PDA

View Full Version : help me fast

tumbler440Ex
02-01-2002, 01:07 PM
hi i em wondering how to put the sproket of my cam chain on right it wont start its not in the right spot if somene can tell me asap i be very thanx full :confused:

02-01-2002, 03:25 PM
First of all make sure you have the chain tensioner off of the bike.
Second, rotate the crank to TDC. The "T" mark looking in the top hole of the left crankcase cover. Third, with cam sprocket make sure the out label faces out, place the sprocket in the chain so the marks are level with the head. There are 3 marks on the sprocket, 1 should be pointing up while the other 2 are level with the head. Once you have the piston at TDC and sprocket on with it level, now insert the cam with the lobes down, the holes should line up perfect. Install top bolt w/ lock- tite, rotate crankshaft 180 degrees to install 2nd bolt. use lock tite again, rotate crankshaft 180 degrees and tighten first bolt to something like 20 ft-lbs. Rotate again, tighten second bolt to 20 ft-lbs. Failure to do this will result in big problems. I am speaking from experience. I have the destroyed bolts, sprocket and cam to prove it. Before installing the valve cover fill the valley outside of the cam with oil to ensure the cam has good lubrication for startup. You can install the cam tensioner after you are sure that with the piston at TDC, that the cam sprocket marks are still level with the head when the lobes are down. TAKE YOUR TIME TO INSURE YOU GET THIS RIGHT. Installing the cam tensioner is easier with 2 people unless you make the tool honda desribes.

shamisc
02-03-2002, 08:22 PM
I WOULD INVEST IN A HONDA SERVICE MANUAL ! THIS WILL HELP WITH ALL YOUR PROBLEMS.[COLOR=blue]:cool:

Blysster
02-05-2002, 07:00 AM
Hey tumbler, how is your 440 going?? Let me know how she works.. you'll have to bring it to the races in Grand Falls