PDA

View Full Version : Well folks looks like the speculation may come to an end!!!

Johnny_G
09-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Since the begining of the 2000 GNCC season PPl have been speculating what would happen if 7 Time GNCC champ Barry Hawk were still racing a quad....................Looks like we may find out at Ironman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on both sides of the fence on this debate personally.....Barry is unbelievablt talented, and with the right amount of time and practice I am certain he could be a player again, BUT the pace has increased considerably, and if he truely has not been riding an ATV....I think he will play hell breaking into the top 5 his first time back:eek:

Here is the Quote taken from last weeks Interveiw with the 7...Perhaps soon to be 8 time GNCC champ Barry Hawk:

BTW Congratulations Barry...You worked hard for it!!!!!!!

"Racerxill:So if you do win the title, is it true you’re going to ride an ATV at one round again?
Hawk:Earlier this year I went to Texas to ride the new Yamaha YFZ450 ATV, and I was really fired up on it. So I was thinking I would maybe race it in Indiana if I wrap up the championship early. I have one in my garage right now, but I haven’t taken it out on my track. I need to stay focused on this YZ250. When I win the championship, maybe I’ll do it."

Pappy
09-18-2003, 10:24 AM
:ermm:

id like to see him run a race or two...but if he gets his arse handed to him it wont look to good:scary:

cdalejef
09-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Thats great news to hear but I don't believe he will be in the top 5 overall either. Your correct, the pace has gotten faster over the last 3 or 4 years.

Admin
09-18-2003, 10:36 AM
I personally wouldn't count him out of the top 5. He would be starting on the 2nd row, which would make it harder, but he has natural talent and the conditioning from the motorcycle that could still allow him to finish up top.

I think it would be awesome to see him on a quad again:D

Doibugu2
09-18-2003, 10:43 AM
I could beat him!:eek:

cdalejef
09-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I personally wouldn't count him out of the top 5. He would be starting on the 2nd row, which would make it harder, but he has natural talent and the conditioning from the motorcycle that could still allow him to finish up top.

I think it would be awesome to see him on a quad again:D Care for a friendly wager? ;)

Admin
09-18-2003, 11:01 AM
What kinda of a Wager?;)

Pappy
09-18-2003, 11:02 AM
i say the winner has to wash the losers quad:devil:

jlhughes750
09-18-2003, 11:05 AM
I'd say top 5 for sure, even from row 2!!!! He runs a faster pace now on that 2 wheeler than any of the quad guys, they race 3 hours!!! Barry said it himself years ago.... once he got used to going fast, then it was all about conditioning.. he's in better shape than ever before, and after 7 years of totally stomping the competition, do you really think it'll take more than a few hours on a quad to get the hang again???come on you guys this is Barry Hawk were talking about!!!:mad: Plus++++ This is Hawk were talking about, a factory rider!! What do think he'll be busy working the 2 weeks before the Ironman and won't have time to ride 100% everyday for 2 weeks??? get real:grr:

My vote is top FIVE!!!! (fist pounds on table firmly):grr:

Pappy
09-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
I'd say top 5 for sure, even from row 2!!!! He runs a faster pace now on that 2 wheeler than any of the quad guys, they race 3 hours!!! Barry said it himself years ago.... once he got used to going fast, then it was all about conditioning.. he's in better shape than ever before, and after 7 years of totally stomping the competition, do you really think it'll take more than a few hours on a quad to get the hang again???come on you guys this is Barry Hawk were talking about!!!:mad: Plus++++ This is Hawk were talking about, a factory rider!! What do think he'll be busy working the 2 weeks before the Ironman and won't have time to ride 100% everyday for 2 weeks??? get real:grr:

My vote is top FIVE!!!! (fist pounds on table firmly):grr:

rotflmao!!!!:D

cdalejef
09-18-2003, 11:35 AM
What kinda of a Wager?;) I'll have to think about that one.

monkeyboy
09-18-2003, 11:46 AM
izzzz my favritte skatt border 2:bandit:

Ryan
09-18-2003, 11:48 AM
I hope he wins the championship and is able to race at Ironman! It would definitly be interesting to see how well he does. I don't think he will make it on the podium, though.

TJ400EX
09-18-2003, 11:52 AM
I'll say (hope for) the top five. Just my $.02. It'll be interesting to say the least!

Tim

spincr4hire
09-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
izzzz my favritte skatt border 2:bandit:
LMAO

Bart
09-18-2003, 12:26 PM
If Barry got his quad set up (suspension, etc...) for him and for GNCC racing, and didn't have mechanical problems, I would say top 5. On a bone stock YFZ450, he'd be lucky to finish.

There have been several recent examples of MX/TT quad guys (Jones, Hitt, etc...) running well at GNCC's.

If he were to race, is there any way he could get an exemption to start in the first row? Could someone out of the top 20 donate their spot to him? That would definitely make it a little more fair/interesting for him.

I still don't expect him to do it. He would have nothing to gain from it and a lot to lose if he were to look bad or hurt himself.

Teufel
09-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Barring a break down Hawk will with out a doubt be on the podium. It's funny that anyone could suggest that he'd be off the pace with the current quad pros.:rolleyes

cdalejef
09-18-2003, 12:49 PM
And why is that?

jlhughes750
09-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Nothing to gain from it???? how about $1500 bucks and the right to say i spanked all you guys and then i'm gonna come back tommorow and spank the bike guys too!!!I know one thing, he'd spank me easy, and everyonje of the other 10,000 members of this site, even on an off day,after getting a bad start, on an LT80..stock..with bald tire, baldHoleshot non the less!!! anyone remember whnen he got 6 or 7th at Ga. one year riding with one hand!!!with a twist throttle, he broke his hand the week before at Fla.!!!!!

cdalejef
09-18-2003, 12:52 PM
We'll according to the rules, he can't race the bike and the quad in the same weekend. So he will have to wrap up the championship at St Clairsville and park the bike at Ironman to do it by the rules.

Admin
09-18-2003, 01:01 PM
We'll according to the rules, he can't race the bike and the quad in the same weekend. So he will have to wrap up the championship at St Clairsville and park the bike at Ironman to do it by the rules.

You forgot one thing Jeff. This is a GNCC Race, and the rules can change depending on who you are!!!:eek: Its a shame, but TRUE!!:eek:

cdalejef
09-18-2003, 01:24 PM
You forgot one thing Jeff. This is a GNCC Race, and the rules can change depending on who you are!!!:eek: Its a shame, but TRUE!!:eek: Good point!

BUCK442
09-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Thats true about the rules..... is it on a bell curve.!!! I think he would be top five also, you can't just win 7 years in a row just by proper conditioning, (imop) he has a God given talent and that usually doesn't go away. If I remember correctly Mr. Duvall skipped a year or so of GNCC's (might have made a few) and he came back and was instantly back on pace. No doubt Barry is in shape, no doubt he fast, just needs to ride red instead!

Would love to see a B Vs B shootout. I know Bill always wanted to beat Barry for the championship fair and square and said it just wouldn't be the same if he quit.

Hawk = Quad God!

jlhughes750
09-18-2003, 01:34 PM
HOW BOUT IT, AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!!!4STRK. STOCK CLASS FOR EXAMPLE!!!HAHAHAHA

BUCK442
09-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Dooo!! :eek:

joedirt
09-18-2003, 01:41 PM
TOP 3 EASY HE KNOWS WHAT IT TAKES. HE RACES FOR A LIVING

Ryan
09-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by joedirt
TOP 3 EASY HE KNOWS WHAT IT TAKES. HE RACES FOR A LIVING

Yeah but from what it sounds, he hasn't ridden quads to often since he switched to strictly racing bikes.

jlhughes750
09-18-2003, 02:49 PM
i don't care how long its been, he'll still do great, he's natural talent!!!BTW, Bill could'nt touch him!!!(i may start a contraversy with that one)

Hey, lets not forget, its the Bill and Chris show now, lets just see if Bill can win again period!!!!Borich might be getting a streak of his own going

later, J

660bigdaddy
09-18-2003, 02:50 PM
do you think team yamaha would help his effort if he tried? i'm sure they wouldn't put a "bone stock" yfz on the line for there champion...
i hope he does it.
BTW, mickey dunlop said in the yamaha forum over at connection that he was building a 470yfz for a mystery rider. won't say who.
could it be hawk?

propartsracing
09-18-2003, 04:41 PM
I definately think Hawk could do top 3, no doubt about that. As for the rules... yeah, I was talking with Hawk in the pits during the quad race & he was cheering Mike, my husband, on. I told him that if he ran down to the woods nearby, he could catch Mike again. He said he wasn't even ALLOWED to walk into to the woods much less down the trail! Wow, that's unbelievable! They won't even let the PRO BIKE MECHANICS race in the ATV race - fearing they might learn some tips from them.

That's just plain ridiculous if you ask me!

Trish

holeshot19
09-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 660bigdaddy
do you think team yamaha would help his effort if he tried? i'm sure they wouldn't put a "bone stock" yfz on the line for there champion...
i hope he does it.
BTW, mickey dunlop said in the yamaha forum over at connection that he was building a 470yfz for a mystery rider. won't say who.
could it be hawk?

Johnny_G
09-18-2003, 09:24 PM
i don't care how long its been, he'll still do great, he's natural talent!!!BTW, Bill could'nt touch him!!!(i may start a contraversy with that one)

Hey, lets not forget, its the Bill and Chris show now, lets just see if Bill can win again period!!!!Borich might be getting a streak of his own going

later, J

Jay:
you know I like and respect ya but I have to call BS on this one big time!!!!!!!

2 things you said here are absolutely ridiculous:

Statement #1. "BTW, Bill could'nt touch him"

Jay it is time to put down the pipe.....cause you've smoked just a bit to much of monkeyboys green stuff:rolleyes:

Barry is a great rider...one of the best of all time!!!!!, He is, was , and always will be one of my heros, but saying that Mr. Ballance wouldn't touch him is absurd....don't believe me ask Barry himself?
If Barry were to recommit to ATV's he would be right back in the thick of things.............but not at a higher level like he was B4 he retired.

Statement #2 "lets just see if Bill can win again period"

:huh I will leave this response short and simple!!!
Chris Borich is one of the fastest riders on the face of the planet, but he don't have Bill handled just yet, could it happen soon you bet.....but he aint there yet...................Don't believe me ? Ask Joe Borich...he knows that as far as chris has come....he still has a way to go B4 he can rule this sport like Bill does now and Barry B4 him!!!!

These are just my opinions..........I aint fast enough to even stay with any of the 3 of the afformentioned for more than a lap or so.........But man is it fun for that lap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIDER11X
09-19-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
I hope he wins the championship and is able to race at Ironman! It would definitly be interesting to see how well he does. I don't think he will make it on the podium, though.

Sorry but Bill Ballance could beat anyone in the woods a few years ago...........except for Barry Hawk Jr.! Barry is a talented rider that seldom makes mistakes while racing, and made 1st place finishes much more commonplace for Mr. Balance since his retirement from quads.;)

09-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Johnny_G
Jay:
you know I like and respect ya but I have to call BS on this one big time!!!!!!!

2 things you said here are absolutely ridiculous:

Statement #1. "BTW, Bill could'nt touch him"

Jay it is time to put down the pipe.....cause you've smoked just a bit to much of monkeyboys green stuff:rolleyes:

Barry is a great rider...one of the best of all time!!!!!, He is, was , and always will be one of my heros, but saying that Mr. Ballance wouldn't touch him is absurd....don't believe me ask Barry himself?
If Barry were to recommit to ATV's he would be right back in the thick of things.............but not at a higher level like he was B4 he retired.

Statement #2 "lets just see if Bill can win again period"

:huh I will leave this response short and simple!!!
Chris Borich is one of the fastest riders on the face of the planet, but he don't have Bill handled just yet, could it happen soon you bet.....but he aint there yet...................Don't believe me ? Ask Joe Borich...he knows that as far as chris has come....he still has a way to go B4 he can rule this sport like Bill does now and Barry B4 him!!!!

These are just my opinions..........I aint fast enough to even stay with any of the 3 of the afformentioned for more than a lap or so.........But man is it fun for that lap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

jlhughes750
09-19-2003, 07:18 AM
first of ALL Monkeys got some goodchit!!

second, Your right Johnny???? I was just trying to fire some of you guys up!!!!! Chris will be a thorn in Bills side from now on, Your right, he's still got a ways to go BUT.. look where he's at.. he won the last 2!!! wheres he gonna go from here.....?? 12 in a row????
Johnny??? i will debate this in defense of one of my statements. When Hawk was racing, Bill couldn't touch him!!!Thats a fact!!!sorry, its not BS at all, he never dominated till hawk quit!!!thats not BS its a fact!!

for the record: Bills fast, i have nothing against him!!! He's the most dedicated rider out there and is nearly untouchable..I'm just adding my opinion to the topic at hand. Don't flame me!!hahaha You southern folk take your champions serious!!I thought that might stir u guys up!!hahaha

later, J

Pappy
09-19-2003, 08:14 AM
maybe hawk is still great ....it may just be the fact that the other pro's have grown so much as riders in ability that he wont dominate like he used too. either way....it will be a kick *** time to watch him race again!!!

quadman21
09-19-2003, 08:14 AM
You guys have to remember that Hawk hasn't been sitting on the couch these past years. He's in great shape racing the pro bikes which is up to three hours vs. the two for quads. Also, don't you guys know he was always racing both days? He was riding a Suzuki bike on Sunday before he got his Yamaha contract. I'd even venture to say that the YFZ in his garage isn't collecting dust by any means. I absolutely think Hawk could finish top 5 easy. maybe even podium. Starting on the second row would leave him in striking distance until he got his feet wet on the first lap. Smiley pulled off a poduim from the second row and so could Hawk. Also, the rules say you can't ride both pro quads and pro bikes. So he could ride another class on sunday but what would be the point. Jeff, I'll make a friendly wager with you if barry races Ironman. Podium from the first row or top 5 from the second:eek2: (all in fun of course);)

09-19-2003, 08:17 AM

second, Your right Johnny???? I was just trying to fire some of you guys up!!!!! Chris will be a thorn in Bills side from now on, Your right, he's still got a ways to go BUT.. look where he's at.. he won the last 2!!! wheres he gonna go from here.....?? 12 in a row????
Johnny??? i will debate this in defense of one of my statements. When Hawk was racing, Bill couldn't touch him!!!Thats a fact!!!sorry, its not BS at all, he never dominated till hawk quit!!!thats not BS its a fact!!

for the record: Bills fast, i have nothing against him!!! He's the most dedicated rider out there and is nearly untouchable..I'm just adding my opinion to the topic at hand. Don't flame me!!hahaha You southern folk take your champions serious!!I thought that might stir u guys up!!hahaha

later, J

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/chairshot.gif

jlhughes750
09-19-2003, 11:01 AM
funny Rico!!!;)

i guess everyones on the way to Ky. to the GNCC!!!!!! or else more of u would be on here bashing me with a folding chairs... theres always monday!!:p

MEL
09-19-2003, 02:36 PM
since barry is a factory yamaha rider, wouldn't they have a say in him racing? if he were to get hurt, that could stop him from repeating next year as champion. as long as yamaha's signing his paycheck, i'm sure they'll be desiding if he'll be racing on 2 wheels or 4.

ex kid
09-19-2003, 07:34 PM
hawk would deffinatley finish top 5 overall. someone else said it but you dont win 7 championchips and forget what ur doing. let him get a few hours on the bike maybe run a local race, hell be out front agian.

(KN)GNCC91
09-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Are you sitting back, ok, good, in no way,shape or form am I comparing myself to anyone mentioned in this post, anyways I went 5 years without racing a gncc, my last gncc was boyers in 97, I finished 1st in open a,somethin' like 17th overall. I hit the line in florida and broke the top 30 overall in 2002, 1st time in 5 years I raced a quad. I'm just a dirty little scum bag, I drank more beer tonight than Barry does in a year, I gaurantee barring anything mechanical he will bust the top five, the pace is def. faster now, but sure isn't anything he's not used to. As far as the yfz, slap on a pipe,skids,& back off the rear preload and you got a natty caliper quad, if you don't think so go ride one in the woods. I don't think you need a works machine here. JL Hughes, I'm still laughing. Remember, all this BS and he might not even race it. How do I change my user name to Team Yamaha? Just kidding.

quadracer12
09-19-2003, 09:52 PM

later, J

J,
if you believe chris can progress to bill's abillity why can't bill progress to hawk's abillity? Bill has had 4 years now to get better.
Look at chris 4 years ago. everyone has progressed. i know one thing i can't wait to witness this race!

12gofast
09-19-2003, 10:03 PM
I would say Barry has a damn good chance of winning, if he does decide to race....based on conditioning alone. Also with his extra experience on the bike his ballance and understanding of the terrain has become that much better as well as having that extra wind to be able to push at 100% in hour 3.

Also he can compete on Sunday on the bike, just not in the pro class.....Andy Lagzdins has done it for years...racing pro quad on Sat and Vet A bike on Sunday

cdalejef
09-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Here is the quote from the AMA/GNCC rulebook: "Pro bike riders are not eligible to race the ATV event."
So we may not even get a chance to see this happen if Racer Productions follows the rules.:(

Teufel
09-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
And why is that?

:rolleyes2

cdalejef
09-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Teufel
:rolleyes2 Why are you rolling your eyes?

Teufel
09-21-2003, 05:17 PM
It's just that Barry is arguably the best woods racer to ever race a quad , and to think that he is off the mark just because he is the #1 bike amazes me.

cdalejef
09-21-2003, 05:51 PM
All I am saying is that the pace has gotten faster since Barry was king! I was racing pro when Barry was winning, the pace has stepped up quite a bit since then!
For the people that was saying Bill couldn't run with Barry when Barry was on top, it kinda like what is happening now with Ballance and Borich. Borich is fast but he still has some experience to gain, he and his did will tell you the samething. When Barry was on top, Bill was young and still learning. I just don't believe Barry will be able to just jump on the quad and be on the pace. After some seat time I say that he can do it but not right off the bat.

holeshot19
09-21-2003, 07:20 PM
has he rapped up the championship

cdalejef
09-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Yes, he wrapped it up. Suzuki presented him with Smiths #1 plate.

MEL
09-21-2003, 07:35 PM
anybody know why fred andrews wasn't racing?

cdalejef
09-21-2003, 07:37 PM
He crashed friday on a motocross track and was pretty banged up. He went to the hospital but nothing was broken.

MEL
09-21-2003, 07:40 PM
He crashed friday on a motocross track and was pretty banged up. He went to the hospital but nothing was broken.
thanks for the info

12gofast
09-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Here is the quote from the AMA/GNCC rulebook: "Pro bike riders are not eligible to race the ATV event."
So we may not even get a chance to see this happen if Racer Productions follows the rules.:(

Only if he races the Pro Bike Class...Lagzdins has a Pro license but does not run the pro bike class he runs pro quad and vetA bike.

Also don't you understand that Racer Productions would be on the promotional opportunities of something like this....like flys on sh.t
If Barry and Yamaha decide to do this....RP will be all for it.

popo
09-23-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by 12gofast
Also don't you understand that Racer Productions would be on the promotional opportunities of something like this....like flys on sh.t
If Barry and Yamaha decide to do this....RP will be all for it.

Anything to accomidate there rules and money!

Just what we need, more Polaris spectators pulling thier wagons at the Ironman filling up the pit areas's..... over the hype.

09-23-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by popo
Anything to accomidate there rules and money!

Just what we need, more Polaris spectators pulling thier wagons at the Ironman filling up the pit areas's..... over the hype.

Yeah i'm gonna have to probably cuss someone at RP if I see 200000000000000 pit bikes. Last year a guy on a atc250R was tryin to break the ground speed record right next to us all day. Quads crossing the fields in front of ya when your 5th gear wide open. Maybe a friendly smack in the chops will get someone motivated...:eek:

joedirt
09-23-2003, 01:24 PM
DODGING TREES AND SPECTATORS THAT'S WHAT GNCC IS ALL ABOUT? SPECTATORS HELPED ME LAST YEAR I RAN OUT OF GAS WHILE RUNNING 2ND AND I TOLD SOMEONE TO GRAB MY GAS BACK AT THE PITS AND THEY DID TO MY SUPRISE i ENDED UP 5TH OR SOMETHING. YOU GET IN MY WAY I RUN YOU OVER (TRACTION DEVISE ON UP HILLS)

jlhughes750
09-23-2003, 01:50 PM
JOE DIRT ...this guys sounds like a mean old fart of a racer!!! wonder who this guy is??? Wouldn't want to get in his way!!!

hey JOEDIRT whats your opinion of the Ballance Hawk debate???

joedirt
09-23-2003, 02:20 PM
HAWK HE STRONGER SMARTER AND FASTER. JUST WON THE MOTORCYCLE TITLE HAS A BUNCH OF CONFIDENCE AND HE'S FROM PENNSY. IF HE DON'T WIN THE RACE HE WILL BEAT BALLANCE

ex kid
09-23-2003, 05:45 PM
my guess is barry hawk just stopped racing quads not riding them, i would say theres a good chance hell come back and teach some people a thing or two. even if he did stop riding quad for a few years he probably wouldnt slow down much beause hes a dirtbike pro and has the endurance and mind set that he knows hes the fastest and he can win. the only thing thats gonna stop him is a f'd up bike.

p.s. joedirt will stay out of my way if he knows whats good for him.

jlhughes750
09-24-2003, 02:52 PM
The mighty and all powerful JOEDIRT has spoken!! Let it be heard this proclomation. JOEDIRT says: Hawk will beat Ballance win or no win!!!

well they have to race each other first, and i really don't think it'll happen.

later, J:devil: