PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise while turning sharp at slow speed

EXtreme
09-20-2003, 06:03 PM
I have a 03 400 EX its about 8 or 9 months old now and for a while I've noticed that when trail riding and I make a sharp turn and gas it a little it makes a knocking sound untill I straighten back out then it seems to go away. Oh yeah I was out today riding and it also does it if i do small circles at low but steddy rpm Please help! :confused:

silverbullet300
09-20-2003, 07:06 PM
is the sound coming from the back and if so,i would check my rear bearings and swingarm pivot bolt and check ur axle locknut to see if it is loose, check rear hubs.lug nuts etc. it could possibly be front wheel bearings, just trying to help

09-21-2003, 07:30 AM
put the quad on a stand and wiggle the axle, tires, check the chain, axle locknut and all bolts. Most likely you need a new bearing carrier.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Sounds like the carrier bearings. Better check that out before it ruins the carrier:(

EXtreme
09-21-2003, 05:07 PM
I hate to sound dumb but.............
what's the carrier bearing and how do I check it

JOEX
09-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by EXtreme
I hate to sound dumb but.............
what's the carrier bearing and how do I check it
It is the aluminum part inside of the swing arm that the axle goes through.

I find it kind of odd that the bearings would go out on such a new quad unless it has been ridden in some severe conditions. Make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight including lug nuts.

Do what the others said, put the rear on a stand of some sort (milk crate, cooler, spare tire) Make sure only the skid plate is on the stand then start wiggling things. Do the same on the front.

Joe

09-21-2003, 06:21 PM
mine made the same noise & i thought it was the hub cause it was really loose on the left rear side...tightened it up & it still does it...now I think its the chain b/c the chain has over 3000 miles on it & it keps coming loose cause i think its stretched...but my friend said it might be my bearings in my carrier? sound right?:huh

JOEX
09-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
mine made the same noise & i thought it was the hub cause it was really loose on the left rear side...tightened it up & it still does it...now I think its the chain b/c the chain has over 3000 miles on it & it keps coming loose cause i think its stretched...but my friend said it might be my bearings in my carrier? sound right?:huh
You really should replace the chain before it breaks. Replace the sprockets too.
The carrier might be slipping too. Next time you tighten the chain put a mark on the carrier and a mark on the swing arm so they match up. Ride it for awhile, until the chain needs tightening again. Check to see if the marks are still lined up. If they are it's the chain, if not the carrier is slipping.

Joe

09-22-2003, 02:20 PM
could be a-arm bushings. Mine are wore out and make a knocking noise when turning..:cool:

09-22-2003, 05:43 PM
thanks joe..ill try that out

AAAirbooorn
09-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Check the tightness of the wheel nuts and the hubs. my 03 had a loose hub in the rear.

EXtreme
09-22-2003, 09:37 PM
I think its fixed.. :D chain was very loose. I thighned it and that seemed to help we'll find out for sure next time I go and ride

drip
09-23-2003, 04:03 PM
I think its fixed.. :D chain was very loose. I thighned it and that seemed to help we'll find out for sure next time I go and ride
The noise you were hearing was your chain slapping off of your skid plate.

UglyMotha™
09-23-2003, 05:20 PM
at low but steddy rpm Please help! :confused:

the knock your hearing is coming from the motor not your suspension the ex will make a chatterin sound in the motor if you lug it real low i'm not sure what's actually knocking i think it is the clutch chattering, actually i'm pretty sure it's the clutch a car will do the same then if you lug it to low in the r's next time your out riding and do that same corner let the clutch slip a little and keep your r's up or try a lower gear and i bet that you won't hear that sound

EXtreme
09-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
the knock your hearing is coming from the motor not your suspension the ex will make a chatterin sound in the motor if you lug it real low i'm not sure what's actually knocking i think it is the clutch chattering, actually i'm pretty sure it's the clutch a car will do the same then if you lug it to low in the r's next time your out riding and do that same corner let the clutch slip a little and keep your r's up or try a lower gear and i bet that you won't hear that sound

I try that thanks!

wilkin250r
09-24-2003, 03:07 PM
I had the same problem on my old Honda, and it turned out to be the CV joint in the passenger side.

The 400EX uses the same setup as the Accord, right? :D