PDA

View Full Version : studding tires for ice

exrider123
09-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Im gonna stud a pair of rear tires for the ice and winters coming so i gotta couple questions about studding tires i found studs cheap at james lucky atv. What is the difference between 1/2 studs and 5/8 studs, wat is the best way to put studs in, and wat are the best tires to put studs in.

RIjon
09-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by exrider123
What is the difference between 1/2 studs and 5/8 studs,

Abo0t 1/8" :p

bleupoud
09-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Depending on witch tire and tire wear you have to figure out. Longuer they are longuer they gonna stay on. My sugestion for cheap and good tire to put is turf tammer beacause they have a lot of stud. Put a lot of sreew to do a tire. 400x2 rear 250x2 front

exrider123
09-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by bleupoud
Depending on witch tire and tire wear you have to figure out. Longuer they are longuer they gonna stay on. My sugestion for cheap and good tire to put is turf tammer beacause they have a lot of stud. Put a lot of sreew to do a tire. 400x2 rear 250x2 front

thanks bleupoud.

Rip_Tear
09-20-2003, 05:53 PM
tamers wont do well in the snow though. If your riding though the snow you wont get much traction with tamers imo. I would get utility tires and stud them, they are pretty tuff and have more space between lugs.

Good luck

nacs400ex
09-20-2003, 06:50 PM
I would find a tire that has a hard compound so the stud wont pull out. Turf tamers will pack up with snow too easily, same with the actual ice racing tires. I would find a tire that is good in snow to start with then add studs. But if you are going onto ice and only ice go with some chen shing ice racing tires.

lil400exman
09-20-2003, 07:26 PM
i have heard uhhh recreation unlimited (ppl in dirtwheels) ice racing tires are the best from a few reliable sources around here and he says he uses sheet metal screws instead of ice studs cause they are cheaper and actually get better traction with the screw threads he says. he threads them in and then he lines the whole tire with silicone so he has more are for selaing..

nacs400ex
09-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah but I assume he will be riding on snow too. Snow + ice racing tires pack up very bad. You wont get much traction, and studs are useless in snow anyways. You would want paddles for snow. Ice you want studs.

exrider123
09-20-2003, 08:04 PM
thanks everybody. I would be going on snow and ice. Ive been looking at maxxis 4-snow tires and they sound pretty good anybody have any experience with these tires.

bleupoud
09-20-2003, 08:31 PM
yes . I rode ohstu proedge tire and it's praticly the same. They are the only good tire for medium or deep snow. My brother have an 300ex with 4-snow and he is able to follow us at pretty good speed. Here in canada we only using these because with the other one we only get stuck. they grip great even on ice but you will not be able to stud them they have no knob at all. Turf tamer will do good but only on flat ice.

skemp
09-21-2003, 02:35 AM
I use the Chen Shing tires with carbide ice screws for racing in the winter. The hookup is awesome but I don't really ride in snow, just basically ice. Razr's work well in the snow with ice screws.

wilkin250r
09-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Snow and ice require different types of tires, so you really need to figure out which is more important. It's like the difference between loose sand and hard-pack dirt.

Loose snow and powder require deep treads that are far apart, almost like paddles. If the tread spacing is too close, they will pack up.

Ice requires the opposite. Small, hard studs that are closely spaced.

I think the only thing you can do is to really analyze your riding terrain, and ask which is most important, traction in loose snow, or traction on ice. Too much in one area will sacrifice the other.

foxhonda_400ex
09-23-2003, 04:02 PM
i have always had good luck with realtors in snow, but they are far spaced treads, so they wouldn't hook up as well on the ice as the others. you can go to your hardware store and get hex head sheet metal screws and they will work just as well as the expensive studs. if you want get the stainless ones, they will last a little longer.