PDA

View Full Version : yamaha verses the honda

yfzrider6
09-20-2003, 08:24 AM
i have a yfz 450 and i love it i almost was possitive that honda would come out with something just as good or better. im really dissapointed, i dont see anyway the honda is going to keep up with the yamaha

AlaskaSpeed
09-20-2003, 08:34 AM
:huh

jmoney45
09-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Keep up with where? In a long straight? Maybe not. Around a track? Probably so. Remember that the 250r was not the fastest or most powerful two stroker back in the day but it always won on race day. It still does today. It was the complete package and that's what honda focuses on. I rode a yfz and it's an awesome quad but i bet the honda will be just as awesome, if not better.

trueblue450
09-20-2003, 09:39 AM
got any pics of your quad alaska.. it looks like youre coming along way with it@@!!!

Chef
09-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider6
i have a yfz 450 and i love it i almost was possitive that honda would come out with something just as good or better. im really dissapointed, i dont see anyway the honda is going to keep up with the yamaha

I dont see anyone who cares.:huh

AlaskaSpeed
09-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by trueblue450
got any pics of your quad alaska.. it looks like youre coming along way with it@@!!!

Hey,
I just put on my PRM chassis and swingarm skids, waiting to install my a-arms until my brakelines show up...axle should be here shortly....PEP zps shocks ordered....here is most recent pic from last weekend.......JIM

http://home.gci.net/~jbfrench/PICT0824.JPG

AlaskaSpeed
09-20-2003, 10:40 AM
http://home.gci.net/~jbfrench/PICT0820.JPG

AlaskaSpeed
09-20-2003, 10:41 AM
http://home.gci.net/~jbfrench/PICT0832.JPG

09-20-2003, 11:15 AM
That's a mighty nice setup you got there buddy....

I don't see how people can be disappointed in the new R when it hasn't even been out and tested yet.

So what....you can drop your electric start (which by the way is JUNK) and lose like 7 pounds. Then lets see how hard she starts then. The Honda 450 is much easier starting than the Yamaha 450's anyday....and THAT my friend....is a PROVEN FACT. Don't be surprised if the 450R beats the YFZ on the dyno too. :macho

Total package counts man....TOTAL PACKAGE.

You WON'T be hearing about tranny problems (YFZCENTRAL) and frame problems (Z400CENTRAL) on the HONDA. :macho

09-20-2003, 04:47 PM
I guess your dissapointed because your just dumb?

Let me tell ya, the trx motor is completely different then the crf motor, so comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges

Guy400
09-20-2003, 05:07 PM
i have a yfz 450 and i love it i almost was possitive that honda would come out with something just as good or better. im really dissapointed, i dont see anyway the honda is going to keep up with the yamaha Do you have any facts to support this claim of not being able to keep up or are you having buyer's remorse with your YFZ and feeling a little insecure? Grow up, dude. We have plenty of mature YFZ owners here that ride their quad's because they're comfortable with their purchase and don't feel the need to bash. I'm quadless right now awaiting some realworld data on the TRX. I could very easily be riding a YFZ next spring if the Honda doesn't seem to be what I was looking for and the YFZ proves to be reliable.

Punk'd
09-20-2003, 10:39 PM
dude i love ur tires and ur quad LOL

AlaskaSpeed
09-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by BeeeRock!
I guess your dissapointed because your just dumb?

Let me tell ya, the trx motor is completely different then the crf motor, so comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges

Ahhh....so nice to see the technical insight back from BWR......

AlaskaSpeed
09-21-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by HRC450R

I don't see how people can be disappointed in the new R when it hasn't even been out and tested yet.

So what....you can drop your electric start (which by the way is JUNK) and lose like 7 pounds. Then lets see how hard she starts then. The Honda 450 is much easier starting than the Yamaha 450's anyday....and THAT my friend....is a PROVEN FACT. Don't be surprised if the 450R beats the YFZ on the dyno too. :macho

You WON'T be hearing about tranny problems (YFZCENTRAL) and frame problems (Z400CENTRAL) on the HONDA. :macho

Not that I agree with this thread at all, but these comments are along the same factual vacuum lines as well. How about all of us quad riders strip off all the emblems/decals and get back to the fact that we are all in the same sport because we love it.....:o I doubt any of the big four are going to read these posts and give you guys kickbacks for bashing the other brands........:rolleyes:

trx440
09-21-2003, 05:19 PM
I won't be happy till I have one of each.

missindavey
09-21-2003, 09:22 PM
Well You better check your swingarm on your yfz. My friend has had his for about 2 months and he already has a cracked swingarm. I havent seen it yet but he told me it was up front and on the side. Sounds like the first year Rapter to me. Already problems.

09-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Ahhh....so nice to see the technical insight back from BWR......

want some cheese to go with your whine?:rolleyes:

trx440
09-21-2003, 11:02 PM
What's BWR?

Do you guys like each other? Why not?

Alaska,
Any plans or ideas on how to clean up the appearance of the front end now that the lights have been removed? Could a set of aluminum shrouds be installed if the plastic was trimmed? I bet a vented cover could be installed where the cut-out for the lights is. Just some thoughts. Definitely not raggin' on ya cuz that's where part of my bonus check is going this year.

Back to the subject:

I bet there are more 2004 450R's at Glamis in the year 2020 than 2004 YFZ's. You got to keep Honda's reputation for building long lasting ATV's in mind when purchasing, especially if you go to the track very little and now spend most of your time in the sand.

trueblue450
09-22-2003, 12:00 PM
nice quad alaska http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

cant wait to see the finished product!

BigAl
09-22-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm in the same boat as you are GUY, it sure is hard to make a decision, with all the kids whining.

09-22-2003, 03:27 PM
I agree....when it comes down to it, we'll see which has more motor and all of that. As for now....ANYBODY sayin' the YFZ is faster is talkin' through thier a-holes. Because we simply just don't know. And we DO know YFZ's have had thier problems too.

I like them both a lot. I'd like to see the TRX whoop it...if it don't, then and ONLY then can we say. I'll have my time on one, and I sure as hell will be tracking down my buddy with his YFZ. Then we'll switch machines and see what happens after a few races.

Tommy 17
09-22-2003, 04:19 PM
jim i have a ? for u about the yfz...

i know urs don't have the cam upgrade (1 more tooth) but have u rode a friends bike or another bike at the track with the cam mod??? i want to hear from some riders who have seat time on both set ups... my friends with yfzs wanna start gettin info on motor mods...

how do u like the sparks pipe??? did u try it with the stk pea shooter exhaust tip out b4 u put on the pipe and was it a major differnce between the 2???

AlaskaSpeed
09-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by missindavey
Well You better check your swingarm on your yfz. My friend has had his for about 2 months and he already has a cracked swingarm. I havent seen it yet but he told me it was up front and on the side. Sounds like the first year Rapter to me. Already problems.

Yeah...since we KNOW how reliable Honda makes swingarms....:rolleyes: 400ex's have had more swingarms break or crack than you know, so let's not go there. Besides, if the stock swingarm breaks; what a great excuse to get an aftermarket trick one. No need to be brand loyal, all quads have their problems; more so if you race them.

TRX440....I plan on seeing what comes out for shrouds, plastics, etc to clean up the front end....I don't care for the stock shrouds with the cut front fenders; just haven't figured out what I want to do.........JIM

AlaskaSpeed
09-22-2003, 04:25 PM
http://home.gci.net/~jbfrench/PICT0851.JPG

updated pic with AC bumper........:D

AlaskaSpeed
09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
jim i have a ? for u about the yfz...

i know urs don't have the cam upgrade (1 more tooth) but have u rode a friends bike or another bike at the track with the cam mod??? i want to hear from some riders who have seat time on both set ups... my friends with yfzs wanna start gettin info on motor mods...

how do u like the sparks pipe??? did u try it with the stk pea shooter exhaust tip out b4 u put on the pipe and was it a major differnce between the 2???

Tommy,
I did run the quad first stock as it came off the showroom floor, then removed the pea shooter....big difference. I had a couple races on the quad with just the pea shooter removed, and the Sparks pipe DID make a big difference....feel alot more torque. It seemed to make the most difference in the mid to top end.

2 other guys I race with that have YFZ's have done the cam mod and say it made more difference than adding the exhaust. One guy still runs stock exhaust with the cam mod and the other is running a GYTR slip on with the cam mod. They run pretty close, I haven't ridden either quad....not sure how they compare to mine now with just carb jetting/needle and Sparks pipe.......JIM

trueblue450
09-24-2003, 09:40 AM
night and day diff with the cam mod.. its like running a 400ex vs a 416

Wolf 66
09-26-2003, 12:06 AM
Let me ask the Alaskan dude, how well made are those burgurd A arms, do you think they are better than Lonestar? Whats the price diffrence, can you email me at timberwolf394@yahoo.com. I am ready to get the axle from lonestar but am in the air about wich A arms. I will be running the stock shocks, and changing the A arms axle, and probally the exhaust on my YFZ Any input you can give me would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Punk'd
09-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
http://home.gci.net/~jbfrench/PICT0851.JPG

updated pic with AC bumper........:D

u r the luckyest person ever dude~!!!!!!! im so jelious~!!

EAsTcOunTYprIdE
09-28-2003, 04:29 PM
I went out to ocitillo today and rode a yzf with gytr slip on and it was dyno tunned and that thing is alot of fun.Its unbeliveable how responsive the bike is. I felt comfortable enough to jump a 45 footer on the second time on the bike. As for honda VS yamaha i think the yzf will come out on top with power becuase the crf450 motors are pretty maxed out and the yfz450 still has a couple horses on it. I cant wait to ride the honda and battle the two through some washes. BOTH COMPANIES MAKE GREAT BIKES but if i had to put my money on one id go with yamaha even though i have never owned anything but a honda.

Woody_YFZ
10-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by HRC450R

I'm curious where the proof is of the CRF starting easier than the YZF. I have ridden both and they were equally as easy to start. The 426's, well that's another story. Besides my YFZ starts really easy. You just push the button.

Woody_YFZ
10-03-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by trx440
I won't be happy till I have one of each.

I could certainly live with that.

trx440
10-03-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ
I could certainly live with that.

I certainly could'nt live WITHOUT that [or them].:D

Woody_YFZ
10-03-2003, 12:49 AM
But then what would we argue about?? They would just both be awesome.

raptor_02
10-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Hey man I have a couple of ?'s for ya. I noticed that you also have a cannondale in your picture. How does the YFZ compare to a dale in bone stock trim in a straight up drag race?? Also after putting a pipe, jetkit, etc. on your YFZ, how much did that change the results in a drag race. I know drag racing isn't important but something called power is. I raced a stock 400ex with handleing mods and was always worried about trying new doubles because I was worried that I wouldn't have enough power to get over it. I'm just curious of how much power the YFZ has and if I will have enough spunk to start trying bigger jumps. Also if you have any stories about holeshoting Raptors, DS's, Predators or maybe some CRF or YZF custom quads I'd really be interested to hear about how the YFZ stacked up against them. Thanks

AlaskaSpeed
10-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
Hey man I have a couple of ?'s for ya. I noticed that you also have a cannondale in your picture. How does the YFZ compare to a dale in bone stock trim in a straight up drag race?? Also after putting a pipe, jetkit, etc. on your YFZ, how much did that change the results in a drag race. I know drag racing isn't important but something called power is. I raced a stock 400ex with handleing mods and was always worried about trying new doubles because I was worried that I wouldn't have enough power to get over it. I'm just curious of how much power the YFZ has and if I will have enough spunk to start trying bigger jumps. Also if you have any stories about holeshoting Raptors, DS's, Predators or maybe some CRF or YZF custom quads I'd really be interested to hear about how the YFZ stacked up against them. Thanks

stock for stock....I would say the YFZ and Cannondale are pretty close; if not even. I raced a 80lb lighter rider than me; him on my old Cannondale with HMF full system/Moto-Speed mapping....YFZ with Sparks system/no lid on airbox/rejetting....We did numerous drags and I pulled him each time. This was from off the line all the way to mid 5th gear. The YFZ is just plain scary-fast. We were racing on a hardpack dirt road.

As for jumps....I haven't found a track yet that I have been on that has jumps that the YFZ can't handle. 3rd gear is probably the most common gear for me to make about every double or table I have done. Some have more lip than others, so might be top of 3rd; middle of 3rd on some...maybe even bottom of 4th at the most.........JIM

raptor_02
10-06-2003, 12:52 PM
thanks for the info. One more question, how does the stock suspension do??? I had a 400ex with Elkas on the front and I had a stock rear shock. How do you think the YFZ setup will compare to the setup I had on my EX with the ELKAS in the front and a stock rear?

Honda_Racer_78
10-20-2003, 01:12 PM
I own a 400EX and love honda. But if I had to choose between riding a 450R or the YFZ in a drag race, I would go with the YFZ, at this point. But That's just with the info I have heard. The 450R could come out and overpower the YFZ, no one knows for sure.
But If I was to buy either the 450R or the YFZ I would go with the 450R. I'm sure its an ALL AROUND better quad, and is probably more reliable. I've owned yamahas in the past and they break down non stop! My 400EX has been flawless. But Everyone has had their own experience's with different brands.
The 450R and YFZ shoot out will be great like in the dirt wheels mag. But I heard some people say the magazines are biased, and are payed off or something. Is this true? I think they just test them and write what they experience, but I don't know.

Evan
10-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Exactly-stock for stock-nearly any yamaha is faster than the honda in the same class-but who do you think sells more? If you said yamaha youve been hiding under a rock for the last 15 years or so. Also a general rule of thumb-you see more hondas at the track-usally about 1 out of 10 quads at the track are yamaha-whereas at the dunes-generally more yamahas. History has shown that hondas are reliable-and will be around for a long time-heck-how many 87-88 banshees or any old yamaha do you see around? not very many if any at all....honda on the other hand-everywhere you turn.

trx440
10-21-2003, 09:24 PM
I'm not so sure there are more Yamahas at the dunes than Hondas.