PDA

View Full Version : What to get...

Lax
09-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Hey, iam only 14 yrs old. I can get any ATV I want and I dont know what one to get, Its my first time riding. My neighbor thinks he owns the neighborhood and i want to kick his *** in a race. He has a old Piece of *****, its a utility bike. I either have 3 in mind. YFZ450 , TRX450, and or Candaolla. I mean, which one would someone get for just bombing around in trails (I know TRX isnt out but...) No, i wont get killed with anything, My dad use to race MotorCross along time ago so hes all pumped... :confused:

09-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Start out on a smaller machine like a 300EX or something. These machines are for EXPERIENCED riders. Experienced with "sport" and "race" quads that is. If you have any expierence with MX bikes or crotch rockets that may qualify you. Also....you might be too young to ride those depending on the laws of your state.

nismo
09-22-2003, 01:26 PM
save ur self some money and get a trx450r b/c if u get a smaller quad u will just out grow it like i have and wont have enough money for a nice new quad

400Ex_Rida
09-23-2003, 10:13 AM
400 EX. You can get a good deal on them now:devil:

foxhonda_400ex
09-23-2003, 04:49 PM
i would say go with the 400ex, it is alot more user friendly than the others, and i wouldn't trade it for any other quad on the market, and they are going really cheap right now, the money you save, you can spend on parts to set it up the way you want.

Bretmd94
09-24-2003, 07:59 AM
i agree with the 400ex. Right now, and in the future they are getting cheaper and cheaper every day.

quad_quazy
09-24-2003, 09:01 AM
"Hey, iam only 14 yrs old. I can get any ATV I want and I dont know what one to get, Its my first time riding."

what the heck are you guys telling this kid. HE'S 14 AND SAID HE'S NEVER RIDEN. Have you ever heard "Stupid Hurts". You don't start out on something like a 400ex and especially not a 450R. Unless you are 5'8" and over 150 lbs, start small, a blaster would probably be a good start (I know it's a yamie) but they are small framed, light, and have a lot of future potential for faster upgrades. That way he can learn how to control a quad that won't come back to bite him. It would also teach him what it takes to keep one going. If he's hell bent on Honda's (like me) then a 300ex is a good choice and it's easy maintenance and easy to operate. If your a Kawie fan then a Lakota sport is not a bad choice and the only small Suzuki sport quad is the Z-250, also a good choice. If price is an issue than you can pick up blasters for $1500 or even older Honda 200x's for less.

I'm only saying this because I've seen to many people buy big quads for their kids and then their kids get hurt BAD and can't even ride it for months because their in casts. Wouldn't you rather be riding something slow than not riding at all? I work with a guy who had never riden quads and went out and bought a predator. This last weekend after only riding for 2 months he went to a race with me, which I'm all for. I told him not to try and keep up with me and go his own pace. But he tried to keep up anyway, went over a big double and came up short and tilted sideways with his leg down. Well he's sitting in the hospital after breaking his femur (large bone in upper leg). They had to air flight him to Lubbock and do surgery to put pins and screws in his leg. He will be out of riding for 6 months, STUPID HURTS!

Please use your head when offering advise to young guys on here. Telling someone to get something to fast for him will only get lawyers involved and end up getting the sport ripped away from everyone. There are groups out there that want to ban all quads to anyone younger than 16, and not build mini quads. It has taken 15 years for the big companies to get back into racing quads, let's help them stay.

PS I didn't start riding quads until I was 23 and started out on a "cute little" Lakota and grew from there.

426exMx
09-24-2003, 11:27 AM
i totally agree, suggesting someone to get a 450 or 400ex that is just starting out is crazy. myself, i would suggest a 300ex, because they have plenty of power to start with, are easy to learn to ride, are fairly cheap, and are very upgradeable. you can stroke a 300ex and it could out run a stock 400ex. :D

Ryan
09-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Lax
Hey, iam only 14 yrs old. I can get any ATV I want and I dont know what one to get, Its my first time riding. My neighbor thinks he owns the neighborhood and i want to kick his *** in a race. He has a old Piece of *****, its a utility bike. I either have 3 in mind. YFZ450 , TRX450, and or Candaolla. I mean, which one would someone get for just bombing around in trails (I know TRX isnt out but...) No, i wont get killed with anything, My dad use to race MotorCross along time ago so hes all pumped... :confused:

I would go with the Candaolla :confused2 .

a1965gt
09-24-2003, 03:26 PM
If you parents will let you, get the 450R.
Im not going to play daddy and tell you to get somthing slower. Thats what your parents are for. Im sure you will be ok with the 450R or 400EX with proper supervision. If your dad used to race im sure he knows whats going on. Besides, did you guys think maybe dad wants somthing he can ride too??? If your dad is real smart he could adjust the throttle and detune it until you are a little more expirenced.

I was riding a KX125 when I was 14.

09-24-2003, 04:32 PM
I agree....too much machine for him.

As I aready posted above

Originally posted by HRC450R
Start out on a smaller machine like a 300EX or something. These machines are for EXPERIENCED riders. Experienced with "sport" and "race" quads that is. If you have any expierence with MX bikes or crotch rockets that may qualify you. Also....you might be too young to ride those depending on the laws of your state.