PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Ideas

Crazy4bluEx
09-21-2003, 07:31 PM
I drive a 2002 mustang Gt, right now it only has a k&n filter, my birthday is coming up and i am wondering what type of things i should get with my $? also what should i ask for? and what should i spend the money from my 400ex on? it already has a system and everything, im thinking cosmetic or engine... airbags 2 come after body and engine.... thanks

ps- i am looking for things like what brand of exhaust, not just "exhaust" and because " i said "... thanks again

250x#93
09-21-2003, 07:38 PM
For exaust i'd go wit Flowmaster they sound great, or maybe somethin like borla or ravin they both sound prettty good and look mean, go wit some mean lookin body kits too;) Or maybe put a turbo or a supercharger on:eek2: That be awesome too, and it would scare the **** outta other cars:D

TRX250X
09-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Go with flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust. That's what everyone uses on them, but that's because they sound good for a good price. Put an X-pipe underneath it to, to replace the H-pipe. Get bbk or mac cold air intake, and 75mm throttle body. BBK pulley's are also nice. Next you'll want a B&M or PRO 5.0 Shifter if it's a manual. A shift kit if it's an auto. Put some MAC white face gauges in it, and some billett aluminum accessories inside, and you're all set. This might be a little much for a b-day present, but you can get an idea of what you might want to do to start with. When you get more money saved up drop an ATI procharger in the thing.

Crazy4bluEx
09-21-2003, 10:48 PM
^ thanks! you helped alot, im not getting all this for my b-day, im selling the 400 to build my car up..... so... i wont be "broke" so flowmaster is really the best bet? bassani x pipe? thanks for all the help so far guys...

danney f
09-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Deffenatly Flowmasters, I know a guy that had a complete Bola system(over $800) Didn't care for it to much so he switch to a complete Flowmaster system for about half the price of the Borla and he knocked off about 4 tenths of his time.

AiredOutEx
09-22-2003, 12:03 AM
K first of all I'm sorry you have a mustang! j/k;) Second of all body kits are for Hondas. Go fast is always better than look good (unless its a self esteem problem ) . I dont mean drive a rusty pile of crap, but you know...... Get a turbo KIT! I put a twin INCON turbo kit on my stang (the twin kit origionally for the vette , had bigger turbos!) with a borla H pipe exaust, K&N and some computer chit............whooeeeee! 11.8's on pump gas and a blown rear end with replacement tires every 3500 miles!:blah: Mustangs tend to fall apart though. But I didnt help but notice you said you were getting rid of your 400 to help finance your car project. Where are your priorities man......??:mad: It was fun for a while then the motor blew and I cried , then I bought a quad and Im happy again , but it ran for 2 1/2 years for me....good luck with it.

P.S.- Never ever give up the quad.............:cuss:

Crazy4bluEx
09-22-2003, 12:24 AM
my mustang is already fast enough for me, but i wouldnt MIND it being faster :devil: :blah: as for giving up the 400? i dont want to but i dont have any means of transporting it, and they shut our riding area's down around here. I dont have the time to travel and ride every weekend, so i figured id make a bad arse stang 2 ease my pain :eek: :huh :D

ewalker302
09-22-2003, 12:56 AM
1'st intake-- either get a k&n underhood open air filter or a cold air kit (more expensive), draws intake air from fenderwell instead of hot eng comp.
colder air=denser air=more o2 in the charge.

Do one or the other for sure, but there is a debate on whether or not the cold air kit really helps any on a pretty stock engine??? I got 1 but I like the big chrome pipe in my e compartment.

2'nd get a offroad pipe system "trash the cats"---(offroad pipe---cat back[Flowmaster] system)
The pipes are threaded for your o2 sensors, you will see, it's best 2 replace em (like $50 each).
I still got my stock ones in there (stupid). But it wont make that big a deal.

I got a mac's offroad pipe which is stock style H-pipe. But if I had to do it again I would get a bassani or some other crossover or X pipe, word on the street is the X pipe is better.

If U got a Auto trans--make the offroad pipes' are 1'st on the list, those cats are hugged up to the trans, & make way too much heat afer a lot of miles & hot days u will have auto trans probs unless you trash the cats.

Don't worry about the smog pump bypass--not worth it.

Cats w/o smog pump = Problems (stopped up)
Smog pump w/o cats = good to go, get rid of it if u want but drag is very minimal.

Stock headers are good 4 now U wont get anything out of em untill u get into the eng.

Underdrive pulleys will give u a noticable differerence, but if u got a system skip on the alt pulley & if u run the air too skip it alltogether.

3'rd get your timing dead on, this is prob most important.

Enough, I could go on all night.

These guys will help u out much more than I can.......

http://www.corral.net/main.html

http://www.mustangworks.com/

They both got good forums & helpful guys..

F=first----fastest
O=on
R=race
D=day

F=for
O=off
R=road
D=Domination

C=carb
H=hesitates
E=every
V=valve
R=rattles
O=oil
L=leaks
E=every
T=time

Ha Ha Ha

Camaros & Firebirds R.I.P.

SS=Super Slow

Ford's could win the nascar chamionship in Nov if Kenseth took the rest of the season off.

Also Jr., Gordon, Johnson, & do I have to say it (Mikey) are Gay

Eat me ------- Ford rules nascar this year

Oh yeah I better shut up----Jr. is going for his 5'th consecutive at Talladega this weekend.:cuss:

Think Im gonna climb the fence & whip his sorry *** if he wins next sunday.

Is this off subject???

Sorry it's late & I'm drunk

5000G
:bandit:

L.Vegas400
09-22-2003, 10:41 AM
like ^ said, cold air intake, underdrives arent worth it, imo.

GOMER007
09-22-2003, 10:52 AM
shut up your fords arent nutten that good I would go buy a chevy but in your case get some nice rims and tires:blah:

Crazy4bluEx
09-23-2003, 07:09 PM
well, i have enjoyed reading all these ideas, but this project will be "put off" for awhile. I went to wallmart the other night, and when i came out some Piece of ****, had used my rear bumper as a "stopping" cushion. So i bought a new bumper from a "mustang" salvage yard out in california, my brother used 2 know him or something.. it set me back $250 but still.... thats alot of money. but i think my plans are.....

bumper fixed

bassani X pipe without cats
flowmaster exhaust
cold air fenderwell kit *to the throttle body*

it should sound REALLY good, but im not sure...
any suggestions on headers? i figure while im doing it i should do it all.... thanks

Juggalo
09-23-2003, 07:22 PM
my friend had the spintech offroad exhaust on his 5.0. it ended halfway under the car and no cats or anything. it was by far THE BEST sounding car i have ever heard. loud but clean and nice. sounded supercharged almost. i dunno if they make it for the newer stangs but i would think they do. it'll probably almost sound as good on the 4.6 as it did on the 302. trust me on this one.

Matt Fisher
09-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Should you choose to go catless, you'll need mil eliminators, otherwise your check engine light will come on and the computer will retard your timing (less performance). Standard stuff on OBD II cars.

A friend of mine is the manager of Flowmaster's R&D dept and has tested virtually every brand of muffler on the dyno. At the HP level you'll be at, there will be virtually no power difference between one and the other. Pick out one that sounds good to you and enjoy.

Be careful with underdrive pulleys on the 4.6 motors, don't cheap out. The balancer is part of the bottom pulley, and any misalignment can cause all kinds of issues. Also, Ford has instructed many service mangers to keep an eye out for this, and to deny motor warranty coverage.

For the most part, a cold air induction works well.

If you're going to look into forced induction (blower, turbo, N2O), be forewarned the modular motors have a tendency to grenade at the drop of a hat. Also, the block on 99 and 2000 GT's was much stronger than the 2001+ models, so there's another limit too.

You may want to look into a good set of subframe connectors for about $100. It stiffens the chassis, helps in accidents (been there, wrecked that). My personal choice is by Griggs Racing.

Do understand, Ford will happily give you the 6 foot shaft on warranty work if at all possible. Whether it's modified parts, or just rubber in the wheelwells (burnouts), there are lots of guys that have been hosed.

Honestly, play in the dirt. Your Mustang will take a large value hit next year anyway when the all-new Mustang debuts.

250x#93
09-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Matt Fisher
Should you choose to go catless, you'll need mil eliminators, otherwise your check engine light will come on and the computer will retard your timing (less performance). Standard stuff on OBD II cars.

A friend of mine is the manager of Flowmaster's R&D dept and has tested virtually every brand of muffler on the dyno. At the HP level you'll be at, there will be virtually no power difference between one and the other. Pick out one that sounds good to you and enjoy.

Be careful with underdrive pulleys on the 4.6 motors, don't cheap out. The balancer is part of the bottom pulley, and any misalignment can cause all kinds of issues. Also, Ford has instructed many service mangers to keep an eye out for this, and to deny motor warranty coverage.

For the most part, a cold air induction works well.

If you're going to look into forced induction (blower, turbo, N2O), be forewarned the modular motors have a tendency to grenade at the drop of a hat. Also, the block on 99 and 2000 GT's was much stronger than the 2001+ models, so there's another limit too.

You may want to look into a good set of subframe connectors for about $100. It stiffens the chassis, helps in accidents (been there, wrecked that). My personal choice is by Griggs Racing.

Do understand, Ford will happily give you the 6 foot shaft on warranty work if at all possible. Whether it's modified parts, or just rubber in the wheelwells (burnouts), there are lots of guys that have been hosed.

Honestly, play in the dirt. Your Mustang will take a large value hit next year anyway when the all-new Mustang debuts.

Hmmm sounds like some pretty good and reliable information:cool:

JustRace
09-25-2003, 07:20 AM
One thing to also consider is just working on your suspension, if you can't get the power to the ground your not gonna go anywhere. I beat a slighly modded Mustang GT (I would say 95 and I think the guy said it had steeda suspension, some exhaust and not sure on intake) with my bone stock 85 Z28 with 99,000 miles on it and a bad valve seal.

I like munstangs there cool. For the times at the track that I raced the mustang I ran a 15.272 at 89mph while he ran 15.273 at 90mph. :eek2:

Crazy4bluEx
09-25-2003, 02:32 PM
lol my car will run WAY faster than a 15 right now, most toyota celica's around here will run 14.5's i believe... wow that guy must have a ****TY car or not be able 2 drive... or both...but i agree with your theory 2 a point

James70214
09-25-2003, 07:45 PM
14.5 for a celica is BS unless it has a decent amount of work done to it.

Crazy4bluEx
09-25-2003, 08:17 PM
i figured those guys were bs'ing.... but you'd be surprised at how fast a celica actually is i rode in one "gt" it was actually impressive..... jmo im not sure what it would run in a 1/4 though.

crazybuffalo
09-25-2003, 08:42 PM
id go with the exaust first.i would do 2 1/2 inch hooker headers, flowmaster 3 inch pipes with NOT FLOWMASTER but thrush glasspack mufflers.they are alot cheeper and are completely empty as i recall. the old ones are better than the new ones.after exaust id say put a 250 fogger nos system.

JustRace
09-26-2003, 08:58 AM
I don't think your mustang as of right now would hit a low 14 sorry. With only 260hp stock, I would say you would be around a 14.6 in the 1/4mile. You should take it to a drag strip you will have a blast. Then you will also gain some respect for a real sports car, the fbody. lol jk :macho

Also like mentioned before, without your car being significantly built up you won't notice a huge difference with just the muffler. So now you should just look around for some sound clips and just decide which one you like the best. Also SLP is now making parts for the mustang so that is something to consider.

MojaveKing
09-26-2003, 04:14 PM
yea for my car i would like a Mustang......what u got for a System in it???
i will have 1 of the best systems around here when i get it

Crazy4bluEx
09-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Mojave king-

Premier 750 series- mp3/wma player - organic screen
Kicker kdx 600.1- class d amp
2 kicker solobarric L5 squares 12 inch
box built 2 secifications
box ported

lets just say the sound =
:eek2: ;)

justrace- i have NO idea what my car will run stock, i just know the "celicas" around here supposedly run 14's and i kill them bad, we race in an empty abandoned parking lot at 12-1 in the morning, safety is a big issue i assure you :blah: but seriously, im not one 2 run stop light 2 stop light, we have a few abandoned roads around here that are 3-4 miles long and straight, with corn on both sides.... we run those in the summertime.

MojaveKing
09-27-2003, 09:42 PM
cool man!!! yea...Kicker subs are the BEST!!!:eek:
i am gettin Kicker for Sure!!!!!!!!!!