PDA

View Full Version : !400ex exhaust shoot-out!

Andrew400ex
01-31-2002, 07:18 PM
Hey i'm ready to get a exhaust sytem for my 400, and i was wondering wut i should get. Below i listed some im interested in. I want a pipe that isnt too loud but loud enuff to sound good with a k&n and the air box lid off. Thanks.:)

Stevo
01-31-2002, 07:27 PM
stock lol

TRX250EXER
01-31-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah I heard on the 400ex just putting a pipe doesnt do much. adds only like 1 or 2 hp. But with internal mods a pipe can wake it up and do more. With the money for a pipe I would do something else first. Maybe put in a higher comp piston and a cam or something. Then a pipe. But someone that has a 400 should be able to help you more than me

01-31-2002, 08:56 PM
For the same money your going to spend on that aftermarket exhaust, I would buy a JE 416 (87mm) piston, stock xr400 cam (they just drop in) grind out the weld on the stock head pipe if needed, rejet to a 158 main and a 42 pilot and slighlty trim the air box. You can do all this for about 300.00$ Your 400 will wake up from this better than a 500$ pipe. Then if you still want sound that is resonable buy a FMF Q series slip-on. They sound good and only produce 92-94 decibel (stock 88dc) the ones you listed run about 100-102dc. That's what I've done. It sound like a sleeper but you don't want to mess withit in the moring when it wakes up..:eek:

TRX250EXER
01-31-2002, 09:07 PM
Thats what I thought but wasnt sure. I know if I had a 400ex this is what I would be doing first. Oh and you can get quiet cores for the e-series and some of the others that drops the db by about 3 db. Dont knoe if it hurts the power or not though.

DEAL
01-31-2002, 09:10 PM
I actually heard that an exhaust is one of the best things you can do to your 400ex. I think the yoshi is one of the best pipes out there because everyone i talk to who owns em loves em.

Dave400ex
01-31-2002, 09:13 PM
On the Dyno a Pipe only makes 1 to 2 more HP than Stock, but wonce you ride a 400EX with a Pipe it feels like it added more than that. I love my TC Pipe. If you want more Bottom End, a Pipe, K&N Air Filter, Outerwear, and a Re-Jetted Carb will help a lot. Now, a JE 416 Piston and XR400 Cam would give you a lot more Power then a Pipe would. Plus the 416 Piston and Cam Kit cost around $300 from Marcum`s. That would be a good way to go. If you got the Piston, Cam, Pipe, Air Filter, Outerwear, and Re-Jetted the Carb you would have a HUGE Gain over Stock. That`s the way to go. If you don`t have the money for all that stuff right now, I would get the Pipe, Filter, Outerwear, and Re-Jet the Carb first. Then if you still want more Power, (Most Guys Do) then a JE 416 Piston and XR400 Cam would be calling your name.

Out of the Pipes listed, I would get a Yoshimura, White Brothers, or the FMF Powercore Q with a Powerbomb Header. Really I don`t know why you need to replace the Header unless you have a 440 or Bigger. TC Racing runs a Stock Header on all of his Engines. A lot of guys like the Yoshimura Pipe. I think it would be a good Pipe. White Brothers is the most common Pipe for a 400EX. The FMF is also good. Any of those Three Pipes will be good.

01-31-2002, 09:15 PM
That's one of the great things about the FMF Q series. It's a great performance pipe that don't have to be jacked with. You get full performance without the ear shrattering noise. ( those who like the ear shattering noise, I like it too, just not on my quad) It's a little more expencive though. I think they run around 275-300 for a slip-on.

Mitch400EX
01-31-2002, 10:05 PM
When I added my FMF powercore, k&N filter and 165 main, it seemed to add a lot of high end power. The bike would pull much harder in the higher RPMs then it used to. Yes the dyno only shows one or two horses, but it does this right where the stock powerband drops off. If I added a rev kit I suspect it would keep on pulling through those extra 1000 rpms. Sounds killer too.

Anyone see that raptor pipe shootout in dirtwheels?? they consistantly tweeked 10-13 more hp just with a pipe, filter and jet kit. d a mn!!! :huh

02-01-2002, 06:53 AM
That dirtwheels shootout was a big load of dog pooo. NO way did it add that much..there's already been a big debate out here on that,,not possible.

Red Rooster
02-01-2002, 08:07 AM
The powerbomb header is quieter than the stock header.

02-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Red Rooster300
The powerbomb header is quieter than the stock header.

Maybe 1 or 2 decibals while it's idling but when you put the hammer down I don't think it's any quieter than stock,,,FMF's adds are a little decieving. Yes it adds power but no it doesn't really queit the noise down at least on a 400ex,,,the powerbong does act different on different setups,,I think it delivers more power to the dirtbikes than quads.:( But still nice power gains when added to a quad.

Dave400ex
02-01-2002, 02:49 PM
ZooterBoy, what kind of Pipe do you have? Where do you live?

Another good thing about the FMF Pipe is you could just get the Silencer now, and if you got Motor Work down the road you could buy the Powerbong Header.

I don`t think Dirtwheels gained 13 HP on a Raptor with just a Pipe. I don`t know for sure though. My Dad wants to get a Pipe for his now. He wants to beat me in the Woods. I told him go ahead, I`ll just get a 416 Piston and Cam.

generalg
02-01-2002, 06:05 PM
You forgot to put the Pro Circuit pipe in the survey.... Personally that is what I like the best.

TRX250EXER
02-01-2002, 08:44 PM
I dont think its a big loud of poo!!. The stock raptor pipe is very restrictive. They did the tests on the same dyno they did the 400ex pipe shootout on. and they always seem to exagerate hondas. Plus the manufactures are claiming the same thing. Ride a stock raptor some time and then ride a piped raptor!! I have and there is way more difference than you'd think. So dont say something is poo unless you know for a fact that its a lie please. Simply say I'll believe it when I see it.

02-02-2002, 10:26 PM
another option is to do the Gabe mod (for lack of other name) . For $20 you can't go wrong, and its quiet. I went from a 148 (stock) jet up to a 162 with the mod and a couple holes in the airbox lid. Granted it is only a 1-2 HP change, but the HP curve is steeper (rideability). I can't imagine the couple pounds an aftermarket pipe would loose would really be all that noticeable (considering I could just not eat pizza the night before and have the same affect). To each their own.

scott:)

Chef
02-02-2002, 11:12 PM
I know for a fact that the pipe shootout was a load of crap. I beat a raptor with an FMF Powercore 4 Q pipe and powerbong header, without paddles on our stock raptor, in the sand, on a 300 foot dune. But maybe he just sucks really bad...

kid300ex
02-02-2002, 11:16 PM
Ya never know? It could be the rider and not the quad.... its all in the air really..... I beat a blaster and I weigh 270 and my other buddie weighs like 190 and I smoked him... like I said its all the rider

02-03-2002, 12:50 AM
You forgot to mention another good pipe out there as well, the DMC Dual complete....it is awsome got it in friday put it in that night and rode all day today...great gains without losing any top end. I did a airbox mod, K&N w/pre-filter and bumped up to a 170 jet and she purrs like a kitten. But if loud is a problem DMC w/o spark arrestor 103 db with spark arrestor 93 db.

DESDAK4
02-04-2002, 08:51 AM
I am currently running the E-series with 18 discs and a 170 main jet along with an open airbox and modified head pipe. I feel the power is pretty awsome from bottom to top.

mopar 400
02-06-2002, 06:30 PM
I have to agree wiht wareagle400ex. One of the pipes that don't get the recogniton deserved is the DMC. This is an awesome pipe, and I feel one of the best out there. I have 2 400's, and have gone through four pipes between the two. FMF, White Bros, Pro Circuit, and the DMC. I really feel if you are looking for a full exhaust, the DMC is the way to go, only if you like it LOUD!!!!:D :grr :grr

Mitch400EX
02-06-2002, 08:17 PM
The raptor motor is detuned from its 60hp European motorcycle brother. It wouldn't surprise me that minor intake and exhaust mods would really wake that motor up. Yamaha probably dropped most of the original hp by using smaller carbs (I think it has smaller carbs than the euro bike) and a more restrictive exhaust.