PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best pipe and silencer for a 250r?

250rquadracer
09-21-2003, 07:45 PM
hey i would like to know what use guys think is the best silencer and pipe for a 86 250r?

i heard lrd and paul turner are good

im thinkin about getting a new pipe i have a fatty gold sereies pipe and power core 2 silencer rite now on my 86 250r

my mods on my 250r are in my signature just incase you needed to know

nacs400ex
09-21-2003, 07:50 PM
I have heard the same, but LRD's crack easilY?? Then you have to reweld them and then the chrome will look like chit. I heard the fit, finish, and power of the ESR is excellent. I will be getting either the ESR, LRD or Paul Turner, my team sponsor carries ESR and LRD so I will probably get one of those for sure.

250rquadracer
09-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Does ct make good pipes im thinkin about getting a ct mx pipie (chrome) and silencer.......are ct good pipes?

lil400exman
09-28-2003, 06:23 PM
the old style FMF Fatty pipes actually create more power than the esr trx5 with the same power charstics..............thats what i have and cant wait to really rip on it:macho i searched for the pipe and found it with a sielncer for 125 bucks shipped..............they are good pipes the have no bend the pipes like the new FMFs do;) that bend i heard kills your power along with it not being very wide at the widest point. The best pipe you can get though is a sparks MX or TT pipe and u need a strong port for this pipe to truly shine........its 3 inches wider at its widest point in the pipe than a lrd my old style FMF or a ESR TRX5 but i went with a not a strong port so i opted for a FMF pipe.............:) but a curtis sparks pipe is expensive for a chrome FMF pipe its just 500 buks for the pipe then another 150 i think for the silencer.......its weird how a 2 stroke pipe is harder to make and uses more metal but 4 stroke pipes are more expensive.......

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Look into an ESR pipe, Eddie has been in the 250R bussiness for over 20 years, and he is one of the most dedicated company's to produce R pipes.

Look around the forums and such, and you will be hard pressed to find a single complaint about them.

310Rduner
09-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
the old style FMF Fatty pipes actually create more power than the esr trx5 with the same power charstics..............thats what i have and cant wait to really rip on it:macho i searched for the pipe and found it with a sielncer for 125 bucks shipped..............they are good pipes the have no bend the pipes like the new FMFs do;) that bend i heard kills your power along with it not being very wide at the widest point. The best pipe you can get though is a sparks MX or TT pipe and u need a strong port for this pipe to truly shine........its 3 inches wider at its widest point in the pipe than a lrd my old style FMF or a ESR TRX5 but i went with a not a strong port so i opted for a FMF pipe.............:) but a curtis sparks pipe is expensive for a chrome FMF pipe its just 500 buks for the pipe then another 150 i think for the silencer.......its weird how a 2 stroke pipe is harder to make and uses more metal but 4 stroke pipes are more expensive.......

I would disagree on saying that the FMF is better than the ESR. I think by the same token you say that the Curtis requires a more aggressive port applies to the ESR. Most people I have talked to rank the ESR and curtis pipes as the same quality, and both make some of the best power.

lil400exman
09-28-2003, 07:28 PM
That's true with the new style FMF pipes cause they suck REALLY BAD! I got the old style pipe which they dont make anymore and i talked to few local engine builders and they say that the old stlye FMF Fatty pipe has better power than a ESR trx5;) i dunno though but both pipes look alot alike:)

Narly R
09-28-2003, 08:50 PM
LRD, or ESR!;)

250rquadracer
09-29-2003, 03:37 AM
hey i no all you say esr and lrd are good but i would be making a trade on a pipe a ct mx (chrome) for my tires and rims.......i just want to know if ct is a good pipe ??

09-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Hey Tj, You plagerized me!!:blah:

The old fmf pipe is what esr used to make his trx5, they are very close in design and I bet eddie would say he didnt copy it, but hey, he would also say he didnt copy pro design...But the domes can be interchanged.......

anywhoo

The truth of the matter is you dont need a pipe bro, you need a CARB to wake up that R before you go switchin pipes and wasting money on something that you already have ;)

38 a/s pwk or 39pwk carb is what you need.

The lrd pipe sucks, and ct just plain blows, they have a 45 degree angle on the pipe, which is worse then the smoothed out curve on the new style fmf pipe....

The curtis sparks are the best pipes out there, HANDS DOWN.:macho

like lil400exman said, to take advantage of that pipe you need a port job to match the pipe.

BUt like i said you dont need a pipe, you need a carb!!!

and maybe a fresh set of reeds. or a cr 250 reed cage;)

nacs400ex
09-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Well I thought the LRD was good except for the cracking. But I havent ridden an R with an LRD I cant really talk. Oh well, we will see when the spring comes :blah:

AndrewRRR
09-29-2003, 07:01 PM
I had a LRD and saw no signs of cracking and haven't heard of them cracking before. I suppose if you don't have it secured right or it's rubbing any pipe will crack.
ESR makes good pipes, the TRX5 is a good all around pipe with a ripping top end. CT is pretty good although I don't know if it's better than the FMF you already have. At this point porting will make a much bigger difference than a pipe.
What type of riding do you do?

AndrewRRR
09-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by BeeeRock!
I bet eddie would say he didnt copy it, but hey, he would also say he didnt copy pro design...But the domes can be interchanged.......

Yeah, Porsche copied GM too cuz their cars also run on gasonline! lol ;)

250rquadracer
09-29-2003, 07:33 PM
i ride mx

would a 38 or 39 pwk carb make a big different and if anybody has a good pipie for sale please get a hold of me

AndrewRRR
09-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 250rquadracer
i ride mx

would a 38 or 39 pwk carb make a big different and if anybody has a good pipie for sale please get a hold of me

If you ride MX don't get a big carb that will cost you bottom end. Take that $200 and get a low-mid port job. The ESR TRX6 is a good MX pipe, lots of bottom.

airheadedduner
09-29-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
I had a LRD and saw no signs of cracking and haven't heard of them cracking before. I suppose if you don't have it secured right or it's rubbing any pipe will crack.

I never had a problem either and I broke my fair share of pipe mounts and it still hung in.

If you do a serch some time ago there was a good R pipe thread. Lots of flameing but some good info and dyno charts off the same dyno for several different pipes, all that you mentiond minus the CT. Check out DTR racings web site. I think matt said he was gonna do an updated pipe shootout.

250rquadracer
10-05-2003, 02:50 PM
hey what do you guys think of the curtis sparks pipe??

lil400exman
10-05-2003, 07:40 PM
i ride mx

while at silver-lake dunes i rode a R that had a 38 a/s and it didnt have the bottom end i need for running the tight woods i do. I am look at a team 37 maybe but i will see after some of the new stuff i bought how much money i got left over..............:p

lil400exman
10-05-2003, 07:41 PM
hey what do you guys think of the curtis sparks pipe??
best you can get. But as we said earlier you must have a good port job................;)