PDA

View Full Version : sand lake OR

big-guy
01-31-2002, 06:48 PM
Anyone been recently? I'm curious how rough the dunes are right now.

02-01-2002, 09:28 AM
Ummmmm, who cares???? When we going?
No, actually I was wondering that same thing..
Anyone ever go in the winter?

rhandw69
02-01-2002, 10:31 AM
Last year me and my dad and daughter went down there like mid feb. I couldnt bebieve the weather, it was cold when we got there, but the place was packed. By noon, i was into just a long sleeve shirt and that was it. It was sunny and just beautiful weather. SO then we went down again like in mid march and the weather was awfull. In fact we rode for like 2 hours and then drove back home.
I can ride in the cold, but when its blowing with rain and snow, welll........that puts a little different scenarion into the picture!
Im hoping for a nice weekend in the near future to give it a shot though!

big-guy
02-01-2002, 03:17 PM
I think I might wander down monday, if the weather's not too rough. I can handle wet, I can handle cold, but add 60mph windchill, and it's not quite so much fun anymore.

02-05-2002, 09:03 AM
How was it?

out4sand
02-05-2002, 02:53 PM
I talked to a guy that went down a couple weeks ago and he said it was really wet! The flats were all covered in water and much of the tree line was flooded. But it had been pouring for days before they got there so who knows. I guess it'll be all smoothed out for the spring riding ;)

big-guy
02-05-2002, 04:51 PM
I had to work instead. :(

out4sand
02-05-2002, 05:13 PM
If the weather stays just cloudy I may head to either Sand Lake or Winchester this weekend. But it all depends on the weather.

out4sand
02-13-2002, 05:47 PM
I went with a group of 4 other guys this last weekend to Sand Lake. It was GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!! We arrived really late Friday night and the flats were super wet with little rivers running all over the place from basically the back side of the first bowl toward the main entrance. The tree line was also covered in water in many places. The bowls are good and steep again and the idiot holes are a lot steeper then last summer. The only thing that surprised me was that there wasn' t much water at the base of the first bowl. There is a lake again but not a large one. The weather was perfect and the place wasn't packed at all so the riding was perrrrrrrrrrrrrfect! :D

http://out4sand.tripod.com

kid300ex
02-13-2002, 06:38 PM
Me and a couple other people are going down to sand lakes saturday for the day, this will be my first time riding in sand so Im pretty pumped :D Is there any big jumps or anything there?

out4sand
02-14-2002, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't say there are any true big jumps anywhere but there are tons of hills with lips and a lot of grass clumps and stuff that you can jump from. If you want to jump, you'll find plenty of stuff to get you launched into the air. Sand is too much fun!!

Baley69
03-14-2002, 01:29 AM
SPINREEL!!! Anyone been there? To me its the best, very low population of bikes, good trails, and its a very long dune.

rc3
03-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Sand Lake is always way to crowded, I only go there when I have to. Florence, Winchester, Horsefalls, & Christmas Valley is the place to go, also all you guys from Oregon, come join my user group, the site is
Oregon Sand Dunes User Group (http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/oregonsanddunes)