PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a metal fabricator/machinist here?

Glamis400ex
09-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Just a thought...follow me on this...

The exhaust flanges that are on my DMC headpipes are aluminum. They are bent a little bit and get worse when I need to tighten or remove the pipes. I tried to turn them over and beat on them with a hammer to straighten them out. Does anyone here know if they can be made from stainless or something else to keep them flat and keep a tight seal on the exhaust port?

Anyone ever try to make these? I bet they would be real easy for someone with the right tools.

BTW, why are the made from such soft material??

Glamis

dbsbl1
09-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex

BTW, why are the made from such soft material??

Glamis

Sorry, I can't help you with making the part but....Aluminum is lighter and more corrosion resistant than stainless. It also has better consistency with its physical properties (strength, ductility, etc.) over a wide range of temperatures

Diedrich
09-21-2003, 09:34 PM
yeah i say they would be easy to make..i never had a problem out of my dmc flanges doing that though

Glamis400ex
09-21-2003, 09:38 PM
IF YOU PUT ANY AMOUNT OF TORQUE ON THEM THEY BEND...HPW CAN YOU NOT HAVE THAT ON YOURS....OH CHIT, SORRY FOR THE CAPPS

Glamis

Diedrich
09-21-2003, 09:47 PM
take it off and go to a local machine shop and have em make ya one..shouldn't cost much then u can see if that does any better

Big - D Racing
09-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Glamis,
I have the same problem with my sparks x-6 the only pipe on the mrket that I have seen with extra strong flange bracket is duncan racing's fat boy 4. The good news for you is duncan uses the same doule barrel header as the dmc alien. You can contact them tll themou have the fatboy 4 and somehow lost your bracket. Lenny is really cool and will probably give them to you for free or really cheap. The bad thing for mine is I can't slip mine off the header because it goes 2 into one. I will have to cut mine off and then have someone weld new ones on.

Glamis400ex
09-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys for the info..

Danny, that's a good tip there going to Duncan. I'll call and see what they say.

Glamis