PDA

View Full Version : ?'s For all of you that have had a 250r and 400ex.......

foxracingboy
09-17-2003, 06:24 PM
well i gave rid of the craptor. and looking at getting a 400ex are a 250r. which one did yall like better for MX, ect... and what ever one i get i'm going to get engine mods done to it
thanks

Punk'd
09-17-2003, 06:25 PM
250 w/o question:huh 400 isnt even in its own class :rolleyes:

stupid driver
09-17-2003, 06:46 PM
it really depends on your style. I have seen some sweet 400's out there that would give the 250 a run for its money. If you are always WFO, get a 250, as that is how it likes to be ridden = better lap times. If you are a little less experienced, or you like to lug out the motor a bit in the corners, get a 400. Also, you can make a 250 faster for a lot less than a 400. Bottom line, Theys both HONDA'S :D

lil400exman
09-17-2003, 06:47 PM
the r will give the absolute best bang for the buck man i reccomend gusseting the frame a 265 some a-arms shocks rear re-valve axle a swinger and u got a local region winner man........:D

jerry-89-250R
09-17-2003, 06:49 PM
a 400 may not be in the R's class as the guy above said, but a 440 IS, i had both 89R 99440ex, i still have the 440, but i do love the R's, just didn't both

nacs400ex
09-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Well if you wanna do MX for sure the R. Like lil400exman said, best bang for the buck. I had enough BS with the 400ex, because compared to a 2-strokes the 4-strokes cost more money to mod out. I am building up the R better, and then selling the 400. Theres a guy in the circuit with a esr350 PV and let me tell you, the thing HAULS. It will stay with a KTM 520 Eastcost ATV quad. He also has WAY less money into the R then the KTM. It pretty much performs the same. Just the 4-stroke has the arm-ripping torque.

Chanman420q
09-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Well if you wanna do MX for sure the R. Like lil400exman said, best bang for the buck. I had enough BS with the 400ex, because compared to a 2-strokes the 4-strokes cost more money to mod out. I am building up the R better, and then selling the 400. Theres a guy in the circuit with a esr350 PV and let me tell you, the thing HAULS. It will stay with a KTM 520 Eastcost ATV quad. He also has WAY less money into the R then the KTM. It pretty much performs the same. Just the 4-stroke has the arm-ripping torque.

and thats the tourge i love:devil:

no 2 strokes for me

markeg192
09-17-2003, 07:40 PM
R's are great bike's but they are old and costly to keep up. Like the other guy said a 440 will run with R's and alot less maintance.

lil400exman
09-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
R's are great bike's but they are old and costly to keep up. Like the other guy said a 440 will run with R's and alot less maintance.
but 440's are bad cuase thats the biggest you can go on ur honda cylinder wihtout doing some major Arse work to the motor a 310r will kill a 440 and a 310r kit is the same price as a good 440 kit so in fact a r is cheaper but takes longer to get the feel for but i ride dirtbikes too so it wasnt too hard for me to get the feel of it........:D

Narly R
09-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Get either a 265pv or 350pv r!;)

310Rduner
09-17-2003, 08:41 PM
Even if two comparably built bikes, the 440 Vs an R, the R is going to FEEL a lot faster, even if in that case it is just as fast as the 440. There is no comparison between the feeling of an accelerating 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. The 2 strokes have more eye-watering acceleration than any 4 stroke could ever wish to have, so long as you aren't spinning tires lol.

A 2 stroke is much easier to modify and maintain, the engine work is MUCH simpler, and easier to pick up on than a 4 stroke engine. Besides having to replace a few worn parts, the R will give you no troubles from the engine. Once you have fixed them up, ( or bought one in great condition) they will perform forever with only normal maintanence, and a Piston/ Ring change every couple months ( like 200 bucks for a Pro-x 310 or higher cylinder)

All you have to do is line up a 250R next to a 400ex and you will see the differences right away. R's sit a couple inches lower, and will turn much faster and sharper due to a low Center of Gravity. There is not a single piece of technology on a 250R that is outdated, in fact the R has much more technology in it than the much more complex 400ex motor. I think at the bottom frame rail my R sits about 2 inches lower than a 400ex ( both stock shock heights).

Dry weight on a 250R is 330lbs Vs 375lbs for the 400ex.

The joy in 2 stroke engines is in the power-weight ratios, and the amazing feel of actually HAVING a powerband.

2 strokes are alot more tiring to ride for long periods, but for a little more rider effort you get so much more out of an R than a 4 stroke.

If you buy an R, and you go to your riding spot it is a guarantee that it will garner attention from everyone else, and for good reason, everyone is still in awe by them.

:macho

lil400exman
09-17-2003, 09:29 PM
so true i wouldnt trade my r for nutin! and i loved my 400 with all my heart!:eek: :o :devil:

Nausty
09-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by punk'd
250 w/o question:huh 400 isnt even in its own class :rolleyes:

yeah right, i've smoked plenty of 250r's and other bikes on the mx track. Its all rider bro! Personally i'd go w/ the 400ex because its a 4 stroke and the low end torque is great and it is so simple and predictable which makes it a great mx machine. Once you get some motor mods that should be all the power you'll ever need on a mx track. jmo, from my experience having a lot of power doesn't really get a lot of riders anywhere because imo most of them use it as a crutch and don't hold there momentum through the technical stuff making it a sinch to keep up w/ them.

JTRtrx250r
09-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
R's are great bike's but they are old and costly to keep up. Like the other guy said a 440 will run with R's and alot less maintance. man I cant stand hearing ppl say that..if you know how to maintain your unit like its supposed be,it's JUST as reliable as any 4stroke,:rolleyes: abuse and neglect any quad and you'll be watchin' instead of riding,,try comparing the cost to make it fast....,my R is just as reliable as any 4stroke I have ever had....,R's are usually quicker,lighter and more agile IMO,my pal has twice the $$ into his 400 and I can fly right on by him..,I will say you dont need as much skill to holeshot on a 400,if your not getting the power to the groung...it dont matter anyway..

310Rduner
09-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
man I cant stand hearing ppl say that..if you know how to maintain your unit like its supposed be,it's JUST as reliable as any 4stroke,:rolleyes: abuse and neglect any quad and you'll be watchin' instead of riding,,try comparing the cost to make it fast....,my R is just as reliable as any 4stroke I have ever had....,R's are usually quicker,lighter and more agile IMO,my pal has twice the $$ into his 400 and I can fly right on by him..,I will say you dont need as much skill to holeshot on a 400,if your not getting the power to the groung...it dont matter anyway..

Yeah, I'll second that. Ever notice how.. the only people complaining about maintenance.. DON'T own an R...:rolleyes:

Pappy
09-17-2003, 11:10 PM
ive had both. i liked them both in different ways and for different reasons. i like the 4strokes ability to putt around...and i like the 2 stroke ability to make ya feel like you are doing mach 3.

maintence isnt much more on a R then a 400ex. once you learn what to do its actually very easy.

as cheap as R's are right now...id think someone would be foolish not to atleast try one.

JTRtrx250r
09-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
ive had both. i liked them both in different ways and for different reasons. i like the 4strokes ability to putt around...and i like the 2 stroke ability to make ya feel like you are doing mach 3.

maintence isnt much more on a R then a 400ex. once you learn what to do its actually very easy.

as cheap as R's are right now...id think someone would be foolish not to atleast try one. well said Pappy,I dont wanna sound like its the R or nothing,I love both myself...just hate to hear ppl dis'n the R,to each his own tho,and w/ all that being said...I plan on getting another 4st as soon as possible,I seem to have the luck of getting ready to go riding and realize Im outta pre-mix...usualluy on Sundays...thats when I really wish I had a 400 haha:D

09-17-2003, 11:36 PM
i like 400exs there easy to take care of, the power is fun there just needs to be more, they handle great, they corner great, i love it