PDA

View Full Version : Hatfield McCoy ride report

400ex Magnum
09-22-2003, 07:36 AM
Just posting some comments from our HM ride this past weekend. GhostRyder and Motoman440 joined us on Saturday for a ride. Email or PM me if you are interested in getting any of the pics or video. Hope you guys had fun. Sorry I didn't get to chat with you more. We were a little disorganized on Saturday morning (couldn't have been caused by that Jack and Jaeger that I got into the night before), but I think the ride was worth it.

We rode Rockhouse trails on Thursday. Those were some pretty cool trails. We didn't get to ride trail 31, but some guys rode it on Sunday and said that it was an awesome trail. The trails were in pretty good shape. Some water puddles, but not bad (this was before Isabel rolled through).

We rode Bearwallow on Friday. There was some good sportbike trails there, but by in large, that area is real rocky. We tore up three tires on trail 10 across from RT17 in just one hollow. A steering stabilizer and plenty of tire plugs is required for this area. I probably won't go back to this area. Just too rocky for a sportbike.

We rode the Buffalo Mtn trails on Saturday. They just opened a new section across the street and the trails there were awesome. Some rocky sections, but mostly real fast trails. We had our ride filmed there with a trail guide that uses a helmet cam. Let me know if anyone is interested in ever doing this and I can pass along his info. By in large of the three sections that we rode, I liked Buffalo Mtn the best. Rockhouse was a close second.

Hope you guys get good weather next weekend. We had awesome weather. Isabel blew through Thursday night. On Saturday night, we went to the Extreme Motorsports park in Logan to watch the dirt drags. We even met Rico's ****** (someone please post that pic if you can). She bought us a round of shots after we told her that we recognized her from the picture. Thanks Rico!! Ha.

09-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by 400ex Magnum
We even met Rico's ****** (someone please post that pic if you can). She bought us a round of shots after we told her that we recognized her from the picture. Thanks Rico!! Ha.

:eek:

:mad:

cdalejef
09-22-2003, 07:47 AM
See Rico she loves you so much she'll even take care of your friends!

buckeye400ex
09-22-2003, 07:51 AM
Yep, good ride. Her eyes really lit up when Jenny mentioned Rico's name!! :D It was worth a shot of tequila! We owe ya Rico! ;)

31 on Rockhouse is evidently where a new Suzuki commercial was shot recently. The guy at the trailhead said he was pulling the "professional riders" up back on the trail after a few wrecks too. :eek2: It was awesome, we rode up in to the clouds on that trail too.

Other favorite trails, 93 @ Rockhouse, 34@Buffalo Mtn (awesome views, but a little overgrown with weeds), and 48 (short but sweet)@ Buffalo Mtn.

jcsact
09-22-2003, 09:16 AM
If 31 @ Rockhouse is the switch back that goes up the side of the mountain I loved that trail. We where there in March. Man just thinking about it makes me want to go back. :) We only rode Rockhouse and I really enjoyed it. I would love to check out the other places too.

Doibugu2
09-22-2003, 09:21 AM
oohhh, the memories. Rico, when is the big ride going to be next year? I need to start planning!

Glad you guys had fun, and that place is awesome1

buckeye400ex
09-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by jcsact
If 31 @ Rockhouse is the switch back that goes up the side of the mountain I loved that trail. We where there in March. Man just thinking about it makes me want to go back. :) We only rode Rockhouse and I really enjoyed it. I would love to check out the other places too.

Yeah that's the trail. Can't wait to see the Suzuki commercial. It was wild going up into the fog/cloud too. Sunshine on top of the mountain. :D

Jennys440'Dale
09-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Had a blast at HM!! Other than the rim beatin', tire eatin' trail at Bearwallow. I could do without that place. How in the heck can that place eat up three tires within 15 minutes is beyond me!?

Rico--- thanks for the shot! I think that lady is looking forward to you coming back. She was a pretty nice lady too.

Jeff- are you gonna try the hillclimb shootout on October 11th? Minimum of a $4,000 payout! Before we went to HM, I showed Nick those pics of you going up on your cannondale and Nick was like "oh heck, that's easy", I'll do it!!!!" Needless to say, he didn't even try it! That sucka is steep! If you do it this weekend, take some more pics!!

Taco
09-23-2003, 06:01 AM
I actually like bearwallow:(

Jennys440'Dale
09-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Bearwallow was a nice trail ride, but those rocks ate up my rims and somehow I ended up with three different plugs in once tire. Air just kept coming out. I'd love to go back to HM soon. We all had a great time!

09-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Taco
I actually like bearwallow:(

Me too. Rockhouse is fun for about the first 20 miles then riding thru a lake until ya get to gilbert is for chit. Bearwallow is rocky but alot dryer than most others. Good shocks, 6 ply tires, and beadlock rims make for a much better ride at bearwallow I think..:D

PS.. the faster you go at bearwollow the smoother the ride..:devil:

400ex Magnum
09-23-2003, 07:49 AM
Rico

You guys should head down to the Buffalo Mtn trailhead and ride the new Miller's Creek trail. We rode it on Saturday. Very nice sportbike trail. GhostRyder and Motoman 440 rode it with us. It has some rocky areas, but not real wet. Some very fast sections also.

Doibugu2
09-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Me too. Rockhouse is fun for about the first 20 miles then riding thru a lake until ya get to gilbert is for chit. Bearwallow is rocky but alot dryer than most others. Good shocks, 6 ply tires, and beadlock rims make for a much better ride at bearwallow I think..:D

PS.. the faster you go at bearwollow the smoother the ride..:devil:

Last year it seemed you guys hated bear wallow. Sean and I love that place. Well I do, Sean might not, since he rolled there and lost his arm and blew a tire.

But shocks, good tires, and steering stablizer are a must.

Jennys440'Dale
09-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Yea, a steering stabilizer would almost be a must for that place. Especially on the cannondales. Seemed I had to take the rocks fast and if I did that, I suffered the consequence of having bent rims. Those cannondales (this was my first time trail riding on it) need to be revved high and it can be difficult on those rocky areas.

I think I will be investing in racing rims and some 6 plys! :)

400ex Magnum
09-23-2003, 09:31 AM
My 6 ply's took a beating at Bear wallow. I have several slices and gouges in them. None leaking though. My .190 rims also took a beating. Race rims are a must there. Late in the day there, I was thinking that I would give up the farm for a steering stabalizer. The rocks were about ripping the bars from my hands.

Bear wallow is still way better than anything around my area, just didn't like it as well as the other two areas that we rode. Given limited time, I would spend more time at those two and skip Bearwallow.

buckeye400ex
09-23-2003, 11:49 AM
I checked my quad out, yesterday, not one dinged rim not one cut in any of the tires. XCT's rule baby!! :D Of course I didn't get down there in time to ride Bear Wallow with you guys. I guess the rocks can't cut the tires when they are in the air. :rolleyes: HA!

Yeah Mag, you should get a stabilizer with your noodle arms, you could really use it. I bet Jenny could beat ya in arm wrestling!!

:macho

Jennys440'Dale
09-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by buckeye400ex
I checked my quad out, yesterday, not one dinged rim not one cut in any of the tires. XCT's rule baby!! :D Of course I didn't get down there in time to ride Bear Wallow with you guys. I guess the rocks can't cut the tires when they are in the air. :rolleyes: HA!

Yeah Mag, you should get a stabilizer with your noodle arms, you could really use it. I bet Jenny could beat ya in arm wrestling!!

Buck--Some of us rode most of the day Thursday and all day Friday. :rolleyes:

I don't wanna arm wrestle Jim, he might break another one of my fingers again when I beat him :mad:

09-23-2003, 01:22 PM
well stock cannondale rims suck so they'll get banged up pretty good. Running 6 psi in your tires is a must too,, any less is beggin for a flat..

You guys/girls plan on comin down with us next year for one of the big rides???????????

Jennys440'Dale
09-23-2003, 01:25 PM
So now you tell me about the air pressure, after the rims and tires are done for!! Oh well, new tires and rims for me!

Depends on when it is Rico. Getting married in August and building a house this winter. Money will be tight!!

I wanna see some of the exrider boyz do the hillclimb!

buckeye400ex
09-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Jenny, go ahead rub it in, you got more riding time, too bad you didn't go on Sunday. :grr: That trail 93 was cool coming down!

Rico, I am always up for a Hatfield/McCoy trip. Would love to hook up with the exriders gang. I'll keep an eye out here for details on next years trip.

It was almost as fun watching Nick and Jason climb that hill on foot. Still only went half way up it. Pictures don't do it justice.

400ex Magnum
09-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by buckeye400ex

Bucknut - Remind me to wrap one of those noodles around your neck next time I see you and see if you still want to call them "noodles" Ha. Now go get a haircut, you d@mn hippy!

Jenny - Just remember, we only keep you around because you make us laugh (like this time). For someone with brittle bones that break like twigs, you really shouldn't be challenging anyone to an armwrestling match.

Motoman440
09-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by 400ex Magnum
Bucknut - Remind me to wrap one of those noodles around your neck next time I see you and see if you still want to call them "noodles" Ha. Now go get a haircut, you d@mn hippy!

Jenny - Just remember, we only keep you around because you make us laugh (like this time). For someone with brittle bones that break like twigs, you really shouldn't be challenging anyone to an armwrestling match.

I think Jenny can take ya!!! She sure did ride the he** out of that Dale and that will take some strength!!!:D

400ex Magnum
09-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Motoman440
I think Jenny can take ya!!! She sure did ride the he** out of that Dale and that will take some strength!!!:D

Ouch Dewey!! Just when I was starting to like you! Jenny likes to act tough, but let her see a spider on the trail and then its wimp time again.

trailhouseowner
10-18-2003, 11:59 PM
If any of you are in the area again and need a place to stay, check out Browning Fork Trailhouse. We now have 3 units open that can sleep at least 25 people. In my opinion, Rockhouse/Browning Fork Trail RULES!!