PDA

View Full Version : Puncuation

EXrider03
09-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Ive noticed alot of people on here using slang in there topics. I am not saying I am the best in grammar but it really makes alot of differance if you spell correctly and use correct puncuation. I guarantee if you do those more people will read the topic, they start seeing alot of slang words it is going to make you look unprofessional and there just going to move to the next topic. For Example: I saw someone using the word "Blew. for Blue"...Just small things like that. Just my opinion to some of you guys. Have fun!

ghost_ryder
09-18-2003, 07:41 PM
it doesnt matter how people spell stuff...this isnt school...nobody cares :D

cool 300ex
09-18-2003, 07:58 PM
LOL i hate spelling and english crap.

Woodsrider
09-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ghost_ryder
it doesnt matter how people spell stuff...this isnt school...nobody cares :D

You'll care when it's time to do a resume, and you can't spell or punctuate worth a chit;)

hondafox440
09-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Grammar is a good indicator of one's intelligence and maturity levels. I tend to think higher of a person that spells things correctly over someone who uses slang, no punctuation, and has the spelling capacity of monkeyboy.

Adam202
09-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Grammar is a good indicator of one's intelligence and maturity levels. I tend to think higher of a person that spells things correctly over someone who uses slang, no punctuation, and has the spelling capacity of monkeyboy.
i think your wrong

tclapp
09-18-2003, 08:22 PM
I do not think that the way that someone posts on this website reflects their intellegence one bit.

zephead400ex
09-18-2003, 08:26 PM
I have to agree that punctuation does show some signs of intelligence. However, I do not always use proper punctuation and spelling, but the majority of the time I do. It does make things a whole lot easier when you can actually read the word instead of having to decipher what the hell they were 'trying' to say.

Adam202: I love the avatar! Do you play?

peace

09-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by EXrider03
Ive noticed alot of people on here using slang in there topics. I am not saying I am the best in grammar but it really makes alot of differance if you spell correctly and use correct puncuation. I guarantee if you do those more people will read the topic, they start seeing alot of slang words it is going to make you look unprofessional and there just going to move to the next topic. For Example: I saw someone using the word "Blew. for Blue"...Just small things like that. Just my opinion to some of you guys. Have fun!

ahahah, you spelled the name of the post wrong

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-18-2003, 09:25 PM
i used to post using proper english, etc....but now...i just dont care. it takes too long to sit there and make sure you capitalized the right words, and blah blah. its ex riders, not english class....who gives a crap. i bet you could correct a few things in this reply, but does anyone really care? NOPE.

;)

btw, i could be a smartass and tell ya you made a few mistakes:

ive = I've
alot = a lot
differance = difference
puncuation = punctuation

but like i said...who gives a rats ***:confused2

jamiesel
09-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
ahahah, you spelled the name of the post wrong

funny

BornOnFire
09-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex

Adam202: I love the avatar! Do you play?

peace

Disc Golf player here in AZ! Two courses in Tucson. Phoenix has more. Can't beat free golf!
Later......

SGA
09-18-2003, 11:35 PM
I see a lot of spelling mistakes in the forums. I just overlook them. Some I dont even bother reading if they are really bad.
I do know that if you get in a habit of not correcting yourself, it tends to stick and show up at a bad time. (Job interview, etc.)

danney f
09-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

hahaha :p :p

09-19-2003, 01:28 AM
thats CRAZY, im gonna show that to my english teacher. :eek:

danney f
09-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I know. Where was this kind of research when I was in school. I could have came up with some real good excuses for falling asleep and incomplete homework.

Guy400
09-19-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I see a lot of spelling mistakes in the forums. I just overlook them. Some I dont even bother reading if they are really bad.
I do know that if you get in a habit of not correcting yourself, it tends to stick and show up at a bad time. (Job interview, etc.) Howard, I agree. We are all going to make spelling mistakes from time to time. However, if you don't correct yourself on a regular basis habits will form and they will show up at the wrong time.

blondie69
09-19-2003, 04:24 AM
I used to use alot of slang...like big time. But I don't use near as much any more. I was just being a retard when I did. If you looked back when I 1st joined...and saw some of my first few posts...yeah, thats what I used to type like. But I stopped after I took some typing tests, and I realized I was typing kind of slow because I was so used to slang (55-60 wpm is slow for me..) but now I type 74 wpm:D
But really...it doesn't matter that much how people are typing on this site. If there's a few mistakes, fine, so be it. Its not like were getting graded for visiting exriders. But I do see your point where it is good to correct yourself...because it comes handy in other situations.

RIjon
09-19-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by EXrider03
Puncuation

You * Might * want to run your own threads through a spell Checker :rolleyes:

But I DO agree with you

Grammar and Punctuation Directly Effect how others perceive one-another online and in the Real world

If you want to be taken seriously.... You must ATLEAST appear to be intelligent

spincr4hire
09-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by RIjon

my thoughts exactly

bansheeguy77
09-19-2003, 06:12 AM
yep i agree with ya's. i dont spell everything out but atleast make it understandable, and i try to type the way i talk. capitalization makes me feel like im in typing class too much thats why i usually never capitalize anything when im on the net for personal use. the thing that bugs me the most is when people use are for our....i mean got dam i remember having to spell our in 1st grade.....

ewalker302
09-19-2003, 06:43 AM
First what kind of jerkey starts a thread about how 2 punctuate on a message board, what is this the first message board he ever seen???

Then he makes all kinds of mistakes himself.
I don't know about u guys, but I don't mind things not being spelled or punctuated right. Just get the point across.

I'm here to share & get info, not to be graded.

& I'm pretty sure at least some of us write differently when fillin out a job app than when answering a thread about handlebars or some other crap.

:bandit:

Pappy
09-19-2003, 07:48 AM
normally in a serious thread you will see the spelling coorect and some puncuation<----lmfao

Atreyu
09-19-2003, 07:49 AM
watss punktuiton :confused:

chucked
09-19-2003, 08:44 AM
I am not saying I am the best in grammar but it really makes alot of differance if you spell correctly and use correct puncuation.

lmao.... puncTuation

I agree with you, I just think if the person writes like monkeyboy it just shows how immature they are.

09-19-2003, 09:03 AM
I write the way I talk......:blah: Backazz kuntry talk....:blah:

JTRtrx250r
09-19-2003, 09:51 AM
yeah ,I write the way I talk also...figured if ya cant beat em...join em:blah: w/ a little keyboard short-hand slang;)

wilkin250r
09-19-2003, 10:04 AM
You hear inspirational speakers say "It doesn't matter what other people think!" That's a load of BS. You get hired for a job based on what other people think of you, you get promoted based on other people think of you, and ultimately (unless you are successfully self-employed) your success in life is all based on somebody ELSE'S opinion.

Many people are right, punctuation in a quad forum probably isn't going to affect their lives much, but I will tell you that it DOES reflect on your credibility. Whether you are asking for advise, or giving it, you are going to get more credibility if your posts are spelled and punctuated properly. This is especially important when asking for advise or technical help. You are more likely to be taken seriously, and thus given a serious reply that might actually help you with your problem, if you present yourself in a mature and intelligent manner.

MOFO
09-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You hear inspirational speakers say "It doesn't matter what other people think!" That's a load of BS. You get hired for a job based on what other people think of you, you get promoted based on other people think of you, and ultimately (unless you are successfully self-employed) your success in life is all based on somebody ELSE'S opinion.

Many people are right, punctuation in a quad forum probably isn't going to affect their lives much, but I will tell you that it DOES reflect on your credibility. Whether you are asking for advise, or giving it, you are going to get more credibility if your posts are spelled and punctuated properly. This is especially important when asking for advise or technical help. You are more likely to be taken seriously, and thus given a serious reply that might actually help you with your problem, if you present yourself in a mature and intelligent manner.

I not only agree with this 100% personally, but I have seen it with my own eyes. I have been on this forum for 3+ years and other forums as well. I can tell you this holds true on ALL forums. If you write up a nice question, easy to read and spelled correctly, your post will be taken more serious. This is not an opinion, it is fact.

09-19-2003, 10:38 AM
If you think this is bad come to a hatfield mccoy ride and listen to all the slang and back woods talk. We give a whole new name to southern draw and accent...:devil:

I have to be professional at work all dam week i come here ta act like a retard....lmfao

Ryan
09-19-2003, 10:38 AM
If you really can't spell for jack, try using http://www.dictionary.com/ while your making your posts.

09-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by RIjon
You * Might * want to run your own threads through a spell Checker :rolleyes:

But I DO agree with you

Grammar and Punctuation Directly Effect how others perceive one-another online and in the Real world

I agree...

On the spellin' part though....check this out...

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. amzanig huh?

I got a kick out of that....seems a lot of people use that kind of spellin'.

Adam202
09-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by BornOnFire
Disc Golf player here in AZ! Two courses in Tucson. Phoenix has more. Can't beat free golf!
Later......
yea ive played disc golf for a lil over 3 years now. its really alot of fun. theres alot of courses around here, one 10 mins from my house.

hondafox440
09-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

That is exactly what I meant by my first post, and I agree with it 100%.