PDA

View Full Version : Basic Training?

cotttonwoody
09-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Has anyone here been or is in the military? I am leaving sept 23 for Air Force BMT, and was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for basic.

Pappy
09-17-2003, 10:16 PM
run..run...and run some more

sit ups..push ups....

air force BT aint so bad....and your going in at a time when it wont be too hot or cold.

i wish ya the best of luck and thank you for serving:)

mx73vet
09-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Basic is a cake walk. It's hot as hell at Lackland AFB so prepare to sweat your balls off! You really don't even do that much PT (physical training). If it's too hot you walk. From what I've heard basic isn't anyhere near as bad as when I was there (9 years ago) and it wasn't bad then. The biggest deal is that they're going to "deprogram" you! Just practice your "yes sirs", "no sirs" and you'll do fine. Oh yeah. Make sure you go to church on Sunday. It's the only real break you'll get from training. Once you get out of BMT and Tech. school it's just like a normal job, you just wear you blues or greens to work. Good luck!

One more thing. Just my opinion. Try and get into something in the Electronics field if it's not already too late. I was a Tech. Controller. All of the electonic fields are good jobs. You'll have a better chance at getting a good job when and if you decide to get out. Stick with it. It's the best decision my parents ever made for me!

popo
09-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Ya, Ask to get stationed on Minot, North Dakota if you don't like heat.

Thats my home town, ask fer my momma.. she feed ya.

310Rduner
09-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by popo
Ya, Ask to get stationed on Minot, North Dakota if you don't like heat.

Thats my home town, ask fer my momma.. she feed ya.

"Excuse me.. excuse me maam, do you know where i can find Popos momma? "

SGA
09-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
I can see it now.......Help! Police! Its one of them weirdo hippe types! ( beating you on head with purse)

popo
09-18-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I can see it now.......Help! Police! Its one of them weirdo hippe types! ( beating you on head with purse)

Stop or my Mom will shoot. She is mean as cat chit.

popo
09-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner

I bet they would know, my dad was the squadern commander of the Spitten Kittens. Flying F-106's. His call sign was popo. And after he retired he became a Police Officer, to which I have the same badge number. I.e. popo35.

After my father passed away, my mom started working on the base coordinating new families moving onto the base.

ewalker302
09-18-2003, 01:12 AM
I got some advice.

Scared of marine core boot camp wussies?

Air Force? I'd rather deal w the coast guard than the stuck up air force jerks.

Anyway, advice-

Run as mutch as you can between now & then--stay hydrated but run till you puke every day.

Do push ups till your arms feel like they will fall off then try again & try it again as soon as you can.

This is what u will be doing anyway. Get a head start you WILL appreciate every second of your own training b/f u get there & kick ***.

Oh yeah most important get your body used to sleeping early & waking real early. (very important if u want it 2 be easiest)

But oh yeah u said air force right, just sleep late, & eat as much ice cream as u can you will probably get through just fine.

:bandit:

RUNMYTA
09-18-2003, 01:30 AM
Basic is a cake walk. It's hot as hell at Lackland AFB so prepare to sweat your balls off! You really don't even do that much PT (physical training). If it's too hot you walk. :eek2:

Dayum!! Makes me wish that I had joined the Airforce!:rolleyes:

Scared of marine core boot camp *****??
:grr:

WTF was that for!! Typical dumbazz JARHEAD bull**** for you!
:blah:

WE all know why they have Marines on Naval Ships for?? Sheep are to obvious!:devil:

Anyway, I agree with most of these guys. Start running and doing lots of push-ups and sit-ups. Start drinking plenty of water. And like mx73vet said go to church because that is the only true free time you get!!

SFC Mike Smith (29N10, 35N20, 19D40, 79T40) Armored Cavalry :macho SCOUTS OUT!! HOOOAAAAHHH

YLW400
09-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Yea "ewalker"....I guess all Air Force guys are ******* huh?? Bring your little jarhead *** over here and I can show you a ***** ;) Wow, you guys must be tough because you have a long boot camp....lmao You probably worked in the chow hall...... I can't stand that crap when another service member, regardless of what branch talks crap about another branch.....You know what? Just be happy another person is serving!

As for prepping...BT isn't that bad...it depends on your TI also. Ours was a gung ho cop, so he would come in on Saturday mornings and take us on fun runs..lol I ran alot more in tech school then I did in basic.....but then it was still only 4 miles 3 days a week at about 0400 because it was so stinking hot. Do you have your AFSC yet? Your job? Are you going in open???

killerworm
09-18-2003, 06:30 AM
I'm in the Air Force and I'm stationed at Minot. As for Basic...don't worry too much. It's purposely made to be stressful but do you know how many people have been through it...tens of thousands. So I have no doubt in my mind it will be a cakewalk for you. Once your done with Basic and your tech school it's basically the easiest job you'll ever work! Minot isn't all bad either. There's some great places to ride around here too. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Mason

SGA
09-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302
I got some advice.

Scared of marine core boot camp ******??

Air Force? I'd rather deal w the coast guard than the stuck up air force *******.

Yes we can all cuss, and say things to get others riled up, but lets not do it on EXriders please. SGA

YLW400
09-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Whats your job killer? I was in Aircew Life Support, stationed at Dover for 4 years.

ewalker302
09-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Sorry for the profanity (SGA)

but the same word is not edited out like other places in this same thread.

If there are new rules let us know.

:bandit:

Natertot426ex
09-18-2003, 07:19 AM
I went through Back in 98 right out of high school. You are going at a good time of the year. It won't be super hot. One thing to remember. DON'T VOLUNTERE FOR ANYTHING!!!! you will hate it if you do. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. I went to Sheppard AFB for Tech school to be a Jet Engine Mechanic and I am working For the Idaho Air National Guard. The Guard is 10 times better that active. You don't have to deal with all the bull **** and trust me there is a lot. In BT you will march your legs off. Have competitions in marching and go through the obstical course twice and go shoot guns for one day then do a war like simulation. I look back now and thought it was fun but then I thought it was hell. get use to getting up at 5 in the morning for PT. That is about it. Have fun.

SGA
09-18-2003, 07:20 AM
Nah, no new rules. Just trying to keep the site clean. I guess I just missed those words in other threads, I would have removed them. Thanks for letting me know, I'll pay more attention. :)

YLW400
09-18-2003, 07:30 AM
Sorry about that....I included a few myself...

LTandRaptorider
09-18-2003, 10:27 AM
as everyone else said, get some exercise in, and maybe a little familiarity with weapons if you don't have any.

Most of all, be proud! You'll be serving the greatest country on this planet, and we thank you! :D

2qk4u
09-18-2003, 11:43 AM
im in the airforce stationed here in good old kansass. not by choice either. but one good thing i guess is im close the the oklahoma dunes. im a crewchief on a kc-135 airplane. not bad. you see alot of the world thats for sure.

DESDAK4
09-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Every thing KILLERWORM said is true, even about Minot, I have been here for about 7.5 of my 11.5 years of service. It really is a good job no matter what you do (stay in or use it as a stepping stone). Good luck and thanks for joining us in the Air Force.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

250exer
09-18-2003, 02:26 PM
I was Air Force for 13 years. 5 active and 8 reserve. Would have stayed for 20 but joints too screwed up (not job related).

As others have said, prior conditioning will make it more enjoyable, but others won't have so you'll be okay either way. Just remember that boot camp has a purpose (indoctrinate you) and it's a big game. Go along with it and don't take it to seriously and you'll be fine.

I agree with whoever suggested picking a career field (or changing later if it's too late for now) that will help you on the outside. I ran warehouses in the Air Force and now do it for the worlds largest medical device manufacturer.

Wear the uniform proudly and thanks for your service.

L.Vegas400
09-18-2003, 02:35 PM
most everyone there wishes they wernt and would quit if they could. a couple months out of it, you would do it again for a $20 bill. like was said before dont volinteer for anything, youll wish you hadnt. dont let them break you, and believe you me they will try. do what they say and dont ask questions. i joined september 5 of 2000, and it wasnt too hot or too cold. you should be doing pt in the mornings and maybe the last week or two you will do it in the afternoon. you will march everywhere, hurry up and wait. read that binder they give you and remember it, knowledge of that will get you out of a few things. use every chance you get to go to church or to the BX, mini mart, or what ever they are calling it. learn to make your bed the way they say, and fold your clothes perfect. dont show up with extremely long or short hair, wear it like you have it. when you first get there they will single out a few people and give them the chewing of thier life, just to make a first impession, dont work none of what they do or say is personal. you should be in be by 9 or 10 every night and up at 5;30 or 6 i think, dont remember for sure. every other day is a run day and opposite of those are calistinics(sp?) when you first get to worrior week, get the good MREs. take care of your body, wash all your parts no matter how emberessing you think it is to was your @ss crack in front of 10 other guys, do it. if you get a cool TI they will sit and chat with everyone toward the end of the day, if so, ask them any questions you can think of. have your partents and friends send you letters, this will really ease the stress of the whole ordeal. all in all its not that bad, it only lasts 6 weeks(unless you screw up and get put on the 7 week program) hehe. 6 weeks aint sh1t. thats about all i can think of for now. holy crap that is long, i didnt expect it to be this way.

Originally posted by 2qk4u
im in the airforce stationed here in good old kansass. im a crewchief on a kc-135 airplane.

i have a good friend that is also stationed there and works the same plane as you. his name is bridger morris. his bro is KC, do ya know him?

2qk4u
09-18-2003, 03:02 PM
no havent heard of him

brodie200
09-18-2003, 06:23 PM
im leaving july 12 for boot camp i cant wait to go

400exstunta
09-18-2003, 06:56 PM
im in the Marine Corps. We arent all stuck up so please dont think that. In defense of Ewalker, I dont think he meant any harm, just joking around more than likely. JMO.

As for getting prepared, Im not sure really since I dont know what your branch will be like. For mine I didnt prepare to much. I was already in great shape and that was the only thing I could think of to do in advance.

Be prepared to not like anything youre going to have to do. I dont know how long your boot camp is but just remember that it doesnt last forever.

If youd like a to have someone to write to you, IM me for my address, I will write back to you and send you some dirt wheels or something while your there. I know that letters from fmailyand friends got me through.

Mike

thanks for serving brother, welcome to the family.

F-16Guy
09-18-2003, 07:25 PM
If you want to make it through Air Force basic training, LEARN TO FOLD CLOTHES!!!! Yeah, being in decent shape helps, but what's really important to the T.I.s is attention to detail and adherance to regulations and procedures. You will spend the majority of your day cleaning, dusting, aligning bunks, and FOLDING CLOTHES. They have to be folded perfectly as per the book they will give you, with the edges perfectly square and aligned. You might want to practice polishing boots, too. The T.I.s like to walk throught the dorms and inspect boots at about 3:00am. If they see a pair they don't like, everyone will hear about it!! It's kind of funny if you take a step back and don't take anything personally. The first two weeks kind of suck, but after that, it's gravy. Have a fine Air Force day.:blah:

P.S.-- Keep your mouth shut unless spoken to. There's always one guy that opens his mouth all the time, don't be that guy.

Krazy Kid
09-18-2003, 08:06 PM
my sister just got back from basic she is in the army national guard...she said that they tried to go to every different church think they could to get a break and they found a particular religion that after mass they feed you cake and ice cream and chit......and suddenly the whole company joined the religion!! lol:D

L.Vegas400
09-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Have a fine Air Force day.:blah:

damn i hate that saying. :confused2 :scary:

09-18-2003, 10:45 PM
this is all cool info. for someone who wants to joi nthe airforce at 16....i will be using it as a stepping stone & hope to become a commercia lpilot when im through. MY grades right now arent the greatest so I can only pray now. I'm sure being in the Civil Air Patrol for 3 years will help though later down the road. :D

popo
09-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400

Could be worse, Why not Minot

popo
09-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 250exer
I I ran warehouses in the Air Force and now do it for the worlds largest medical device manufacturer.

Is that for Medtronic?

F-16Guy
09-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
Yah, it even pisses me off when I say it! :devil:

250exer
09-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Popo

Yes - Medtronic

Are you an employee, customer, medical professional, etc...

popo
09-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by 250exer
Popo

Yes - Medtronic

Are you an employee, customer, medical professional, etc...

I used to work there, and am good friends Earl Bakken.

Great place to work for. I miss it sometimes