PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning K&N air filter

EXtreme
09-20-2003, 05:49 PM
How do you clean these? Just wash in water or what? Do they have to be oiled afterwards. I also have K&N pre-charger just wash it too?:confused:

lil400exman
09-20-2003, 07:52 PM
nope there website ahs all instructions and eveything u need to clean them with DO NOT I REAPEAT DO NOT wash them with water cause that will break down the fibers horribly.........usr the k&n gazue filter cleaner;)

trailburner
09-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Yea you have to buy the re-charger kit..:( there only like $10..

JOEX
09-20-2003, 09:09 PM
Any good detergent will work and water will not hurt it. Just rinse it from the inside so the water will flush the dirt out, not into the filter.

This is what is printed on the label of the K&N air filter oil can about cleaning the filter:

Lightly brush off surface dirt with a soft bristle brush. Spray on K&N Cleaner (or ant good detergent soap) let filter soak for 10 minutes. Reverse flush with plain water. Shake off excess water and allow filter to dry naturally. Re-oil with K&N Air Filter Oil. DO NOT CLEAN with GAS, SOLVENTS, STEAM, or CAUSTIC (LYE) CLEANERS. DONOT USE HIGH PRESSURE AIR TO CLEAN or DRY FILTER.

Joe

Flip)(stick
09-21-2003, 11:41 AM
pour gas over it, cleans it right off:)

lil400exman
09-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Flip)(stick
pour gas over it, cleans it right off:)
WTF is wrong with you? gas is the worst thing to use on any filter not made for gas to clean it it eats and deteroiates the foam particles so if u want your engine to turn to crap use gas to clean the filter or be smart and take mine and joex advice and clean it peoplerly!:grr: :mad: :confused2

zfire_28
09-23-2003, 01:54 AM
the same filter cleaner you use for a stock filter will break down the oil on a K&N. then just rinse it off, let her dry, then apply FIBER filter oil.

mr.tijuana
09-23-2003, 03:20 PM
it is worth the few bucks just to buy the K&N cleaner and oil. then you know you've done it right!

zfire_28
09-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by mr.tijuana
it is worth the few bucks just to buy the K&N cleaner and oil. then you know you've done it right!

I've used the same K&N filter for the past 3 years and never used K&N brand cleaner or oil, with 0 problemos.........although you can't go wrong with the real K&N stuff :)

ride300exrider
09-27-2003, 08:12 PM
u use a k+n spary on cleaner then u was out from the inside in your sink. let sit dry, then oil with k+n filter oil.

AtvMxRider
09-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
nope there website ahs all instructions and eveything u need to clean them with DO NOT I REAPEAT DO NOT wash them with water cause that will break down the fibers horribly.........usr the k&n gazue filter cleaner;)

You are suppposed to wash the cleaner off with water.

coryatver
09-29-2003, 09:29 AM
You have to buy some of there cleaner to get the old oil and dirt out then put on this thin sticky red oil.