PDA

View Full Version : My Spark Arrestor

2001400ex
09-21-2003, 05:58 PM
I know there's been topics about this before but I'm really not sure what to do, and don't feel like reading those topics, because some of the things I've read don't even seem to make sense. Today I took of my spark arrestor, to clean it off, and I started my 400EX without the spark arrestor, I have a few questions about it and hopefully you guys can answer.

1) It's not harmful to run my quad without the spark arrestor right?
2) It won't change my backpressure or anything?
3) The main purpose of the spark arrestor is so that I will not shoot out any sparks causing a fire? I'm not sure?
4) How can I keep the way my exhaust sounds without the spark arrestor if I put the end cap back on?

I saw some posts about cutting peices of the spark arrestor off/shaving it, but I didn't really understand it, I'm just doing this for now because I'm broke and can't afford a Yoshi pipe :o

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

09-21-2003, 06:18 PM
i had mine off for like 20 hours of riding and it didnt hurt anything...i know taking it off took away a little bit of power & mad eit sound really nasty. as for shaving it & stuf???why? buy another exhaust. :blah:

trailburner
09-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Answer for #1 No it will not hurt it
#2 yes
#3 Yes because of fires & "sound levels" [gota love the DNR]
#4 You can't.....
When I put on my pipe & jet kit my mechanic said that the motor would run better if I let the exhaust blow straight out the pipe so I took my arrestor out..........don't know if it's true or not but mine runs great!!

2001400ex
09-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks! So with that difference in back pressure it won't hurt my engine? Will I have to rejet or anything?

and Crazy400EXMan I can't, I'm broke!

JOEX
09-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
I know there's been topics about this before but I'm really not sure what to do, and don't feel like reading those topics, because some of the things I've read don't even seem to make sense. Today I took of my spark arrestor, to clean it off, and I started my 400EX without the spark arrestor, I have a few questions about it and hopefully you guys can answer.

1) It's not harmful to run my quad without the spark arrestor right?
2) It won't change my backpressure or anything?
3) The main purpose of the spark arrestor is so that I will not shoot out any sparks causing a fire? I'm not sure?
4) How can I keep the way my exhaust sounds without the spark arrestor if I put the end cap back on?

I saw some posts about cutting peices of the spark arrestor off/shaving it, but I didn't really understand it, I'm just doing this for now because I'm broke and can't afford a Yoshi pipe :o

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
My perspective/understanding/opinions....

#1. With proper jetting it is not harmful.
#2. Yes, it will change the back pressure.
#3. Yes. Is the risk of starting a fire worth the risk of closing down riding areas?
#4. Do you like the sound of a loud exhaust? Most people, anti-atv'ers, environmentalists and the general public do not. IMO the minimal power gains are not worth the chance of closed riding areas.

Joe

silverbullet300
09-21-2003, 07:33 PM
go with the HMF, u will like the power gain with it and u cant beat it fo the price. i believe u u can get them in stainless or chrome im not for sure on that, but like i said u cant beat it for the price, its alot cheaper than a yoshi, dont get me wrong yoshis are good pipes and look good but i think the price is a little out of porportion.

2001400ex
09-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
My perspective/understanding/opinions....

#1. With proper jetting it is not harmful.
#2. Yes, it will change the back pressure.
#3. Yes. Is the risk of starting a fire worth the risk of closing down riding areas?
#4. Do you like the sound of a loud exhaust? Most people, anti-atv'ers, environmentalists and the general public do not. IMO the minimal power gains are not worth the chance of closed riding areas.

Joe

I hear ya...I'm thinking about it, it's not set in stone. I'm just taking it all in.:)

silverbullet300
09-21-2003, 07:39 PM
if u get the HMF make sure u do what the website tells u to do on the jetting and everthing but u will tell a big difference heres the website u can get prices and specs www.hmfengineering.com

2001400ex
09-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Ok, thanks silverbullet.:cool: