PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

DEAL
09-20-2003, 01:47 PM
I took the springs off my elkas today to clean them and with the springs off I can compress the shock all the way by pushing it against the floor, it still rebounds fine.
But should it be able to do this or is there something wrong.

lil400exman
09-20-2003, 08:51 PM
i think it depends on what setting ur rebound is at man............:confused: does it have rebound adjust? if so check into that........

DEAL
09-20-2003, 10:31 PM
Nope.

lil400exman
09-20-2003, 10:43 PM
hmmm thats weird that the rebound is set from the factory that high w/o a spring.....:ermm: well a blown shock either is really soft to compress and wont come back out at all or it locks up after the 1st inch of movement.........:confused:

Rip_Tear
09-21-2003, 01:37 PM
It sounds alright, your only compressing 1 shock, with out spings. The shocks are ment to work together, and the springs provide most of the "force" the makes them harder to compress. I may be wrong, you could be low on oil/gas, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Fleshwound
09-21-2003, 02:09 PM
its totally normal!

DEAL
09-21-2003, 02:49 PM
thats good to hear , less money spent the better haha.

Texan32
09-21-2003, 07:35 PM
the internal settings of the shock (comression/rebound) only assist in controling the rate at which the SPRINGS compress or extend. It allows the spring action to be either fast or slow...depending on how you set it. With the springs off, you should be able to compress the shock with your hands. There should be enough preasure to make the shaft extend back out though. Those shocks should have about 170 psi. of compressed nitrogen. If you are afraid that it might be low, check your local service center. They should have nitrogen to check the charge for you.

wilkin250r
09-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, or maybe I'm the only one that DOES understand... :confused:

The if you compress a shock all the way (with springs ON) and then let go, the springs fight the rebound adjustment valving.

If you remove the springs, and compress the shock, then the rebound valving SHOULD make the shock rebound really slowly (because it doesn't have the springs pushing it), but he's saying that it still rebounds just fine.

Shouldn't it rebound really slow?

Rip_Tear
09-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, or maybe I'm the only one that DOES understand... :confused:

The if you compress a shock all the way (with springs ON) and then let go, the springs fight the rebound adjustment valving.

If you remove the springs, and compress the shock, then the rebound valving SHOULD make the shock rebound really slowly (because it doesn't have the springs pushing it), but he's saying that it still rebounds just fine.

Shouldn't it rebound really slow?

You've got it! :D Thats exactly what we are talking about ;)

Colby@C&DRacing
09-22-2003, 05:07 PM
that is completely normal for you to be able to compress the shock without the springs on it:)

Woodsrider
09-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Texan32
the internal settings of the shock (comression/rebound) only assist in controling the rate at which the SPRINGS compress or extend. It allows the spring action to be either fast or slow...depending on how you set it. With the springs off, you should be able to compress the shock with your hands. There should be enough preasure to make the shaft extend back out though. Those shocks should have about 170 psi. of compressed nitrogen. If you are afraid that it might be low, check your local service center. They should have nitrogen to check the charge for you.

Thanks texan32, you saved me a bunch of typing:D I couldn't have said it better myself;)

Texan32
09-23-2003, 06:48 PM
no prob.