PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket and stud dilema...(long)

Glamis400ex
09-20-2003, 07:15 PM
I have a dilema about my current head gasket/stud set-up. I am posting this here because I repect many peoples knowledge on this site. There are tons of folks here who know alot more than I do...hang on, here goes...:ermm:

I recently did a 416, hotcam, and porting I replaced the studs with new OEM. I used a Cometic Flexsteel gasket, but, I used copper sealant on it....I wasn't supposed to.:(

So, while in the process of adding my new Jegs oil cooler, I decided to check the exhaust stud, since the valve cover was off. (that's the one that gives you the most trouble) It was loose. I re-torqed to 34 ft/lbs. It came loose because the copper sealant had oozed out and created more space for me to torque the nut. I also noticed a few drops of what looked to be oil, so I think it's already leaking or getting ready to. It's not alot, but I believe it's oil.

Now, here's where the dilema comes in...I talked to someone at FDO Racing and told him what I just described here. He advised me highly not to run the quad due to the fact that I only re-torqued 1 head stud, not the rest...thus creating an un-even mating surface and I could possibly warp the head. Not what I wanted to hear.

So here are my choices...
1) just ride it and if it blows, fix it
2)tear down and re-place with fresh gasket
3)tear down and install FDO HD stud kit for $100 and new gasket

Another thing is, I only have like 4 hours on the re-build, if I tear down to replace the gasket, are the OEM studs already shot? If that's the case, I think I have my answer...
:(

Anyone with knowledge and experience I would like to here your thoughts....WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

Glamis

jerry-89-250R
09-20-2003, 07:40 PM
if it were mine i would choose#2, as the saying goes pay me now or pay me later, but it's your 4-wheeler

lil400exman
09-20-2003, 07:48 PM
number 3 cause in the long run that will be the most durable etup you can be down 2 weeks off-season but be down 2 motnths in prime season i think i know what i will choose!;)

drummer-on-a-EX
09-21-2003, 05:06 AM
I just did option 3, my thinking is I don't want to be at the bottom of some bowl 5 miles from camp and have to rely on a banshee to get me back because I have a blown head gasket.
Good luck,

Drummer

09-21-2003, 07:25 AM
for me it would be no question choice 3.

Glamis400ex
09-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input. I figured option 3 would be the most popular. I think I knew it in my head what I should do all along. Well, crap, I guess I better get started.

Drummer on an EX, thats kinda how I started to look at it. We ride the same area's and you know as well as I do in some of those huge bowls, only a Grizzly 4x4 is gonna pull you out.

Glamis

Glamis400ex
09-21-2003, 02:13 PM
UPDATE:

For anyone that cares, I pulled it apart down to the piston and sure as chit, I had oil between the gasket and mating surface. So, what I was seeing was copper sealant mixed with oil oozing out the front fin. There was only a trace, but it was there.

I don't trust the OEM studs anymore, they are probably shot and stretched already.

I talked with my uncle yesterday who has rode/raced cycles as long as I've been alive even daid the OEM Honda studs have always been crap, even on the old Elsinores.

I am sorta torn between letting Sparks do the fix...ie: tapping a larger exhaust stud only for like $40 or having like FDO do all of them for $100...I guess at this point the $60 is minimal.

Glamis