PDA

View Full Version : knocking noise?

lilpoppy
09-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Ok guys I need some help. I just got done checking my cam since it is a stage 2 hotcam and ever since we put it back together it has been making kind of a sputtering noise mostly out of the air filter and it almost sounds like a knocking noise too. When i put my head up next to the engine it sounds like a knocking noise from inside the engine. My question is that we didnt even take the cam out so I dont see how but it appears that the timing was off. I had the flywheel at TDC and the lines on the sprocket werent lining up with the head. Well i realligned the cam and put it all back together and the noise still hasn't gone away. The cam chain is not loose, the chain tenssioner is working properly and all of the valves are adjusted perfectly. .005 intake and .006 exhaust. I have looked at everything and it all seems fine. I also rechecked the flange on the cam and it is very tight. The only thing i havn't looked at is the piston or anything lower than that. I am using 110 race gas and it has been sitting in my garage for at least 3 months but could predettonation cause that noise? I have never heard it on a quad so I have no idea what it sounds like. Any help would be greatly appreciated and all of my mods are listed below. One last bit of info is that I recently just put my stock exhaust back on because of noise problems but it was making the noise before that.

TT 400ex
09-18-2003, 12:51 PM
do you have an fcr carb on your bike if so the noise could be the slide plate. the plate has a little play in it and makes a tapping noise.

Kilabanshee
09-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Check your valve clearance.

lilpoppy
09-18-2003, 02:53 PM
the valve clearance is good and yes i have the FCR but i also hear the knocking noise in the engine. I never noticed it there before. I have had the Fcr for quite a while and i have never noticed that noise. The weird part is that it doesn't seem to be running bad. I tried new gas and it didn't help at all. Anymore ideas?

lilpoppy
09-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Well i checked the slide on the carb and it is what was making the noise. It is hella loud. Is there any way to adjust it or is that just the way it is gonna sound from now on? I still hear a knock coming from the engine though. Is there any way to make sure that the cam is installed correctly? I want to be sure that it wasn't installed with the lobes down on the wrong stroke. Would that be very noyiceable if it were the case?

speedy400
09-18-2003, 03:21 PM
I had the same problem that you had. I have stock carb, keep that in mind. Well the problem is I needed to adjust my pilot and air/fuel screw, btw make sure your choke is open. also you pilot is really really big. I am not sure if ou have it that big becuase the fcr carb and how that works but I have- 416,hotcam stg 2. 10.8:1 compression,ported and polished my head, I have a full exhaust and aluminum airbox and my pilot is at 45, seems to be perfect pilot wise.hope I helped-darren