PDA

View Full Version : just put in new hotcams stage 1

brianC400X
09-21-2003, 09:49 PM
I just put in a new hotcams stage 1. I adjusted the vavles to spec. Right of the bat I got alot more vavle train noise. I went for an easy trail ride. Tomorrow I'm readjusting. Any ideas why I got so much more noise and also It vibrated alot more.

stupid driver
09-22-2003, 05:29 AM
its got a higher lift than stock, so its gonna make more noise. All aftermarket cams increase noise and vibration some

cals400ex
09-22-2003, 08:44 AM
my friend put in a stage 1 and he has much more noise than my stage 2. it seems to help when you go tighter than .005 and .006 with the stage 1. my friend made it so that he could barely move the feeler guage when using the .005 and .006. maybe your timing chain is stretched too. also, it could be possible that your timing chain tensioner is bad.

jshtex
09-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Going to tight on your valve clearance is a great way to burn your valves. Something the ex valves seem to be able to do easily anyway. I would make sure they are they way hotcams said and then if they are noisy live with it. Make sure you are setting them correctly if you need help get it.

cals400ex
09-22-2003, 09:04 AM
the only reason i said that is because they say .005 and .006 for both stage 1 and 2. both cams are not the same grind so you would think that both would not get exactly the same valve settings. also, when adjusting the valves on a stock bike, they say to use .004 and .005. many directions i read say to make sure there is slight drag on the feeler guage. the thing is, with slight drag on the feeler guage, i guarantee you can fit the next size in there. this got me wondering how they were suppose to be adjusted. so i went to two local honda atv shops and asked the mechanics at both shops. they said when adjusting valves, it should be hard to move the feeler guage. i did my valves several times when i had my stock cam in and i noticed that my valves were noticable quieter when i went with what the dealers told me(hard to move the feeler guage while between the rocker and subrocker arm.) i also gained top speed this way. i know you might gain power if they are tight, but i leave them adjusted as i previously stated. they are quieter and the bike runs better. if the guage still fits in, it must be close to that clearance. however, you brought up a good point jshtex. mine have been adjusted this way since i since i started adjusting my valves. my bike is over 3 years old and the valves were still good when i put in my cam a couple months ago. this tells me that my clearances have to be close.

jshtex
09-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Cals.... I wasn't trying to slam you guy. I am sure you must be doing it right. I just didn't want him to get the idea that tighter was better. When Thumper racing did our porting they told me that they have to replace valves on almost every 400ex head they get in. I think the exhaust valves are the trouble. They showed me ours and even though we change the oil religously and have kept the valves adjusted they were starting to show some wear.