PDA

View Full Version : the boys xr 70 troubles

400exmom
09-18-2003, 05:06 PM
ridin 2 sun. ago- my 9 year old went through mud puddles all day and the motor died to wore out to mess w/ it just took it home and parked it.. today i pulled teh plug on it and it was packed w/ mudd changed it and tryin to start it and it wont kick over.. what do i do now???:(

dirtriderex
09-18-2003, 05:36 PM
try seeing if there is spark by holding the plug an a ground route and kick it over. check the air filter and gas, maybe water got inside.

400exmom
09-18-2003, 06:11 PM
the new plug had mud on it also i just cleaned it and it still wouldnt kick so i pushed started it and smoke is pouring out of the pipe and the motor sounds horrible, sould i change all the fluids in it and try to start it again??

jerry-89-250R
09-18-2003, 06:12 PM
also check the spark plug cap "on the end of the wire that snaps on the plug", if it's rubber coated you should be ok, if it's not they can crack when there hot and water hits them

400exmom
09-18-2003, 06:18 PM
im thinkin there's mud in the motor- :(

sickmojave
09-18-2003, 06:20 PM
whats it look like in the air box?

400exmom
09-18-2003, 06:22 PM
this could take a while i dont know where its at???

nuclearkielbasa
09-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Mom...... I hate to say it, but if that thing sat for two weeks with water and mud in the engine, I'd have to think that your top end and crank are probably F-cked up like a football bat. Best case scenario if it won't roll over, your rings are rusted to the cylinder walls. Put some light oil or spray a **** load of WD-40 down the spark plug hole and pray! Worst case scenario....... your top end and crank are now SHOT.

Any time an engine dies while its being run through mud and water, you have to get the moisture and dirt out of that engine ASAP, especially if it was really hot when it quit. I had an engine sieze up during a mud race, and the rings rusted to the cylinder walls in just one day. I've taken motors apart that sat for two weeks like yours and had to pound the engine apart with a block of wood and a LARGE hammer.

I hate to rain on your parade, but you better hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

Good luck!

09-18-2003, 08:08 PM
so if i get a little mud or something i nmy enginbe but keep riding the hell out of it that day it will clean it out? just dont let it sit in there for 2 weeks? :confused:

nuclearkielbasa
09-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
so if i get a little mud or something i nmy enginbe but keep riding the hell out of it that day it will clean it out? just dont let it sit in there for 2 weeks? :confused:

Riding the hell out of it will do just as much damage as letting it sit in the garage for two weeks. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Every engine gets a little dirt or water run through it from time to time, but if it gets enough **** in it to actually QUIT, then you gots trouble!

400exmom
09-18-2003, 10:04 PM
thats what i thought it was really hot!! and packed w/ mud grrrrr i was too damn tired from doin the gncc the night before and gettin those kids out to play the day after w/out sleep....sigh.. my lazyness from not doin what i shouldve has cost my *** now.... looks like the boys is gonna bump up to that ktm65 and moms gettin a new pit bike:devil: ..hmmm after i get the other boy his new bike, my new shocks, my new plastic, new tires and cash to make the next race...k im outa here this is gettin depressing..

86350x
09-19-2003, 12:20 AM
As far as downing out a 2 wheeler goes, take out the air filter, put the bike in top gear, take out the spark plugg. Tip it right upside sown and turn the back wheel be hand to pump all the water out of it.

Change the oil asap

Did you ever look inside the airbox?

If and (when) you pull the topend apart you could try flushing the lower end out. People have done it before, and the motor still lasted many more years.

Rico, get your butt over there and fix her kids bike!

400exmom
09-19-2003, 04:28 AM
im up and out to the garage.. thanks for the tip on gettin the water out ill do that and drown where the spark plug goes with wd40.. man i luvu guys thanks for helpin a gal out- wish me luck i dont wanna cry over this bike- my eyes are all swollen from ballin bout bein leaft out in sparta this weekend... GOOD LUCK AT SPARTA BOYS- and TLC;)..

400exmom
09-19-2003, 07:00 AM
K guy did all i was told and it started on the first kick and idleing great but when i rev it up light grey smoke is pourin outa the exhaust...what is causing this??

sickmojave
09-19-2003, 07:06 AM
if the air filter and oil are clean I bet the smoke will quite after you run it a little.

TGW_400ex
09-19-2003, 07:23 AM
Wow this reminds me of when a kid i ride w/ layed his XR100 down in a creek hahaha we were there for about a hour sqirtin water out of the sparkplug hole the air filter was reallly bad to we got it runnin and he says it runs better now wonder y that was the first time the air filter was out:p

400exmom
09-19-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
if the air filter and oil are clean I bet the smoke will quite after you run it a little. yup cleaned em up.. what a tiny lil filter.. thanks again 4 walkin me through it:D

400exmom
09-19-2003, 07:25 AM
[ now wonder y that was the first time the air filter was out:p [/B][/QUOTE] cuz im just a girl:devil: (shrug):blah:

86350x
09-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Glad everything worked out for ya.:)