-2003, 09:25 PM
K&N w/outwear, and no airbox at all.:o

INFANTRY RACING
10-17-2003, 08:07 AM
It's your motor.. destroy it however you want

10-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
k&n and outerwares destoryed my engine. I run a moose filter now

Must not have had it installed correctly...:(

I"ve submarined my quad many times, had 3 inches of water in the bottom of my airbox with the k&n filter submerged.. Motor still runs like a champ. Good oiled filter, good oiled outerwear with some type of water repelent on it and biggest thing of all. PUT GREASE AROUND THE AIRBOOT INSIDE WERE THE FILTER SLIDES IN.

Toadz400
10-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Rico
PUT GREASE AROUND THE AIRBOOT INSIDE WERE THE FILTER SLIDES IN.

people say that K&N are so great, but why does dust still get through? i've properly cleaned it, and oiled it very well. the air flow is great, i can tell, but my Uni filter has never let any dust through before, but with the K&N on my 400 every time after riding, i have dust on the inside of my intake boot. and everything is on tight too.

INFANTRY RACING
10-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
people say that K&N are so great, but why does dust still get through? i've properly cleaned it, and oiled it very well. the air flow is great, i can tell, but my Uni filter has never let any dust through before, but with the K&N on my 400 every time after riding, i have dust on the inside of my intake boot. and everything is on tight too. i dunno why they feel that way either.:confused:

ewalker302
10-18-2003, 12:29 AM
Ok let me break it down

K&N is a great filter for a car/truck, it's under the hood & dosent get exposed to fine particles on the highway like a filter on a quad does.

On a quad the intake is close to the ground, always running offroad, & if you ride with sombody else or a group, often your intake is just sucking in dust kicked up by other riders.

A oiled foam filter does a better job of filtering the dust than a K&N type filter.

K&N got into the atv game to make money & it was a very good business decision. They've made lots of money off atv filters.

People who have shelled out 50 bucks for a air filter 12 for a outerwear & another 10 for the clean/oil kit dont want to admit that a uni filters dust better, and they cost less to buy & maintain.

Thats just human nature.

I run K&N's in all my cars/trucks & never noticed any dust or anything, I think they do a lot better job than the paper filters, but i read a lot of posts here that said they had noticed fine dust getting in their quads, or I would have probably got a K&N too.