PDA

View Full Version : chain grunge

phatswinn
02-01-2002, 01:13 PM
is there any way to clean the grunge out off the chain? I tried a tooth brush and degreaser but it didnt get it all out. thanks for your help

JabberJaw
02-01-2002, 01:23 PM
The best way I know of is to remove the chain and soak it, next to that, powerwashing it works well also. I use regular engine oil on my chain, applied with a toothbrush. My chain looks brand new after a year.

Mitch400EX
02-01-2002, 01:27 PM
What kind of degreaser were you using? I used a liberal amount of Gunk engine degreaser on mine, and scrubbed it off with a toothbrush and that did the trick. just make sure ya lube the chain up good after you clean it!

JOEX
02-01-2002, 08:43 PM
A buddy of mine bought a contraption (from Rocky Mountain I think). It is a small plastic box with a lid and on the inside it has a sprocket and brushes. You fill it with cleaner and attach it to the chain then turn the wheels till the chain is clean.
You can also use it to lube the chain without spraying lube everywhere. It has a small hole to insert the small hose that comes with aerosol cans.
If you attach it properly (and are lazy) you can fire up the motor and slip the clutch to turn the wheels.
It works pretty slick.

Joe

TrengaBlaster3
02-02-2002, 07:40 AM
on my dirtbikes i used to soak the chains in kerosene for a couple days (too lazy to take em out sooner), and i hosed em off when i took them out. they came out lookin brand new and i would just put em on and lube em. however they werent o-ring chains so if you have one i dont think kerosene would treat it very good.

JabberJaw
02-02-2002, 08:07 AM
Will 'Astro-glide' work on the chain?

02-02-2002, 08:20 AM
I'll tell ya what works best, Simple Green. You can get it at wal-mart or any parts store. Just spray on (don't dilute it) and let it sit for about 5-7 min then use a garden hose to wash it off. Most of it will come off the first time another aplication might be nessary. The best thing is, it's safe on the aluminun and rubber. The stuff you buy to degrease cars with is hard on plastics. Plus Simple Green works on everthing else too.:) Give it a try. Just be sure to lube your chain real well after doing this..

Dave400ex
02-02-2002, 08:48 AM
Will PowerWashing a O-Ring Chain mess it up?

02-02-2002, 08:58 AM
I don't recomend power-washing. When ever you have high water pressure like that it can work it's way into places you don't want it. If you do power wash be sure to stay away from anywhere thay has bearings of seals. A good old garden hose and a little simple green goes a long way..

Dave400ex
02-02-2002, 09:07 AM
I don`t really like using the PowerWasher. Ours is 2500 PSI. Very Powerful. It does make the Cleaning a lot faster though. I`ll have to watch the Bearing and Seal places better from now on. That Simple Green stuff is awesome. Where do you Live?

02-02-2002, 09:16 AM
Martinsville, IN ( P.S. don't tell anybody!!!!!!):eek:

Dave400ex
02-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Do you go to Haspin or the Badlands often?

02-02-2002, 09:48 AM
We go to the badland atleast once a month. If not more. Haspin is nice but too many people w/o helmets, drinking,5 year old kids ridding banshee's. WE have been there 3 times. Almost got hit by a rail, way to dusty and way to muddy...

We race Dist 15 hare scrambles and like atica because of the trails in the back we train in. Plus the whoops help us tune our susp. It's hardly ever muddy there either.

We went to the badlands 2 weeks ado on a tuesday, we were the only 6 there. The hole park to ourselves, It was a full throttle day!!!:D :D

Dave400ex
02-02-2002, 12:04 PM
What kind of Shocks do you guys have?

02-02-2002, 08:37 PM
I have works triple/rezz up front and I'm getting ready to send my rear one off to have it done. My friend has works double/rezz and works quadstar rear. Aftermarket susp is the key to being fast in the nasty stuff..

Houser Cannondale
02-02-2002, 09:32 PM
kerosine works good for cleaning the chain gunk off thats what i just did to mine. just get a big coffie or something sutable fill it with kerosine let sit and then scrub it some. doesent hurt o-rings. diesel fuel also works good but wouldnt recommend gasoline. my $.02

02-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Isn't kerosine a mineral based fuel? I know your not suspose to use anything mineral based on rubber because it make it expand. That why your not supose to put rubber parts in a parts cleaning tank because they use mineral spririts. I maybe wrong but thats what my parts tank said on it when I got it.

my 2 cents..

Dave400ex
02-03-2002, 08:52 AM
I think I`m going to get PEP ZPS Shocks. Then I will be able to hit stuff Hard.

My Dad wanted to take off our Chains and Soak them in Kerosine. What should we Soak them in if Kerosine is a Bad idea?

02-03-2002, 09:20 AM
Unless your a pro motocross racer you are going to waste your money on the PEP ZPS. I mean if money isn't a problem then get them. But if your just using them for play ridding and some jumping (doubles ok) then same 400$ and get the works. I have never use mine to the full extent, Even on large doubles. I still think you should try the simple green.... Just leave your chain on and soak it down with it. If you have a o-ring chain Your realy don't want to soak it in kerosine because it will get into the roller pins behind the o-rings and break down the grease in there. You don't want that. You want to keep it in there that's what the o-rings are for!!!! Jsut clean the out side with simple green plus the positive side is if you leave your chain on the simple green will also claen off the other lube left by the chain on the swing arm and front sprocket.

I keep a 40oz bottle of the green stuff in the garage all the time it works great on trucks and boats too....

Dave400ex
02-03-2002, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I`m not real sure on the Shocks yet. I will get the ZPS or Works Fronts.