PDA

View Full Version : snakes

Pappy
09-21-2003, 07:14 PM
well, i spent all day saturday at the new house....painting...cleaning...mowing. all was going great til i ran up on a big ol' copperhead in the back yard:ermm:

pappy 1 snakes 0

i hate these damn things. other then cutting the grass and keeping brush down ...is there anything else to do to keep these things outta the area?

and yes...im the type of person that swerves into oncoming traffic to hit a snake with my truck:scary:

TheRedRebel17
09-21-2003, 07:17 PM
I forget what its called its something like sulfur or something..spread that around your yard..got a ton 2 years ago started using that and no snakes:bandit: :bandit:

Wait till you see a watter moccasin..then you will really crap your pants:confused2

Castor-426ex
09-21-2003, 07:19 PM
first set up a perimeter defense in your yard

use all guns

use mice as bait

wear ear plugs

have fun!

lil400exman
09-21-2003, 07:20 PM
pappy garter snakes are swesome we had a problem with mice thne we bought a few released em in tha barn at our land and u know what? no more mice poop over our tables! not all snakes are bad but copperheads:ermm: u know what to do but not all snakes are bad pappy...........:)

400exstunta
09-21-2003, 07:27 PM
mixture of moth balls and sulfur. try searching google.com for how to get rid of snakes or something. should be able to find a good recipe.

ewalker302
09-21-2003, 07:28 PM
The only thing I have seen that may help, I found out by accident this spring. My pops had some of that netting you put on your fruit trees, blueberry's, etc... to keep birds out.

The stuff eventually wound up tangled up in a ball in a corner of the yard-field.

We found 5 snakes dead in there. ???? they get tangled up in it & are stuck tight --- real tight. I hate snakes as much as the next guy, but i still hate to see anything suffer, so I bashed it's head between two bricks to go ahead & kill it. As I was trying to pull it out of the net, I pulled it in two. They get stuck in there real good. If you could figure out how to bait em, or just throw a few balls of the stuff around & see what happens??

But non poisionous snakes I leave alone, or catch & scare people with.

Still the best prank ever--the old grass snake in the toolbox.

:bandit:

Guy400
09-21-2003, 07:30 PM
You'll probably never get rid of them totally from your property. Keeping things mowed will certainly help because there won't be anywhere for them to hide. Avoid leaving things lay in the yard for a long period of time. My cousin's in North Carolina had a barn that collapsed and it had old tin roofing on it. It had been laying there all summer so we grab a shotgun and flip the first piece of roofing over....there must've been 50 snakes in that pile of building.

Your best defense--12 gauge shotgun sawed off at your state's legal minimum:p

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p8136bea4f81d31c83efb3242df5b5bd2/fb5b180e.jpg

flyin#5
09-21-2003, 07:36 PM
snakes run over by lawnmower=fun:D

Pappy
09-21-2003, 07:40 PM
well ...as far as mice and snakes....

i kill snakes..and mice thats what rat or mice poison is for. i have absolutely no use for a snake.

i carry a 357...the first round is snake shot...ive killeed many over the years while hunting.

the thing i dont want is one of my kids getting nailed....and there are rattlers around also.

can anyone get me a hook up on a napalm run:(

400exrules
09-21-2003, 07:52 PM
roost em with the quad...........poor race gas all over the yard and light it.........buy some kind of snake eating beast to roam the yard..........or just invest in some snake boots and pants for you and the family :confused:

wyndzer
09-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Dr T's Snake Away it's sold at Lowe's. Doesn't work too well though.

Pappy
09-21-2003, 07:53 PM
i thought about turning 2 pigs loose

400exrules
09-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i thought about turning 2 pigs loose

do pigs kill snakes :confused:

Pappy
09-21-2003, 07:58 PM
when i was a kid...the pigs on our farm would kill and eat any snake they found....i assume they would do the same if i turned a few out. not too mention they would clean up some of the brush

400exstunta
09-21-2003, 07:59 PM
sure do, as well as chickens.

250x#93
09-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Yeah my mom hates snakes to and most of them here arn't bad, Shes crazy she hates em but she will chop em up wit a shovel if she sees one, one time we were drivin up our drive way and she thought a stick was a snake we backed up and she held her to the floor and tried to do a burnout on the snake haha, then she did it three more times to make sure its dead and then finally i got threw to her i'm like mom its a god damn stick!!!!!!!!!!:eek2: haha i don't think i ever laughed so hard

Pvt. Maggot
09-21-2003, 10:42 PM
if you want napalm you could always make your own....get some gas...and put some styrafoam(sp?) in it...and mix it up untill you get a syrupish texture...lay it around and light...will burn for a very long time...:)

anywhereEx
09-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Pelitized lime burnes their stomach. Go ahead and take care of your yard an them at the same time. put a second spread around the edges of the yard and any buildings 1 week later. That is what we do back home and never see any.

FourFiftyFour
09-21-2003, 11:50 PM
well, i spent all day saturday at the new house....painting...cleaning...mowing. all was going great til i ran up on a big ol' copperhead in the back yard:ermm:

pappy 1 snakes 0

i hate these damn things. other then cutting the grass and keeping brush down ...is there anything else to do to keep these things outta the area?

and yes...im the type of person that swerves into oncoming traffic to hit a snake with my truck:scary:

theres these weird birds called ghineas that kill snakes.... but my biggest fear in the world is snakes.....and we have some huge poisionous ones all up in this area :uhoh:

ewalker302
09-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Why not get a couple of mongooses (rikki tikki tavvi) remember??

Or maybe buy some hawks or eagles.

For real, I've heard those plastic ows u get at the feed store will keep snakes out of an area???

Just some sugg.
:bandit:

stupid driver
09-22-2003, 05:42 AM
get an ole' milker cow :rolleyes: .

snakes have a natural fear of cattle, and they tend to stay away from them

Taco
09-22-2003, 06:03 AM
I hope you kill em all Pappy:mad:

p@iNn3ck
09-22-2003, 06:11 AM
Ok, this may be a banch of you-know-what, but my grandpa always kept snakes outta his garden by putting rough rope down around it (he said they wont slither over it), and pouring tobacco juice around it (said it works great for bugs too).

Rip_Tear
09-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Get a few mongoose, they will kill snakes (well I think thats their name...) Making sure there is no sand is also a good idea, anything that gets real warm for them to lay in get rid of.

YLW400
09-22-2003, 10:08 AM
I have never seen a rattler around that area if that makes you feel better.....But you still do have the GD Copperheads...I have seen Rattlers over in Grant COunty though..I don't think they are around Berkeley County....

blondie69
09-22-2003, 01:29 PM
I would say get a Jack Russel Terrier dog, cuz their bred to kill mice, rats, snakes and stuff like that...but your dealin with a copperhead snake...probably would kill the poor lil dog in a second:(

Pappy
09-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
I have never seen a rattler around that area if that makes you feel better.....But you still do have the GD Copperheads...I have seen Rattlers over in Grant COunty though..I don't think they are around Berkeley County....

my brother catches them on them samr road i live on:(

the gunie hens are a great idea...same with the lime and the fake owl...thanks:D

DEAL
09-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Get the Mongoose pappy.
Those mofos are crazy.

09-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Taco
I hope you kill em all Pappy:mad:

yea, let god sort em out:macho

batgeek
09-22-2003, 10:04 PM
rattler is some gooooood eatin!!!

Chef
09-22-2003, 10:15 PM
You know, brake cleaner fixes everything.:cool:

VIC
09-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by p@iNn3ck
Ok, this may be a banch of you-know-what, but my grandpa always kept snakes outta his garden by putting rough rope down around it (he said they wont slither over it), and pouring tobacco juice around it (said it works great for bugs too).
I've heard of this rope thing also laying it around the perimeter. But I don't see how it would work, seems too easy.

RuffRyder400ex
09-23-2003, 07:18 AM
i odnt mind snakes. i have a pet king snake. one time when i was landscapin i saw a garter snake so i pulled out the weed wacker and cut that sucker up.:macho :devil:

jcsact
09-23-2003, 10:11 AM
the gunie hens are a great idea...same with the lime and the fake owl...thanks:D

gunie hens also make for a good watch dog. My Aunt had them when I was little and you could never get close to the house with out them damn thing making one heck of a racket. And at night they will scare the crap out of you too.:eek:

YLW400
09-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Thats weird, almost 20 years there and I never saw one :confused:

Pappy
09-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
Thats weird, almost 20 years there and I never saw one :confused:
about 2 years ago...we saw a guy catch one that was crossing the road....rt 7 near tomahawk. it was about 3 feet long:p

YLW400
09-23-2003, 11:05 AM
The only thing I would of caught was that SOB under my tire!! lol To come to think of it, I have heard about them being at Sleepy Creek...Do you know where that is? Kinda near there...The terrain is different in say Hedgesville compared to Inwood or Vanville......

Pappy
09-23-2003, 11:39 AM
my new place is on the martinsburg side of sleepy creek...and about 1 mile west of the "woods" resort.

we was ridin to town...and passed 8 or 9 quads on the road....on the way home...and 20 miles later we passed them again. i love the place already:cool:

saturday afternoon i took a break and was chillin on a big ol' chair on the carport....the only sound to be heard was the healthy grunt of a few quads on the tower lines:D

YLW400
09-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Welcome to my neck of the woods :cool:

Or "ex" neck of the woods..lol

Tommy 17
09-23-2003, 01:12 PM
pappy i can't wait to come down and ride!!!

YLW400
09-23-2003, 02:55 PM
I'll have to tell you and Tommy the next time I am coming down that way, so we can hook up and ride over at Tomahawk!

Tommy 17
09-23-2003, 03:29 PM
just tell me when:macho

Chino
09-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Pappy welcome to the state!! Can't wait to meet up and ride. Up here in Preston County, there are alot of snakes, the same place we hunt, there are two guys that hunt rattlers and copperheads on the powerlines, i've never seen anything around the house but garters and blacksnakes. Watch the ol lab dont get hooked up by one of them snakes or he will be a goner :(

nuclearkielbasa
09-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Someone else mentioned, and I think I've heard it before........ sprinkle some mothballs around the yard and see if that helps. I know they do a good job at keeping ground moles out, and they're cheap enough.

Quad18star
09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
I worked at a Science Center . Like someone said before sulphur will help the problem as will mothballs . Snakes are very sensitive to substances like these . Call your local evironmental group or agency and see what they recommend . Might want to be careful with Copperheads , fairly dangerous snake .

Pappy
04-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Snake run in ROUND2:mad:

Yesterday i worked up the garden and decided to put in a food plot for my deer. So i picked out an area about 75 yards from the garden( and also very close to where I killed the rattler that started off this thread back in september) Anyway, our track cuts this field in half and I never gave snakes a thought since we had been mowing and riding so much.

So off i go with my garden tiller in to waist high, but very sparse grass and proceed to chop up the ground. I went back there this morning with the kids and we planted rye and clover. So this afternon the wife gave me chit about mowing the rest of the tall grass, which i did. After she returned from work and after dinner we all (kids..wife..dogs) walk down to see what all i had done.

We took about 2 steps into the food plot when i spotted the snake. Just a small part as the rest was buried under the dirt. I HAD CHOPPED UP A BIG *** COPPERHEAD WITH THE TILLER!!:grr:

I figure this hillside is perfect for them being it recieves a ton of sunshine and up till yesterday had plenty of cover for them.

Anything new on the snake front or do I just continue stepping on poisinous snakes:(

roostin_dale
04-09-2004, 07:16 PM
man im scared as hell of snakes...one of the guys i work for had me come over and kill some in his yard the other day...

He gave me a Machetti(sp?) and told me to get them out of his yard...i hate snakes with passion

good luck gettin rid of them Pappy

Ralph
04-09-2004, 07:19 PM
i dont think a fake owl would work cause snakes have more thermal vision(right?) so a plastic owl wont affect it

Berry
04-09-2004, 08:47 PM
i was throwing rocks in the creek the other day and i pick up a large stone and i feel somthing weird, i look down and its a baby water moccasion. holy crap i about sh#T my pants!

RobbRacer
04-09-2004, 10:22 PM
back in missouri we use to have problems with rattlers, moccasins(sp?), and copperheads. but when we got my dog the just all went away and never had a problem with them again. i say let the dogs and pigs have ago at them and see what the hell happens just dont let the little on get out there hes to small.

Ralph
04-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by RobbRacer
back in missouri we use to have problems with rattlers, moccasins(sp?), and copperheads. but when we got my dog the just all went away and never had a problem with them again. i say let the dogs and pigs have ago at them and see what the hell happens just dont let the little on get out there hes to small.

screw that, dont risk ur dog, maybe pigs but not the dog, i would say try the rope and the lime, the rope actualy makes alot of sense too...

RobbRacer
04-09-2004, 11:00 PM
if your dog is smart then they will know how to defend themselves
and not do something that will get them hurt remember they are labs and those dogs arent dumb

batgeek
04-09-2004, 11:12 PM
its not that fact that the dogs get them...them snakes don't like to hang around or hunt where there is any large animal activity.

they will avoid places that the dog likes to hang out.

now moccasins...thats the only NA poisonous snake that scares the sheesh outta me. all other snakes will run away if you give em a chance...i've had a moccasin chase me before. made my sphincter tingle!

JD400exrider
04-10-2004, 12:14 AM
A rattler will take your dog down. Just saw one on the news tonight that got bit here. The dog made it but it was not pretty. The lab was jacked up. $$$ vet bills.

I was told when we take our horses out on trail rides to carry a short piece of PVC pipe. Horses tend to bend down to take a look and get bit in the nose area. Swelling happens quick. Stick the small pipe in the nose of the horse so they can continue to breathe. I don't no how true it is and i don't want to find out either.

Pappy there is a guy in my area that makes a good living as a rattle snake trapper. He will come out to your property and catch them and take them away. I would look into some tall snake boots and a snake stick. (long stick with a nuse on the end of it.) Pick them up around the neck from a distance. Then kill the *******. May need to make the rounds around the property a few times a month.

I can deal with just about any creature but a snake is one that I would rather see DEAD

cheetah
04-10-2004, 08:13 AM
I am like a little girl around snakes. We had bagged up aluminum cans along the backside of the garage last year for recycling. These trash bags full of cans sit there for nearly a year. My dad finally told me to go get them and load them up. When I picked the first one up there was a rattler under it. Scared the chit out of me it was the first time I had ever seen a real rattler. I know they exist around here, but you just never see them.

2001400ex
04-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
if you want napalm you could always make your own....get some gas...and put some styrafoam(sp?) in it...and mix it up untill you get a syrupish texture...lay it around and light...will burn for a very long time...:)

Isn't home-made napalm extremely bad for your health? I think I heard it causes cancer too. I don't know if that is true though...

Chlorine bombs smell nasty as hell. You could try that but I don't know how long it lasts...my friends and I have made a million. You take some rubbing alcohol, and pool chlorine, put it inside of a 2litre soda bottle shake it up throw it and sit back and watch.

greghall
04-10-2004, 09:23 AM
MOst of the people I know cannot identifiy a snake from a venomous or non-venomous,most everybody can tell a rattle snake from other snakes,but when I hear most people in the north say they seen a water moccasan its most likley a common water snake the same snake is also confused with the copper head,I say leave them alone & they will leave you alone,rattlers are protected in Maryland so its illeagal to kill them also they are getting wiped out in other states because people dont understand them.If you have a proplem with venmous snakes call the DNR or somebody to remove them to a safe location conservation is better than destruction.Also I not a tree hugger by no means I just like snakes & all reptiles always had them for pets & collected them.

Ralph
04-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by greghall
MOst of the people I know cannot identifiy a snake from a venomous or non-venomous,most everybody can tell a rattle snake from other snakes,but when I hear most people in the north say they seen a water moccasan its most likley a common water snake the same snake is also confused with the copper head,I say leave them alone & they will leave you alone,rattlers are protected in Maryland so its illeagal to kill them also they are getting wiped out in other states because people dont understand them.If you have a proplem with venmous snakes call the DNR or somebody to remove them to a safe location conservation is better than destruction.Also I not a tree hugger by no means I just like snakes & all reptiles always had them for pets & collected them.

if ur in danger u can kill it,

greghall
04-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
if ur in danger u can kill it, You are only in danger if you pick it up or step on or near it.Look at all the snake bites that occur they happen mostly when somebody's trying to kill the snake or capture it ,they can still invenomate after death so just leave it alone & dont pick it up,even after you kill it.

Ralph
04-10-2004, 01:22 PM
k well if i lift a rock on my property, or a kids toy, and this agressive snake is getting into a position where it can strike at be im not gonna leve that snake there, some kids dont know what to do or how they should react. I would get away and have it removed or kill it, i realy wouldnt care

HayWire
04-11-2004, 08:45 PM
hahahaha great reading , Come on down to my neck of the woods and deal with our snakes and spiders if I tiger tags you your dead in 20 mins if you dont get antivenom ,If a Taipan tags you consider it over ...Some of the ideas sound really good I'll have to give them a go ... We use a length of fencing wire say 5 or 6 feet long whip the snake across the body near the head ,It breaks there necks ...

When I was a kid a crazy friend of mine used to hunt snakes for fun ,He came around my home with a school bag in it was a 6 foot long tiger snake which he'd caught some time through the day , It was all fun and games till he let it out in the yard ...

Tigers when pi$$ed off bark like a dog and spray venom like a cobra that $hit can kill ya just by landing on your bare skin ...

Armed with only a tent pole my carzy friend who was the only one laughing at this stage speared it to death ...
Needless to say idiot 1 snake 0 ...

My best defence is run run like theres no tomorrow dont look back just keep on running ......

TCracin440ex
04-11-2004, 11:39 PM
dude...i hate snakes too....i had a pit bull back in the day his name was outlaw...he hated snakes also....he would go "snake hunting" he would find them in the woods...pick them up and shake the hell outta them...because if you watch any pit soon as they put something in their mouth they shake the shyt outta it...well i guess shakin the shyt outta them would snap their neck or something....he was the best dog i have ever owned....i miss him...some inconsiderate prick swerved off the road just to hit my dog...and i didnt find out what had happend to him untill like 2 year ago when my mom told me....they had told me all my life that he ran away

Pappy
04-12-2004, 06:13 AM
I dont care if they are protected or not. If i see them I will kill them. And im not in maryland, and there aint no tree huggers near me no how.

I have been steadily clearing the land to take away the habitat for the snakes, so hopefully this will help.

I carry a 357 with snake shot in the first 2 rounds then my standard 125 hollow points. The neighbors all feel the same way as I do so no problem letting loose if need be:macho