PDA

View Full Version : Street Bike?

TheRedRebel17
09-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Who has a street bike up in here?

Quad18star
09-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Maybe next summer i'll buy a Yamaha R6 . Would be awesome to have one , killer on insurance though.

250x#93
09-21-2003, 07:58 PM
I have a pedal bike i ride around the streets that bout as close as i got for now, but after college i reckon there will be one in my garage:D

250x#93
09-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Maybe next summer i'll buy a Yamaha R6 . Would be awesome to have one , killer on insurance though.

Yeah the insurance really sux on just about everythin:( Drives ya nuts, oh well gotta cya:cool:

TheRedRebel17
09-21-2003, 08:02 PM
insurance does blow..i think im gonna get one in abotu a 1 year:devil:

09-21-2003, 08:26 PM
im prob. gonna get an r6 or cbr1000 (depends on how heavy they are)...whats the insuranc elike o na 16 year old for one of these things a month? i prob. just wont pay the insurance. :(

250exDaniel
09-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Let me just tell you guy that everybody that has a streetbike will crash sooner or later. My older brother bought a brand new 2003 yamaha r6 and crashed it in 5 days. He flipped it. I know a lot of people that have gotten hurt real bad on this crotch rockets. I'm 16 too and am now reconsidering getting one, but down inside I still want one. How can you not want to ride a motorcycle all day long instead of sitting in a car.

derekhonda
09-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Ive Owned 5, not bad for an 18 year old. Insurance does blow, but pay it, its a law for a reason. They are alot of fun as long as you are responsible, if you have doubts about you keeping control of the bike dont ride one.

There are two types of motorcyclists, those who have wrecked, and those that will.

Also, on an insurance tip, if you are young enough, insure it under a parent with a clean driving record. My insurance was like 147 a month with a 500 dollar deductable under me. After 2 months of that bull**** i asked my dad to let me insure it under him, $24 dollars a month was a lot more reasonable.

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/400ex/PIC1998cbr600f3smokeshow.JPG

Adam202
09-21-2003, 09:36 PM
that will be deleted, might as well save the moderators some time........, i hope to own a crotch rocket one day.

Derno24
09-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Got a Suzuki Hayabusa. Insurance can be a bear another trick is to insure it out of your area. I live in Philly, but insure the bike where it is kept at my parents house saves me a ton.

As far as crashing. Take a safety course not only because it is smart to learn on someone elses machine, but you get at least a 10% insurance deduction. I have been riding street bike for 12 years and never dumped it. Knock on wood. I won't say it will never happen, but you can be crazy when it is safe to be.

sly400ex
09-22-2003, 10:52 AM
No flaming here, but I have a Harley and wouldn't have it any other way!:D

derekhonda
09-22-2003, 02:05 PM
I would have a harley too if i wasnt still in highschool, for now, ill own what i can afford.

Derno24
09-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Nothing wrong with Harley's just not fast enough for me. I know that I will eventually want one just not yet. Something about going 150 mph or running the 1/4 mile in 9.5 sec is too appealing to me.

redrider420
09-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Harley's all the way. My uncle just got a 100th anniversary Sportster 1200 and that thing rocks. I just bought his old 82 Honda Magna 750 off of him but someday i'll own a harley. Crotch
rockets are uncomfortable for long distance rides and too dangerous for me.

Derno24
09-22-2003, 07:54 PM
I thought the same thing for long distance rides, now they aren't very long. A normal 2 hour trip takes about half that without even trying. It really isn't that bad.

Any bike is dangerous remeber that. It isn't usually the riders fault it is the people who aren't paying attention to them.

TheRedRebel17
09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Derno24
I thought the same thing for long distance rides, now they aren't very long. A normal 2 hour trip takes about half that without even trying. It really isn't that bad.

Any bike is dangerous remeber that. It isn't usually the riders fault it is the people who aren't paying attention to them.

I want a gixxxer 750:devil:

09-22-2003, 08:47 PM
i want the new cbr1000 or the r1? :(

Derno24
09-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Honda street bike's are way overpriced for what you are getting. The Gsxr's and R1's are a better bike overall. The R1 usually wins bike of the year every year now. I think they are a little expensive too, but not my money. I personally like the R1 or the Honda rc51. I think both are nice. I just like to go fast so the Hayabusa is the way to go.

02Edge/400ex
09-29-2003, 02:39 PM
For those youngsters thinking of buying a bike.......remember one thing while on the road racing around on your shiny new CBR, GSXR, R6 or whatever u buy.....Other people DON"T SEE YOU!!! Trust me. Racing is meant for the track not the street. One of the reasons insurance is so high. Do you really need a CBR 1000 or GSXR 1000 at sixteen? Probably not. Motorcycles are meant to be enjoyed and it is an unbeatable escape when you are out riding. Clears the mind on a nice long cruise. But would u rather enjoy years of riding or spend weeks, months, years recovering from a wreck?? I am a biker myself and love it....I'm not knocking it one bit....all I'm saying is be wise in the choice of bike you buy and be careful on the street because non bikers just don't care and dont look for you.

I'm recovering since June 2 from an accident. I was leaving work on my bike one day when someone decided to not look before backing out of a spot and hit me. As of tomorrow I am going in for surgery # 3 to fix my leg. Nothing else wrong with me or the bike. Imagine that. I will no doubt get back on my bike next year however I will be even more careful than I was before. Enjoy the sport and becarful!!!

Glow Plug
09-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by 02Edge/400ex
For those youngsters thinking of buying a bike.......remember one thing while on the road racing around on your shiny new CBR, GSXR, R6 or whatever u buy.....Other people DON"T SEE YOU!!! Trust me. Racing is meant for the track not the street. One of the reasons insurance is so high. Do you really need a CBR 1000 or GSXR 1000 at sixteen? Probably not. Motorcycles are meant to be enjoyed and it is an unbeatable escape when you are out riding. Clears the mind on a nice long cruise. But would u rather enjoy years of riding or spend weeks, months, years recovering from a wreck?? I am a biker myself and love it....I'm not knocking it one bit....all I'm saying is be wise in the choice of bike you buy and be careful on the street because non bikers just don't care and dont look for you.

I'm recovering since June 2 from an accident. I was leaving work on my bike one day when someone decided to not look before backing out of a spot and hit me. As of tomorrow I am going in for surgery # 3 to fix my leg. Nothing else wrong with me or the bike. Imagine that. I will no doubt get back on my bike next year however I will be even more careful than I was before. Enjoy the sport and becarful!!!

well said, Personally I wouldn't mind a street bike when I can afford it but really in all honesty who really needs 150hp underneath their legs? Not alot of people. It would be really nice if honda sold a crb 400 over here (they do in europe :grr: )

Texan32
09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
something you youngens' are forgetting about. A little pest called INSURANCE! Now. I am 24 and have a squeeky clean record. A year of full coverage on a 600RR is running me 1200 bucks. And that is through a comany that specializes in recreational vehicles. Now you, not being a whole 18 years old think you are going to be able to afford insurance on a 1000:eek: . Let me tell you junior, at that age, you will ge lucky to find liability coverage for less than 200 month. AND, to get liability only, you have to by the bike on a non-collateral (signature/note) loan. That too (without the help of mommy and daddy) will be next to impossible.

I don't want to pi$$ in anyone's Wheaties, but i think you are thinking a little to big here boys. If you want a bike at such a young age, your best bet is to find an older (mid-90's at least) 250 or 500 that is more of a road bike/cruiser (no fearing). You would be VERY surprised how quick those smaller bikes can be. Kinda like dirt bikes. I always thought cr80's were for girls. Ever been on one? The will buck you off 100 times faster than the 400ex ever will. You can bank on that!

Derno24
09-29-2003, 08:09 PM
I agree with alot that has been said, but 24 yr olds calling 18 yr olds youngins is kinda funny. I am 30 and have the money and time to buy a 165 rwhp bike. I enjoy it on the road as much as the drag strip. I just remember where each needs to be.

02Edge: Sorry to hear about your accident you are right sometimes people just don't care to look for us. I stick by what I said earlier a safety course is the way to go. In PA it is free and you get to destroy their bike. A good beginner bike is the suzuki sv650 good torgue not bad looking and plenty to learn on. Hell I know some guys that still ride them.

Insurance rates don't usually drop till after 25yrs of age.

DillonTMNT
09-29-2003, 08:28 PM
I want a Honda 919...I sure do love a naked street bike. Good for long trips or short blasts......

-Dillon

toby400ex
09-29-2003, 09:15 PM
Street bikes are sweet and i hope to have one someday. A friend of my brothers t boned a car on the highway when he must have been 17 at the time. Another time when the car driver wasnt looking where they were going. The car was pulling out of the median and the biker couldnt stop in time. Because of a mistake in the hospital during surgery he doesnt have a left leg below his knee.:(

86350x
09-29-2003, 10:17 PM
68 BSA 650 lightning. I bought it in baycity before it got sold, new my dad would want it. Sold it to him(he's making payments to me) He had one as a kid but had to take it back (the same day) because his dad wouldn't let him keep it.

It is being restored and rebuilt from the ground up. I have pic's if any of the old timers want to see it. It's a beautiful bike. The shifter and brake are on the opposite sides though. I almost ran a city intersection during the test ride. I have all the street legal stuff for my wr 426, just have to put it on and get it inspected. Not gonna do much road riding on it though, just for more trail access. I'm looking for a 441 victor for myself. No luck so far.

Fastest bike I ever rode was a v-max (with cobra pipes), followed by a 96 zx6. Both were way more then fast enough.:eek2:

AndrewRRR
09-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Is insurance really that bad for a bike? I remember my cousin got a RZ350 for a while when he had too many accidents that he couldn't get insured on a car and his insurance was only like $35 a month.
I did a progressive quote and they said $247 a YEAR for me on a 2001 gixxer 750 ($770 a year if it has a turbo or nitrous :macho ). Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Derno24
09-30-2003, 07:24 AM
Depends on your location. I know in philly the rates are outrageous. This is for any rider any sport bike. I have never had an accident and I was quoted in the $3,000 range. Luckily I have another address or I wouldn't own one. I have heard alot of companies don't want to insure bike in major cities. High theft rate and accident rate is the problem. I know just by moving the title to the bike out of the city I pay about $600 for the year now.

Ben
09-30-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm paying about $900 a year for my Hayabusa in WV. I expect the rates to drop when I turn 25 this Feb. though. Derno, I'm buying some Yoshimura boltons asap. They should be a nice addition :D Know anyone selling any perfect used ones? Worth a shot!

JLanphear
09-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Heh heh heh...my buddy has an '01 R6....he's probably ridden it a dozen times or so and probably crashed/laid it down around 20 :p .

Would you believe that his riding skill is WAY above average though (for what he uses it for)....Really.

-Josh

AndrewRRR
09-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I'm paying about $900 a year for my Hayabusa in WV. I expect the rates to drop when I turn 25 this Feb. though. Derno, I'm buying some Yoshimura boltons asap. They should be a nice addition :D Know anyone selling any perfect used ones? Worth a shot!

I will be 27 in about a month, that probably has something to do with my low rates also.

toby400ex
09-30-2003, 04:17 PM
$900 a year on a bike aint chit, im paying $88 a month for just liability on a 1985 4 cylinder nissan truck. What do insurance companies have against 16 year old drivers, lmao:rolleyes:

AndrewRRR
09-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Insurance companies look at numbers and statistics. Younger, inexperienced drivers (as a whole) wreck more. lol.
One of my insurance agents said back in the late 60's they didn't classify different types of cars as different risk, so like a 6 cyl camaro and a Z28 would be considered the same. Then the fast cars like Z28s, Shelby, GTO Judge, Hemi, started getting really popular with young drivers, and they started getting into wrecks a LOT. Since then certain models throw up red flags with insurance companies.