PDA

View Full Version : Taking off the axle of my 400, need help

svwildcats
09-17-2003, 06:57 PM
I need to take off my axle to get to my bearing carrier but I have encountered a problem. The bolt that holds the hub on is soo tight I cant even move it by jumping on the socket wrench. Do you think there could be loctite on it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James

jmoney45
09-17-2003, 07:03 PM
The nut is actually two nuts and you have to loosen the outer one first. I think it's a reverse thread but it's been so long I don't remember. I had to use a pipe wrench and stand on it to get it off. Do a search on here for more info as it has been discussed before. You just have to make sure you are turning the outer nut the right way. If you have a service manual i'm sure it tells you which way.

toby400ex
09-17-2003, 07:32 PM
If u are behind the quad the inside nut turns down, along with the outside nut. Or if ur on the right side of the quad facing it, both nuts turn to the left to back off to reveal the little clip that u have to remove to get the nuts off the axel.:o

svwildcats
09-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks I'll try that when I get home from school tomorrow.

Braff1
09-17-2003, 08:00 PM
If you are talking about the Wheel Hub axle nut you need a big breaker bar. If you are talking about the other lock nut it is reverse thread. Turn the nut on the left down toward the ground, toward the rear of the quad.

zfire_28
09-18-2003, 02:11 AM
I put a 4 foot pipe on my ratchet. worked great:D

skidplate
09-18-2003, 04:12 AM
For hub nut, I also used a 4' pipe over the ratchet.
JB

svwildcats
09-18-2003, 05:23 PM
thanks guys. i used the 4ft pipe over the rachet method and got the hub nut off and am on to the lock nut ? i think thats what its called. Anyways does the outside nut have reversed threads and the inside one normal threads? Thanks for the help.

James

remlapr
09-18-2003, 05:41 PM
they are both reversed threaded - if you are behind the quad turning them down loosen them up. You want to hold the outer nut stationary and turn the inner nut towards the carrier - push down on the wrench.

svwildcats
09-18-2003, 07:49 PM
I got it out thanks for all your help.

09-18-2003, 08:16 PM
why does my hub keep coming looose? is it stripped? after about 45 minutes of riding it will be loose again. the spindles aint seems to be broken or chipped

svwildcats
09-19-2003, 02:07 PM
I've got the axle out and everything but now i cant get the carrier out. Its driving me crazy. I cant even move the chain adjuster. Which is why I'm taking this apart. Please help. Thanks

James

JOEX
09-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
why does my hub keep coming looose? is it stripped? after about 45 minutes of riding it will be loose again. the spindles aint seems to be broken or chipped
I have read that the stock lock nut is notorious for comming loose once it is removed. Some people wrap it with electrical tape to hold it in place. I reccommend getting an aftermarket nut with pinch bolts, they run about $40-45.

Joe

Pappy
09-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by svwildcats
I've got the axle out and everything but now i cant get the carrier out. Its driving me crazy. I cant even move the chain adjuster. Which is why I'm taking this apart. Please help. Thanks

James

did you fully loosen the bolts at the very end of the swing arm? if so then take a block of wood...place of the end of the axle/wheel hub...and give it a smack.

JOEX
09-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by svwildcats

James
I'm assuming you loosened the four allen head bolts on the swing arm...

Try using a piece of wood and a hammer to puond it out. You probably will want to use some kind of penitrating oil first....

Joe

svwildcats
09-20-2003, 06:07 AM
Yea I took those bolts out of the swing arm, I tryed everything from the block of wood and hitting it with a hammer and all kinds of stuff. I got tired of messing with it so I put it back together and took it to the honda shop near me last night. They're gonna have it done before my race this afternoon so hopefully all goes well. Thanks for all your help.

James